The news thread - Page 177 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, aaid said:

As with everything the situation in the middle east is a lot more complicated and nuanced.   The problem post WW2 was always going to be where do you find the land for a homeland for stateless people.   As with a lot of the historic issues with the middle east, the UKG paws are all over it.

My knowledge on the pre war history of that part of the world isnt great but why did the jewish people not have a home nation before WW2?

I can understand world leaders wanting to create a jewish state after what happended to them during WW2 but why were the jewish people spread all over the world and not in a Jewish state in the 1st place?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

My knowledge on the pre war history of that part of the world isnt great but why did the jewish people not have a home nation before WW2?

I can understand world leaders wanting to create a jewish state after what happended to them during WW2 but why were the jewish people spread all over the world and not in a Jewish state in the 1st place?

That part of the world was part of the Ottoman Empire for centuries up until the end of the First World War.  Then the British proposed a Jewish Homeland in what was then called Mandatory Palestine - Britain at that time was administering it.   Jews at that time were a small minority of the population but increased in the 1920s and 30s with immigration from Europe in the face of fascism.  Post WW2, the Israelis carried out a guerrilla war against the British and essentially the British did what they’d done in Ireland in 1922 and India in 1947 and packed up and left the different factions to sort it out for themselves.

The history of the Jewish people over several millennia is way too complicated for a football message board. 

17 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I just woke up, it's 6am here. If what my wife has told me is true what Hamas is doing now, this must stop immediately. It's beyond sick and inhumane.. Fucking barbaric.. 

we at least agree on that Ramy.  The people that will suffer the most are their own as I fear enormous vengence from Israel.  They will flatten Gaza and that will mean Palestinian civilian casualties.  I can only hope that these are minimal whilst Hamas is rightfully destroyed.

16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we at least agree on that Ramy.  The people that will suffer the most are their own as I fear enormous vengence from Israel.  They will flatten Gaza and that will mean Palestinian civilian casualties.  I can only hope that these are minimal whilst Hamas is rightfully destroyed.

Good points. Israel will flatten Hamas. Only thing is, these are extremists, not humans. What's next? I can't even watch the news now I'm that bothered by what's happening now. 

30 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Massive OG from Hamas you would say. How can you justify exterminating nearly 300 folk at a rave? Executing kids, grandparents and Asian guest workers makes them look like ISIS 2.0.

I agree. It’s the cold blooded intentional murder of innocents here. This is not collateral damage, but deliberate terrorism.

I saw a video of protesters in london yesterday, they were supporting palestine. An argument started between them and a couple of jewish people. Both sides blaming each other whilst pointing at incidents from years gone by.

41 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Massive OG from Hamas you would say. How can you justify exterminating nearly 300 folk at a rave? Executing kids, grandparents and Asian guest workers makes them look like ISIS 2.0.

You can't

Also you can't justify the IDF and Israeli settlers "exterminating" a massively larger number of palestinians in a different way over the last 30 years +

As long as Hamas exist there will never be peace and Israel doesnt want it either because they know there will be something similar to replace Hamas (see the PLO) 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Biden sends an aircraft carrier group to the med to support Israel. Talk about sledgehammer to crack a nut

Wait till Iran puts the gloves on, and Hezbollah. It's going to get nasty. All out Donnybrook in the middle east. Here in Ottawa the Police are on high alert around synagogue and mosque.. Tensions are escalating around the world.. Fuck me this is not good for anyone....

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Biden sends an aircraft carrier group to the med to support Israel. Talk about sledgehammer to crack a nut

Maybe it's like one of ours with no planes

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, Shaundy said:

Just took a stroll . Our county hall is flying the Israeli flag beneath the Union flag. No doubt which side the uk establishment is and always has been in support of. 

Tory MSPs have been playing petty party politics, having a go at the Scottish Government, exploiting the suffering and deaths of ordinary Israelis in the Hamas attacks, and ordinary Palestinians in the inevitable retaliation.

I hope I'm not falling into the same trap myself but it seems the UK Government, which they think apparently still has influence on the global stage, has done very little to broker any peace deal in the Middle East. I appreciate the Gulf War has destabilised the whole of the Middle East but iirc at least Blair seemed to think it was worth trying to get parties together.

Since then I'm not really aware of much else done by the UK (or USA), except lean further and further towards Israel (eg Patel's dodgy visit, Trump recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital) which rules them out from being neutrals capable of being a catalyst for good.

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism