Opening Game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opening Game

The Black Bra

Was thinking that, on paper at least, the first game against the Czechs is our most winnable, even if we were maybe lucky to beat them twice last year. If we got 3 points in that game it would set us up brilliantly for the rest of the group, it’s possible we could sneak through with 3 points anyway. Really want to see us go for a win and not be too negative.

On that note, have we ever won our opening game? First tournament I can clearly remember is ‘86. I could google it but I know a load if you will soon tell me! Was Zaire first game in ‘74? What about ‘82? I know Peru were first in ‘78.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our last opening game victory was at Spain WC 1982 - We beat New Zealand 5-2, lost the middle game to one of the best ever Brazilian sides, and drew with USSR (a game we needed to (and should have) won, I was 16 that world cup, cant believe i'm 55 now. :lol:

36 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Our last opening game victory was at Spain WC 1982 - We beat New Zealand 5-2, lost the middle game to one of the best ever Brazilian sides, and drew with USSR (a game we needed to (and should have) won, I was 16 that world cup, cant believe i'm 55 now. :lol:

Shipped a couple of terrible goals in the NZ game. IIRC Danny McGrain had a howler. If we'd won 5-0 the draw with the Soviets would've been enough :(

17 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Shipped a couple of terrible goals in the NZ game. IIRC Danny McGrain had a howler. If we'd won 5-0 the draw with the Soviets would've been enough :(

Why does that not surprise me :lol:

There's no doubt winning the first game is our most likely victory from rankings. Getting a win against Austria or Israel would have provided a bit more confidence from last games but if we can impress in friendlies and get a couple of wins or at least not lose against Netherlands. and not bottle it then at least we are going there 5 games unbeaten in a little bit of form.

We must have exhausted every known mathematical computation of just losing out on qualifying to the 2nd round so hopefully this time we can at least play to potential, with some tactical nous and maybe get a bit of luck also - i.e. if the ref isn't fooled by a Sterling, Grealish or Maddison dive in the box.

22 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

There's no doubt winning the first game is our most likely victory from rankings. Getting a win against Austria or Israel would have provided a bit more confidence from last games but if we can impress in friendlies and get a couple of wins or at least not lose against Netherlands. and not bottle it then at least we are going there 5 games unbeaten in a little bit of form.

We must have exhausted every known mathematical computation of just losing out on qualifying to the 2nd round so hopefully this time we can at least play to potential, with some tactical nous and maybe get a bit of luck also - i.e. if the ref isn't fooled by a Sterling, Grealish or Maddison dive in the box.

Maddison left out the squad so one less to worry about.

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Aye right enough that's good then. Mind you just did a quick google and see that Kane is considered one of the worst divers so he can be added in.

No one really dives in the England squad. 

We should be more concerned with Kane scoring a hat trick than diving 

The "diving" issue opens up an entire can of word. I have my views on the matter, doubt it's a popular view.

Just last week Patrick Bamford was fouled in the box. He didn't go down. The result was no penalty. But if he "dived" it would've been given.

He even said to the ref "Do I have to dive to get the penalty?"

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Aye right enough that's good then. Mind you just did a quick google and see that Kane is considered one of the worst divers so he can be added in.

VAR will be in use so we will be very unlucky to get banjaxed by a dodgy penalty decision. 

OK so VAR isn’t perfect but if it’s a blatant dive we should be fine. 

The other day my wife feigned interest in the euros so I explained how it works, to which she replied. 'So you put up with 23 years of misery followed by the euphoria just to get another 3 games of football?!  Way to burst my bubble woman 😁

19 minutes ago, todd said:

The other day my wife feigned interest in the euros so I explained how it works, to which she replied. 'So you put up with 23 years of misery followed by the euphoria just to get another 3 games of football?!  Way to burst my bubble woman 😁

Yikes!

Put her forward for the lead for the new Terminator movie. ;)

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

VAR will be in use so we will be very unlucky to get banjaxed by a dodgy penalty decision. 

OK so VAR isn’t perfect but if it’s a blatant dive we should be fine. 

Aye but you know what I mean, it's one thing that hasn't put us out of a first round yet. It's not been without its controversy this season in the EPL. Kane was called out by MOTD recently as a particularly clever move backing into a defender to gain a penalty,  there's YouTube videos about Sterlings dives and loads of WA jokes on Grealish. Hope you're right though 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I would have been happier playing the Czechs las as it is the most winnable.  Opening games are often tight and often draws.  I can see us drawing that and losing the next two.

Na, this order is perfect.

Easiest at home first. Get points and momentum / belief.

Derby v them at an almost empty Wembley. No home advantage. Game on.

Tough final game, but if we can take qualification to the last game I’ll be happy. 

To quote unlucky Alf from the fast show

”Knowing our luck we will lose all the games, and go ome with nil points.”

J

1 hour ago, Bristolhibby said:

Tough final game, but if we can take qualification to the last game I’ll be happy. 

J

I know Croatia's Modric just won Real Madrid's player of the year, but Turnbull won Celtic's player of the year as well. So basically the same...

In all seriousness, Croatia are significantly weaker than they were when they got to the world cup final. Their recent stats are pretty poor and Rakitic, Mandzukic, Corluka and Subasic have all retired. Modric is still a class act, but he is nearly 36. I wouldn't write off our young lads giving them a competitive game.

All 3 games are up for grabs.

1 hour ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Got a feeling that with the format of the tournament, we could lose the first two games and still have a chance of going through if we beat Croatia so do t think that game can be a dead rubber...

What do we reckon for the friendlies next week then?

Im thinking Clarke’s XI for the euros will start against the Netherlands and then against Luxembourg he plays players on the verge of starting Forrest Patterson Armstrong etc and sees if they are worth starting instead

9 minutes ago, Jamessm238 said:

What do we reckon for the friendlies next week then?

Im thinking Clarke’s XI for the euros will start against the Netherlands and then against Luxembourg he plays players on the verge of starting Forrest Patterson Armstrong etc and sees if they are worth starting instead

That makes sense and I think that's what will happen. We want to avoid an embarrassing confidence-affecting performance v Netherlands.

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Got a feeling that with the format of the tournament, we could lose the first two games and still have a chance of going through if we beat Croatia so do t think that game can be a dead rubber...

It is possible for it to be a dead rubber (for Scotland anyway) if Croatia and England have 4 points, Czechs have 3 and we have 0. 

We’ll need at least a point from our first 2 games I think to guarantee the Croatia game means something. Even then we could be relying on other results going our way. 

Let’s just beat the Czechs and England and we can party against Croatia. 

Edited by Texas Pete

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Might be in front of an empty stadium at this rate. 

I doubt it. There are 90 people in hospital with Covid and 6 people in intensive care in the whole of Scotland. Going by Sturgeon’s comments today, unless these figures significantly increase over the next week I think Glasgow will be moved to level 2 next Saturday. 

Even if Glasgow remains at level 3 I have a feeling an exception will be made for the Euros matches unless cases really take off and hospitalisations and deaths increase. If this happens then we could be looking at level 4 again.