The Mathematics Thread - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mathematics Thread

Caledonian Craig

I’ve just realised this. If Finland beat Belgium tonight and Russia lose then we will be playing against Finland in Sevilla in the Round of 16, granted the third place team from Spain’s group is one of the best. Due to the fact Finland will finish above Belgium on H2H

Edited by Jamessm238

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

We certainly down want two draws here 

Wouldn’t be the end of the world but we would need to win by 2 clear goals at least to finish above Finland.

It would certainly be better than Finland and Russia wins. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Very good. 

A wee Belgium goal just to make sure please. 

If the Denmark v Russia score stays the same and Belgium win, then someone will definitely qualify from that group with just 3 points!

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

'ere you go...

1161733482_Screenshot2021-05-27at10_59_3

Basically if there's a 3rd place qualifier from groups E and F along with us we'll be at Hampden. 

When we win tomorrow, we need to hope that the third place teams in groups E and F each finish with at least four points (assuming the group B results stay as they currently are at half time).

If that happens, the third place teams from groups A, D, E & F would go through, meaning we play at Hampden.

Once we win the second round match at Hampden, we then head to Rome for the quarter final, before playing the semi and final at Wembley. 

The open top bus victory parade through Glasgow will be on Monday 12 July.

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Belgium Finland game is pretty pish, only watching it as is important. Hopefully Finland succumb to the pressure in the second half but they are defending well. 

The Denmark game is just as important, and is a decent game in front of a great crowd 👍🏼

49 minutes ago, Jamessm238 said:

I’ve just realised this. If Finland beat Belgium tonight and Russia lose then we will be playing against Finland in Sevilla in the Round of 16, granted the third place team from Spain’s group is one of the best. Due to the fact Finland will finish above Belgium on H2H

I just logged on to post this. I think Denmark would need to put a few on Russia to make sure, as they’d need to finish above anyone else who finishes third on 3 points.

As I understand it, if Denmark win by enough, they could go through in second if Finland lose. So they will have a real incentive to keep scoring and make the win secure, not settle for 1-0, as 3rd place on 3 points would be a limited chance.

2 hours ago, exile said:

I can see both sides, half empty and half full.

For those taking the field of play of course you have to be positive and believe you can win, for whatever reason, because you beat them before, because your side is on the up, because you have home advantage.

But as fans working out our chances based on permutations of other teams' scores, it's reasonable to be analytic about it, and add the probability of Scotland winning as one of the variables.

If we're (say) twice as likely to go through with a 2-0 compared to 1-0, due to other group results, it's reasonable also to consider that we could be half as likely to actually win 2-0 as 1-0...

I totally get your reasoning, it just made me laugh as everyone is scrabbling about with their excel spreadsheets trying to work out possible scenarios within the other groups and you state, quite rightly,  the most difficult scenario of all is probably us winning 😊

It must be shit supporting Italy  , France and Germany and never having this excitement 😁