Serbia Next - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia Next

Caledonian Craig

16 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Listening to Sportsound there, the concern is that clubs might withhold players from travelling which apparently FIFA are saying is within their right to do.

Might be something to watch for closer to the time, I'd be surprised if we haven't got players because the clubs aren't releasing them for 'Covid risk' though.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Listening to Sportsound there, the concern is that clubs might withhold players from travelling which apparently FIFA are saying is within their right to do.

I could see this happening if it was a friendly or a meaningless Nations League game or qualifier  (if the standings are already decided) but surely no clubs will withhold their players for a playoff? Will be a disgrace if they do. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I could see this happening if it was a friendly or a meaningless Nations League game or qualifier  (if the standings are already decided) but surely no clubs will withhold their players for a playoff? Will be a disgrace if they do. 

If FIFA allow teams to withhold players now, the clubs wont stop doing it after/if covid restrictions end.

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Team for serbia

Marshall

Gallagher.  Cooper.     Tierney

Fraser.    Mctominay.  Mcginn.    Robertson

Christie.             Armstrong

Dykes

One of mcgregor and Jack will start and you know it. 

5 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Team for serbia

Marshall

Dykes

Possible.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

10 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Team for serbia

Marshall

Dykes

I doubt Clarke will start McTominay in midfield any time soon unless we have an injury/COVID crisis in that area. 

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Out of curiosity what is our record as underdogs like these days?

It’s pretty terrible we always say we do better as underdogs but we are going back to the France period . 
The home draw with England probably only good result in recent years against someone way better.

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

It’s pretty terrible we always say we do better as underdogs but we are going back to the France period . 
The home draw with England probably only good result in recent years against someone way better.

I certainly would not put Serbia in the class of England or France though. Not even in the class of Russia or Belgium (the last two big teams we played).

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hate to be the bringer of doom but Serbia did reach the world cup finals and performed ok.

Looking at some of their players they have been massively underperforming since then.

Still just a game of football and any thing can happen in 90 minutes (or a 120) but I would bite your hand of for a penalty shoot out.

That was over two years ago now and irrelevant. I got picked up on using past Scotland results pre-dating Clarke's reign so same applied with Serbia's past games.

Sure they will be favourites but I refuse to right off our chances against a team who, just like us did not qualify through the group stages.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That was over two years ago now and irrelevant. I got picked up on using past Scotland results pre-dating Clarke's reign so same applied with Serbia's past games.

Sure they will be favourites but I refuse to right off our chances against a team who, just like us did not qualify through the group stages.

Tell that to the players that faced Brazil two years ago.

Of course we have a chance if they perform as badly as they have done in some recent games. If they play like thy did in Norway and we play like we have in the last three games we have next to no chance of winning.

I never say that a  group of professional footballers can't beat another but things have to go right and at the moment that would mean them underperforming.

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tell that to the players that faced Brazil two years ago.

Of course we have a chance if they perform as badly as they have done in some recent games. If they play like thy did in Norway and we play like we have in the last three games we have next to no chance of winning.

I never say that a  group of professional footballers can't beat another but things have to go right and at the moment that would mean them underperforming.

Well we can safely say then that Wales are better than us as Wales drew with them twice in that World Cup qualifying campaign.

Also it is weird. Recently we scrambled to a win over minnows and our fans go apopleptic but Serbia have done the same in that time but its overlooked.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well we can safely say then that Wales are better than us as Wales drew with them twice in that World Cup qualifying campaign.

Also it is weird. Recently we scrambled to a win over minnows and our fans go apopleptic but Serbia have done the same in that time but its overlooked.

We don't know anything about their performances in those on paper poor results. We do know how we have performed in our on paper scrambled wins over minnows.

Serbia had 18 shots at goal with 9 on target against a Norway team that we were worried about. They nullified the mighty Haaland.

Of course we have a chance but it will take odds of about 5-1 for us to qualify for me to even think about having a bet. Can't see any odds on that yet but we are 750-1 to win the Euro's, now that's tempting.

Who's the optimist now🤞

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We don't know anything about their performances in those on paper poor results. We do know how we have performed in our on paper scrambled wins over minnows.

Serbia had 18 shots at goal with 9 on target against a Norway team that we were worried about. They nullified the mighty Haaland.

Of course we have a chance but it will take odds of about 5-1 for us to qualify for me to even think about having a bet. Can't see any odds on that yet but we are 750-1 to win the Euro's, now that's tempting.

Who's the optimist now🤞

The games against Wales they equalised in the 85th minute in Cardiff and 76th minute in Belgrade. 

Football is a results game. Going on that formula they, just like us, failed to qualify through the group stages. In the current Nations League we top our group and they are bottom. Their coach was being asked if he would resign if they did not beat Norway so that says things have not been so rosy for them of late.