Black Lives Matter... in Scotland - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Black Lives Matter... in Scotland

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Thought bastard was more of an insult you’d hear for a guy and cow / bitch for a women. 

It's not a gendered term and that's the important point.

I'm not certain that in a political context insulting anyone actually achieves anything, in fact it's more likely to be counter-productive.

if you don't like AOC or her views then attack those views, it's not difficult. 

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's not a gendered term and that's the important point.

I'm not certain that in a political context insulting anyone actually achieves anything, in fact it's more likely to be counter-productive.

if you don't like AOC or her views then attack those views, it's not difficult. 

Definitely. 

13 hours ago, kumnio said:

Yes, maybe & no.

It would be quite wrong of me to criticise it, Ive certainly called Maggie Thatcher, Ruth Davidson & Jo Swinson far worse on here. That was because I think they are utter cunts, their sex has nothing to do with it. Ive also called Alex Neil, Willie Rennie and Nicol Stephen insulting names and derogatory terms, again, its because they are cunts and nothing to with their sex.

What we have is a football crowd mentality, but in normal public life. People throwing insults and shouting abuse, but if someone speaks back, the arms go up in indignation and people act as poor little victims.

Is calling a woman a bitch insulting, of course it is, thats the point. If youre offended by it, but happy to call men bastards, or laugh any other insulting language, then you need to wise up. This isnt aimed at anyone, just a general opinion. Its like going to see Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr and laughing at 99 insulting comments, then getting upset because one of them is too close to home.

Your general point is correct but AOC wasn't throwing abuse she linked poverty to violence(a mainstream social sciences interpatation of data) and a colleague came up and called her crazy and a fucking bitch for doing it next time he saw her outside of work. Now your analogy comes in for when the "fans" heard about it.

It's context, is it OK to do this to work colleagues or not, comedy shows isn't a correct analogy, it's also not that big of a deal any competent HR department could sort it in an afternoon.

I notice no one commentating on the Federal snatch squads during the protests , unmarked vehicles , unmarked officers, threatening to shoot anyone that follow them just snatching people up. Lets you know who is a partisan as they're snatching up their political enemies so no problem...

Edited by phart

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’d like McKenna to respond to the black Americans who don’t support black lives matter. 

Name one black American who thinks black lives don't matter? Or are you meaning they don't agree with how they're going about things.

That's the problem with generalisation it is meaningless at anything but base level.

1 minute ago, phart said:

Name one black American who thinks black lives don't matter? Or are you meaning they don't agree with how they're going about things.

That's the problem with generalisation it is meaningless at anything but base level.

The movement / organisation. Sorry I thought that was clear because the idea black lives don’t matter is ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The movement / organisation. Sorry I thought that was clear because the idea black lives don’t matter is ridiculous. 

So is wanting Kevin Mckennas opinion on anything ;)

39 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

That is a very poor piece of journalism.

It's an opinion piece. Is it just the journalism that you don't rate or are there particular arguments/opinions you don't like?

12 minutes ago, phart said:

Also how are you reading the article it's saying? I need a subscription all of yous got Herald subscriptions?

It just came up. I thought people can see a certain number of free articles in a month or something.

3 minutes ago, exile said:

It just came up. I thought people can see a certain number of free articles in a month or something.

Great! that means i've read more herald articles than the folk i thought i was slagging for having subscriptions. oops!

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Calling a woman a bitch or a cow isn't comparable in the slightest to calling a man - or a woman - a bastard as that's a generic insult that can be applied across all genders, races, creeds or colours.  In Scotland, cunt probably falls into the same category although we're probably unique in that respect.

iIf you want a more accurate comparison, then it would be the N or P words, or any form of homophobic insult.

You think nigger and bitch are comparable?

Thats absolutely fucking insane, thats fucking mental.

5 hours ago, phart said:

Your general point is correct but AOC wasn't throwing abuse she linked poverty to violence(a mainstream social sciences interpatation of data) and a colleague came up and called her crazy and a fucking bitch for doing it next time he saw her outside of work. Now your analogy comes in for when the "fans" heard about it.

It's context, is it OK to do this to work colleagues or not, comedy shows isn't a correct analogy, it's also not that big of a deal any competent HR department could sort it in an afternoon.

I notice no one commentating on the Federal snatch squads during the protests , unmarked vehicles , unmarked officers, threatening to shoot anyone that follow them just snatching people up. Lets you know who is a partisan as they're snatching up their political enemies so no problem...

I didnt say AOC was throwing abuse, what she was saying is almost irrelevant anyway, Republicans hate her, she could cure cancer and still be abused. The apology of fitba is that theres sides flinging abuse, one way is fine, but as soon as it comes back its a pathetic reaction as usual.

I ike AOC, a lot actually, and have defended her on here, but she will never get anywhere significant because of what she says and believes in.

The last paragraph is an old internet favourite though. Someone waiting to see if something is brought up, then deriding that it wasn't as it proves a point. Theres probably less than 10 people on here who would have been paying attention, let alone care. The USA is beyond the point of WTF now, its a tinpot republic where nothing is a surprise. If this was Haiti, Venezuela or Zimbabwe, it would be a two minute news item, and everyone would think what a ridiculous country, but because its our best buddies, its kinda ignored.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Great! that means i've read more herald articles than the folk i thought i was slagging for having subscriptions. oops!

Use this site to get round paywalls. It also removes all the unnecessary shite.

www.outline.com

Edited by Dave78

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

I didnt say AOC was throwing abuse, what she was saying is almost irrelevant anyway, Republicans hate her, she could cure cancer and still be abused. The apology of fitba is that theres sides flinging abuse, one way is fine, but as soon as it comes back its a pathetic reaction as usual.

I ike AOC, a lot actually, and have defended her on here, but she will never get anywhere significant because of what she says and believes in.

The last paragraph is an old internet favourite though. Someone waiting to see if something is brought up, then deriding that it wasn't as it proves a point. Theres probably less than 10 people on here who would have been paying attention, let alone care. The USA is beyond the point of WTF now, its a tinpot republic where nothing is a surprise. If this was Haiti, Venezuela or Zimbabwe, it would be a two minute news item, and everyone would think what a ridiculous country, but because its our best buddies, its kinda ignored.

"People throwing insults and shouting abuse, but if someone speaks back, the arms go up in indignation and people act as poor little victims. "

Was where I got the throwing abuse/insults from, I just assumed you were speaking about AOC since that was the subject of the conversation. If you were making a more general point then I agree as I said in the post "Your general point is correct"

The last paragraph was in response to the people who do pay loads of attention to US politics specifically freedoms etc it wasn't directed at you just a wee rumination i had while writing the reply. Thinking about all the reasoning for having guns etc, how the NWO is going to supress freedom etc, then sayig nothing while the government introduces snatch squads.

Edited by phart