4 Points, 2 Hardest Games Of The Campaign Complete - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 Points, 2 Hardest Games Of The Campaign Complete

shanghaiscot

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat Ireland home and away we are there.

Think that pretty much somes it up tbh

If one of Poland/Ireland/Scotland can beat one of those nations home and away....they are definitely guaranteed 3rd place at least with 2nd place been highly likely

All 3 nations have had a very promising start to the campaign , so if one of them can beat one of its rivals both home and away then the advantage for them is huge

That is provided a defeat in Georgia or beating the germans in the return fixture doesnt happen .

As others have said, two of the hardest away games are out of the way - 1 point would have been a reasonable return before the campaign. For me, most concerning out the three games was the home game - we were pretty comfortable against Georgia but showed very little attacking edge and really should have beaten them by 3 or 4. They should have also scored and our defence has been very ropey. Germany aside, we must be looking to win our home games - next months being the most important IMO. Cannot afford to lose to Ireland and beating them would help persuade O'Neil had to attack us in Dublin and go for the win.

Have to say, I have various concerns about Hampden but I can't wait to get back there. Saturday was poor all round and Im not convinced we are going to feel settled until back at Hampden. I'd be a lot more confident of beating any team were we at Hampden - Saturday has kinda made me realise we still belong at Hampden. I presume we are back there for Gibraltar at home?

4 points from Ireland.

6 points from Gibraltar.

Another 3 from Georgia.

Another 3 from Poland.

Anything from Germany a bonus.

Gives us 20 points. Will be good enough for 3rd at the very least. Win all 6 against Ireland, have more for upset in Georgia or a poor performance against Poland. Absolute minimum: aim to win all home games.

Glass half full for me.

What about this:

3 points from the next game

and then

and then

3 points from the next game.

We ARE good enough, and we have to believe we are.

Remember all those people (many on here) who felt 4 points from the opening 2 games were acceptable in the last campaign?

This time WGS has transformed the team and the way they approach the games.

I walked out of both Dortmund and Warsaw thinking that we could have got more out of both games with a little more belief in ourselves - because we are good enough. Warsaw in particular, we merited taking the lead and promptly went 'Eeehhh............what do we do now we are in the lead??'.

Well, here's a thought - how about carry on doing what you had been doing brilliantly for the first 57 minutes!!!

We can - it's about us, and not anyone else.

WGS has done an excellent job with the same core squad that the previous incumbent subdued with his negative attitude. He's instilled a mentality in these guys that is wonderful to see. They believe they can win every time they take the field - let's have the same confidence as supporters of the team.

Edited by Barney Rubble

What about this:

and then

and then

3 points from the next game.

We ARE good enough, and we have to believe we are.

Remember all those people (many on here) who felt 4 points from the opening 2 games were acceptable in the last campaign?

This time WGS has transformed the team and the way they approach the games.

I walked out of both Dortmund and Warsaw thinking that we could have got more out of both games with a little more belief in ourselves - because we are good enough. Warsaw in particular, we merited taking the lead and promptly went 'Eeehhh............what do we do now we are in the lead??'.

Well, here's a thought - how about carry on doing what you had been doing brilliantly for the first 57 minutes!!!

We can - it's about us, and not anyone else.

WGS has done an excellent job with the same core squad that the previous incumbent subdued with his negative attitude. He's instilled a mentality in these guys that is wonderful to see. They believe they can win every time they take the field - let's have the same confidence as supporters of the team.

Yep 100%

That's something i've thought about for almost as long as i've seen leads been lost in fitba.

Since neither i (nor you) have ever played international football, we can only speculate.

My theory is that rather than Scotland consciously stopping playing the way they did, the Polish team had their mentality changed forcibly upon them because they had lost that goal. They increased their effort, workrate, concentration.

That resulted in us having to defend more to cover them.

Poland improved their play, and to counter the change in the game, we had to improve ours. We didn't, and lost the equaliser.

Being able to get wins from that 2-1 up position in Warsaw will only come with experience (i mean for both the players and manager).

I think it is clear that our defence is solid enough to withstand fleeting or sporadic attacks. However, if placed under long, sustained spells of pressure that is when the cracks begin to show and teams can force goals against us. It seems our best type of defence is to attack but that is easier said than done when the mental psyche creeps in to protect what you have.

The games against Ireland have a wee bit of a feeling of a play-off about them. If we take, say, 4 points from them then we will qualify; 2 points or less and we probably won't. As I said before they worry me. They aren't pretty on the eye, but they are a good, hardworking side who know what is required to qualify and are prepared to go out and do it. O'Neill will have little difficulty motivating them for the game next month.

If we look at it as a parallel to the recent Wales matches we all agree Bale is better than anything Ireland has to offer and he undone us. We lost both games but were unfortunate to do so and we have improved a heck of a lot since then and we have a competent manager at the helm and we have confidence and momentum that we never had then. Put all that together and I am hopeful of a far better showing in our matches against Ireland than we had against Wales.

That's something i've thought about for almost as long as i've seen leads been lost in fitba.

Since neither i (nor you) have ever played international football, we can only speculate.

My theory is that rather than Scotland consciously stopping playing the way they did, the Polish team had their mentality changed forcibly upon them because they had lost that goal. They increased their effort, workrate, concentration.

That resulted in us having to defend more to cover them.

Poland improved their play, and to counter the change in the game, we had to improve ours. We didn't, and lost the equaliser.

Being able to get wins from that 2-1 up position in Warsaw will only come with experience (i mean for both the players and manager).

The old "goals change games" cliché is so true. Mentality of both teams changed once we took the lead. They then started throwing the full backs forward automatically prompting anya and maloney to play a more defensive role. Maloney really isn't up to that. Cardiff in the last campaign maloney played in the wide role up against bale which was such a bad decision.

After taking the lead you then don't have to commit as many men forward to push for a goal and leave spaces to be countered. Unfortunately we aren't good enough at playing a defensively disciplined game when it comes to defending leads.

I'm sure Strachan will be addressing this as he has improved most of the other aspects of our game

we all agree Bale is better than anything Ireland has to offer and he undone us. We lost both games but were unfortunate to do so and we have improved a heck of a lot since then and we have a competent manager at the helm and we have confidence and momentum that we never had then. Put all that together and I am hopeful of a far better showing in our matches against Ireland than we had against Wales.

Bale is a machine mate........not many countries have anything like what Bale can offer ....including ye guys.

But maybe what you underestimate is that we have a better team spirit than wales and work harder for each other hence we get the results while wales....dont!

Absolutely we have no Bales ....but we have some very good players mixed with a combination of decent players , an excellent team spirit and willinginess to work extremely hard for the Jersey and each other.....which in the greater scheme of things is something I would rather have than a team who relies on one world class player.

Do you think Wales would have gone to Germany and put in the performance Scotland gave in Dortmund??.....I dont

Do you think Wales would have gone to Germany and got the point Ireland got?...... I dont

Despite Wales getting the upper hand in the Games against ye in the last Campaign ......I still would have preferred my lads to have drawn them over Scotland.

Ye are an improving side ...while ye have no Bales.....ye do have good players , excellent spirit and seem to have manager who knows what he is doing unlike the welsh......as I said above....give me that anyday ahead of a team that rely on one Superstar.

We have beatern Georgia away and taken points awaw from germany away.....dont think that momentum isnt now on our side either.

It would be silly of you to judge us based on one player my friend

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Obviously, Green Tide Rising you have more strength in depth than Wales and better manager but my point about Bale is that his magic (and diving) plus rough end of red decisions saw us lose twice against them in a local derby atmosphere. There seems a few Scots worried about our poor record in recent local derbies and I thought it wise to point out why we lost against Wales and re-iterate the great strides we have made since the dark days oof Levein. I have no doubts both games will be tight against Ireland.

Obviously, Green Tide Rising you have more strength in depth than Wales and better manager but my point about Bale is that his magic (and diving) plus rough end of red decisions saw us lose twice against them in a local derby atmosphere. There seems a few Scots worried about our poor record in recent local derbies and I thought it wise to point out why we lost against Wales and re-iterate the great strides we have made since the dark days oof Levein. I have no doubts both games will be tight against Ireland.

Tbh mate - i tend not to worry about past results and records ....and neither should ye.

England havent beaten us since 1986, we have excellent records against the welsh and northern Ireland and a pretty decent record against ye guys......but in all honesty that means sweet F.A when it comes to a local derby ......as strachan said .....Ireland V Scotland will be all about pride and passion, guts and determination .....past records wont come into it mate

There is no doubt ye have made huge strides under G.S and massive credit to him for putting ye back on the football map ...... equally you can see confidence coming back into our camp under MON after the Trappatoni shambles.

As for derby atmosphere's ......you wont get much more intense than a packed Lansdowne RD or Hampden Park (Celtic Park in this case) ........we both beat the welsh in that too :wink2:

Roll on the 2 games.....going to be cracking affairs :cheers3::ok:

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

re bale i dont think he had much to do with the hampden defeat. more snoddy hitting the post then getting a red card. i do feel that if robbie keane and mcgeady play well the irish win next month. if not im sure we can nick it, their last minute goals wont last.

Depends how Ireland setup if we continue to deploy a 4-5-1 inviting teams on we are handing the onus to you lot.

MON has a decision to make Whelan and Quinn in midfield two very limited midfielders who have poor distribution skills.

Also played McGeady in a free role with Walters on the right which didn't work in Germany.

Coleman and McCarthy will return hoping Hendrick,Gibson(hopefully he starts getting gametime @ Everton) and Wes H. have done enough in the last 20 mins in G'kirchen to start @ Celtic Park.

The one person I fear is this lad Anya should be some battle between him and Coleman.

re bale i dont think he had much to do with the hampden defeat. more snoddy hitting the post then getting a red card. i do feel that if robbie keane and mcgeady play well the irish win next month. if not im sure we can nick it, their last minute goals wont last.

Only saw brief highlights of yere games against the welsh mate

Not gonna make a prediction on either of the ireland/scotland games - just know that these will be fiercely contested tight games by 2 good teams and 2 sets of fans who want it passionately

Just on this "Irelands last minute goals" thing.......off the top of my head Ireland have only scored last minute goals just 3 times in the last 7 or 8 years .....albeit 2 of those times have been in difficult away fixtures in this group.

Think our "last minute goals thing" might be slightly blown out of proportion tbh Jeck mate

Only saw brief highlights of yere games against the welsh mate

Not gonna make a prediction on either of the ireland/scotland games - just know that these will be fiercely contested tight games by 2 good teams and 2 sets of fans who want it passionately

Just on this "Irelands last minute goals" thing.......off the top of my head Ireland have only scored last minute goals just 3 times in the last 7 or 8 years .....albeit 2 of those times have been in difficult away fixtures in this group.

Think our "last minute goals thing" might be slightly blown out of proportion tbh Jeck mate

Hi Green Tide Rising - any chance you could get rid of attaching 'the greatest commercial ever' to all of your posts?

The first one was fine and acceptable..........................