Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 168 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes of course. Fans should look at what McBurnie has shown he cannot fo at international level - score. His off-field antics too ate not becoming of someone in our squad. He had his chances and blew them. If he was a goalscoring machine for us I would perhaps be more accommodating but he is not. Picking him would be a bog syep backwards. 

I mean just over a year ago nearly everyone was wanting Griffiths back in the squad. I'd argue he's as big a scumbag as McBurnie. We also had a CB who caved in a cooks scull with a baseball bat. 

I'm not saying we should give McBurnie a call up (far from it). Just saying we had 2 scumbags in our squads just over a year ago.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I mean just over a year ago nearly everyone was wanting Griffiths back in the squad. I'd argue he's as big a scumbag as McBurnie. We also had a CB who caved in a cooks scull with a baseball bat. 

I'm not saying we should give McBurnie a call up (far from it). Just saying we had 2 scumbags in our squads just over a year ago.

Still the fact remains he is not good enough now for our squad. We need strikers who score goals at international level and that is not McBurnie. Had his chances (plenty of them) and blew them. Time for others to show if they can score at international level.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

KT, Mcginn, Scott McKenna, Ryan Fraser , Ryan Christie and Robbo all starting in the EPL this evening. 

Interesting to see how Mckenna gets on v Haaland and Co., just looked at Celtic line up, good that Ralston and Welsh get first starts of the season but disappointing no youngsters even on the bench especially as B game postponed, also noticed promising player owen Moffat has moved to Blackpool. 

51 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Still the fact remains he is not good enough now for our squad. We need strikers who score goals at international level and that is not McBurnie. Had his chances (plenty of them) and blew them. Time for others to show if they can score at international level.

What exactly are goals at international level?  Do Moldova San Marino and the Faroe Isles count? Perhaps if McBurnie had played against any of them he might have a goal or two. 

Perhaps travelling to Kazakhstan, Mexico and Peru without scoring proves you cant hack, it I don't know.

Adams is class, but suggestions of Shankland are a joke so basically as out and out strikers we have Brown, Stewart, and Dykes none of which have even proved themselves as good Championship strIkers.

To say McBurnie isn't good enough is one thing to say he cant be is another thing altogether.

17 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Interesting to see how Mckenna gets on v Haaland and Co., just looked at Celtic line up, good that Ralston and Welsh get first starts of the season but disappointing no youngsters even on the bench especially as B game postponed, also noticed promising player owen Moffat has moved to Blackpool. 

Hopefully better than he did against Kane and Co.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What exactly are goals at international level?  Do Moldova San Marino and the Faroe Isles count? Perhaps if McBurnie had played against any of them he might have a goal or two. 

Perhaps travelling to Kazakhstan, Mexico and Peru without scoring proves you cant hack, it I don't know.

Adams is class, but suggestions of Shankland are a joke so basically as out and out strikers we have Brown, Stewart, and Dykes none of which have even proved themselves as good Championship strIkers.

To say McBurnie isn't good enough is one thing to say he cant be is another thing altogether.

WTF

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp scoops award ahead of Man United clash - Daily  Star

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Shankland and Burke have proven they can score at international level with fewer caps than McBurnie. Before we even think about McBurnie in any case there are two other players who have proven they can score at international level who are selected as attackers in Christie and Fraser hence why McBurnie is out of the equation. And yes goals against whatever opposition for Scotland is international level and McBurnie has played against lesser opposition too and still not scored.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Shankland and Burke have proven they can score at international level with fewer caps than McBurnie. Before we even think about McBurnie in any case there are two other players who have proven they can score at international level who are selected as attackers in Christie and Fraser hence why McBurnie is out of the equation. And yes goals against whatever opposition for Scotland is international level and McBurnie has played against lesser opposition too and still not scored.

Thanks, I guess there are players that cant repeat their club form at international level.

But please don't mention Shankland, I'm not counting any of the goals in a swimming pool against San Marino.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Not very well so far, Man City are currently 3-0 up thanks to a Haaland hat-trick (funny how a small country like Norway can produce a forward like Haaland and we're talking excitedly about players like Fraser Hornby and Lawrence Shankland!).

Ryan Fraser starting and playing well for Newcastle against Liverpool. Very entertaining game.

56 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Another goal for Ross Stewart tonight. I’ve watched most of Sunderland’s games and he’s adjusted well to the step up. With Dykes struggling this season so far I’d like to see Stewart get more of a chance.

2 goals for stewart tonight. If he carries this up then he will be gone in january to the epl. Hes clearly good enough for this level and has to be given gametime in these upcoming september games. Adams and stewart upfront might be worth a try or a 433 with fraser stewart and adams being the front three. 

Either way its great that stewart has started well in the championship. Perhaps hes our version of jamie vardy.

Seems like stewart only has 1 year left on his contract which will make it easier for him to get a move to the epl imo. Sunderland will have the choice of cashing in on their prize asset in january or keeping him in the hope he scores the goals that get them promotion. If they dont get promotion then any epl club can pick him up for free or he can stay if he wants but i doubt he would pass up the chance to play in the epl.

Edited by mccaughey85

2 hours ago, ger intae them said:

I don’t think anyone ever got excited about those two……. hopeful maybe, but not excited.

I think some people are, particularly regarding Shankland, who some posters seem to have a real hard-on for. Two goals from open play so far this season - after two seasons of utter mediocrity - and he's been spoken about as a Scotland striker again!

1 hour ago, Rab The Crab said:

Another goal for Ross Stewart tonight. I’ve watched most of Sunderland’s games and he’s adjusted well to the step up. With Dykes struggling this season so far I’d like to see Stewart get more of a chance.

It's a tricky one. Dykes has shown he can score at international level but he is clearly out of form currently.

Stewart, on the other hand, is in excellent form at the moment but in his brief appearances for Scotland to date he's looked a million miles away from being an international striker.

If I was picking the team I certainly wouldn't be leaving one out in preference of the other.

I’d play Stewart up front with McGinn off him as the 2nd striker. Stewart has his limitations, his link up play is decent but not great, he rarely if ever turns or rolls his marker/defender. But he is good at finding space in the box and getting on the end of moves. He works hard, has good pace, has a physical presence and aerial threat. I think he’s the best we’ve got at the moment to lead the line. My 1st choice pairing up front would be 

Stewart and McGinn with

Dykes and Adams as backup, competition. 

I wouldn’t write off McBurnie or even Burke yet but they’d have to show good form over a decent timeframe to get near the squad. 

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Seems like stewart only has 1 year left on his contract which will make it easier for him to get a move to the epl imo. Sunderland will have the choice of cashing in on their prize asset in january or keeping him in the hope he scores the goals that get them promotion. If they dont get promotion then any epl club can pick him up for free or he can stay if he wants but i doubt he would pass up the chance to play in the epl.

Sunderland have an option for another year, so would have to be a big fee to get him away from there in the next year.