Reasons for optimism - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reasons for optimism

Taylor1996

4 minutes ago, exile said:

On strikers. What about Nisbet? Not hearing much of an opinion on him, yet he scored the other day against NL.

On absence of strikers. If we are putting in too many balls that are too difficult for our strikers to put away, should we change the way we attack?

I like him. His finish against the Netherlands was a really good one. He did well on his cameo against the Czechs.

He's a good addition to the squad.

In terms of a striker, long term, we need someone to really step up next season.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Don't want to quote the obvious, but that was 22 years ago. They also still put us out

I think it's a relevant comparison. We were on the back foot, beaten miserably at home, the English were anticipating a stroll in the park, many were fearing a rout, we had to pick ourselves up, we won on the night. It's an antidote to defeatism.

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I like him. His finish against the Netherlands was a really good one. He did well on his cameo against the Czechs.

He's a good addition to the squad.

In terms of a striker, long term, we need someone to really step up next season.

Hmm, yet only a couple of people chose Nisbet in the Team v England thread.

6 minutes ago, exile said:

I think it's a relevant comparison. We were on the back foot, beaten miserably at home, the English were anticipating a stroll in the park, many were fearing a rout, we had to pick ourselves up, we won on the night. It's an antidote to defeatism.

We also had a much, much better record of qualifying and I would say the team were more equal to England then than we are now. We can't gloss over the fact how good England's results record is over the past few years. On the whole, the one thing they do (that we can't) is have a an also perfect record of beating teams that they should  be beating

42 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Don't want to quote the obvious, but that was 22 years ago. They also still put us out

I would say that was the last time we were competitive on the world stage, could easily have won home and away.

I'm not counting the two jammy wins against the French, we should have lost both.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

1. England have a fantastic record of beating teams below them in the rankings. At Wembley, they're virtually unbeatable (3 years ago was their last defeat and that was to Spain)

2. Our record against top teams is pretty abysmal. When was the last time we even achieved a draw, away from home against a top ranked side?

Sorry, love the optimism, but I can't see anything different on Friday

Love the realism , but can you take it to one of the other 47 threads , this is for optimists and the mentally deranged 🙂

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

They were brilliant, although a draw would have kept our faint hopes of qualifying alive more.

A wales 2 nil win isnt a bad thing for us presumming Italy win tonight.

We would then be hoping for a Turkey win or draw in last game vs the Swiss. That leaves 3rd place either on 3 points with poor GD or 2 points.

53 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

We also had a much, much better record of qualifying and I would say the team were more equal to England then than we are now. We can't gloss over the fact how good England's results record is over the past few years. On the whole, the one thing they do (that we can't) is have a an also perfect record of beating teams that they should  be beating

I get that but they have had their share of poor results at major tournaments when they were expected to win. Iceland? A draw against Slovakia? A draw against Russia?

1 hour ago, exile said:

On strikers. What about Nisbet? Not hearing much of an opinion on him, yet he scored the other day against NL.

On absence of strikers. If we are putting in too many balls that are too difficult for our strikers to put away, should we change the way we attack?

You might be onto something there. The definition of insanity is to try the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Robertson, in particular, has created so many great chances the last 3 games, and the only player to take advantage of his crosses was Nisbet. So, maybe playing Nisbet is a shout, if we are going to persist with the same formula. Otherwise, maybe we should utilise our myriad of attaking midfielders and try something different.

It really all depends on Tierney. If he is fit, stick with the system. If he isn't, then there are other options to us that might be worth pursuing. 

Edited by Tartan blood

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If they had the same set of options? Probably.

This tournament shows how much better Wales are than us......sadly.

Robertson or Tierney are the only players that would have improved the Wales team today and it would be one place at left back. And even at that their left back isn't bad.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Robertson or Tierney are the only players that would have improved the Wales team today and it would be one place at left back. And even at that their left back isn't bad.

That’s nonsense, and of course they’d pick Patterson every time over O’Donnell. 

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney, Robertson, Mctominay, mcginn, and Adams would be starters for them. Armstrong, gilmour, fraser would also get in their first team regularly. 

Wales havent got a stronger squad than us but they play well together and they have a genuine world class game changer of a player in bale. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that but they have had their share of poor results at major tournaments when they were expected to win. Iceland? A draw against Slovakia? A draw against Russia?

Iceland beat Netherlands home and away and qualification group winners Czech rep, so they were a good team and were much better than us, so not really that much of a shock. Judging by our last results against them, Russia are better than us as well

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierney, Robertson, Mctominay, mcginn, and Adams would be starters for them. Armstrong, gilmour, fraser would also get in their first team regularly. 

Wales havent got a stronger squad than us but they play well together and they have a genuine world class game changer of a player in bale. 

Gilmour and Patterson would also start for Wales. 

2 hours ago, exile said:

Agreed. We also had a 20 year old in centre midfield that night who controlled everything……

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Wales have two world class game changing players in bale and Hughes. They would likely beat us in a one off game.

Definitely. They had a thing on one of the game buildups the other day and someone from the wish FA was being interviewed, about 10 years ago, they started their own performance school, which seems to be bearing fruit at a great rate.  Most of their players then go onto England, where a lot then get the benefit of training at top English clubs, so they're reaping from basically hanging onto English club coat tails

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Last Euros ; wales qualified for their first tournament since baggy shorts and black & white tv but made huge impact

ditto ireland 88 ; then first world cup in 90 ….

we re one game in again ; and playing what if permutations ; blaming the ref ;   And the futile - if you took away their forward would be an even game

bit like saying if paul scholes wasnt playing in 99 ( and we had a better finisher than kevin gallacher one on one with seaman ) we d have won - again we had a lot of the ball that day - i dont have the pointless moneyball stats at hand , but was another day when we couldnt score