Iceland - Netherlands - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Iceland - Netherlands

Their turn in form definitely coincides with Lars Lagerback taking over as manager. He seems to know his stuff when it comes to blending together a group of unfancied players.

Lagerback was linked with Scotland at one point. Instead the SFA gave the job to:

9990313.jpg

Looks like Iceland are going to hang on. Can't help but smile at the thought of the arrogant Oranje being taken down a peg or two. :)

Edited by scotlad

Lagerback was linked with Scotland at one point. Instead the SFA gave the job to:

9990313.jpghttp://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1315539.ece/alternates/s615/9990313.jpg]

Looks like Iceland are going to hang on. Can't help but smile at the thought of the arrogant Oranje being taken down a peg or two. :)

I know! I remember praying that our fantastic forward thinking governing body were going to grasp the opportunity being handed to them on a plate and offer Lagerback the job. But, errrmmmm..................no! Didn't even interview the guy. :blink:

What are they doing right?

It's a good question and I'm not going to claim to know the exact answer to that.

However, from what I have read, the foundation seems to have been built on Iceland building a large number of indoor pitches so that players can train all-year round in good conditions. As a result, they are producing more and more technically gifted players.

Iceland reached the play-offs last time after being a bottom seed. Okay, they had a kind group but it's a very impressive achievement. They are only a pot 5 team this time but they were certainly THE team that I wanted to avoid from all the groups because they were by far the strongest from their pot and I've put them closer to the pot 2 teams at the moment.

9990313.jpg

You should get at least a 3 day suspension for posting that FFS

I know! I remember praying that our fantastic forward thinking governing body were going to grasp the opportunity being handed to them on a plate and offer Lagerback the job. But, errrmmmm..................no! Didn't even interview the guy. :blink:

He wasn't interviewed because after Berti Vogts no foreigner is ever going to be good enough to manage Scotland, which is a lot of crap. Glad we've got Strachan now but was annoyed Lagerback was ignored at the time and Levein got the job.

• 10 months later...

This is the golden generation, been planning it for years. Might be most of the same team that beat our under -21s? to qualify for the finals a few years back.

Griffiths is the only player in our current squad that featured in those play-offs. Bannan and Wilson have been involved in the past but it's a really poor return rate of players making the step up.

The fact that Latvia equalised late away to Turkey still gives the Dutch a foot in the play-off door.

Turkey v Holland on Sunday.....a defeat for the Dutch will put them out completely, but don't be surprised to see them sneak a win and get a play-off place eventually.