Rubbish childhood toys - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rubbish childhood toys

I am pretty sure there has already been a thread about toys you loved as a child, but what about toys that were totally pish. 

There were probably loads , especially in the 60’s and 70’s, but the 2 things I remember are Spirograph and Painting by Numbers. 

Who on earth found spirograph entertaining? Infact dont tell me, it will only change opinion of you and not in a good way. Simply drawing hundreds and hundreds of circles with cheap wee pens that ran out so quickly you ended up frustrated and ripping the paper trying to get some colour out of them.

In fairness painting by numbers was probably  an interesting concept for children who were patient and artistic. I was not that child. Trying to keep within the lines and then having to wait for the colour to dry before starting a new number. No chance. All my colours just ran into one . I remember painting a picture of a horse which absolutely nobody could identify as a horse, even when there was a picture of a horse on the lid of the box sitting right next to the painting. 
What a waste of time. 

So what toy/game/artistic concept did you dislike ? 

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am pretty sure there has already been a thread about toys you loved as a child, but what about toys that were totally pish. 

There were probably loads , especially in the 60’s and 70’s, but the 2 things I remember are Spirograph and Painting by Numbers. 

Who on earth found spirograph entertaining? Infact dont tell me, it will only change opinion of you and not in a good way. Simply drawing hundreds and hundreds of circles with cheap wee pens that ran out so quickly you ended up frustrated and ripping the paper trying to get some colour out of them.

In fairness painting by numbers was probably  an interesting concept for children who were patient and artistic. I was not that child. Trying to keep within the lines and then having to wait for the colour to dry before starting a new number. No chance. All my colours just ran into one . I remember painting a picture of a horse which absolutely nobody could identify as a horse, even when there was a picture of a horse on the lid of the box sitting right next to the painting. 
What a waste of time. 

So what toy/game/artistic concept did you dislike ? 

Was this your really good effort ?

Image result for really poor drawing of a horse

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

My sisters barbie dolls, so much dislike for them that my Thundercats would regularly rip them to shreds and hold them captive, only to be released when the WWF figures wanted to slam them around the ring (no innuendo intended). 

I feel I may unleashed some pent up childhood trauma, would you like to talk about it ? 😁

My poor dolls took a battering as well. They were my ‘pupils’ at school. I would sit them on my bed  and sometimes  if they couldnt answer a question i would throw them against the wall.  

11 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

Me 😀

Spirograph was the forerunner to computers, Photoshop and things like Snapchat. Helped teach you patience and the basic skills needed to create pictures. 

No you again  !! You have been sent on here to hound me off havent you ? That bloody Flure has sent you. 

45 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I feel I may unleashed some pent up childhood trauma, would you like to talk about it ? 😁

My poor dolls took a battering as well. They were my ‘pupils’ at school. I would sit them on my bed  and sometimes  if they couldnt answer a question i would throw them against the wall.  

Probably is. 

A couple of things come to mind. 

I got a Lego set when I was about 8 for being brave at the dentist, by the time I had recovered from this horrific ordeal, my older brother had already built it. 

He was also the one that asked if my transformer that went from a Decepticon to a plane could fly, so I threw it down the stairs, it couldn’t. 

Now we’re on it, there was another time that I couldn’t get a sticker in properly to my beano sticker book, my older brother and sister were laughing at me, so I launched the whole thing into the coal fire, which in turn, broke me. The joke was on them though as my auntie & uncle could see how upset I was when I told them about it, so they brought me a new album and entire box of stickers to start again, I finished my book before any of them after that 😆

The same auntie & uncle also brought me to Index (remember that shop) when I was missing my mum & dad as they had buggered off to Florida on a holiday that my dad has won through his work and bought me Kit, Kat and Snarf model toys, I didn’t miss them much after that. 

I wish they were still together, they always spoilt me and I could do with a new set of golf clubs this year  

44A89E16-569E-4247-AE3B-EDC306EEE739.jpeg

One Christmas when I was about 9 or 10 I craicked for a 6 million dollar man action man. Opened my presents from my maw and faither never got one, gutted. Then going through presents from aunties and uncles I opened this parcel and there it was a 6 million dollar action man.......How gutted was I when I opened the  box  and it was a bottle of bubble bath 😥

3 hours ago, bonzo said:

One Christmas when I was about 9 or 10 I craicked for a 6 million dollar man action man. Opened my presents from my maw and faither never got one, gutted. Then going through presents from aunties and uncles I opened this parcel and there it was a 6 million dollar action man.......How gutted was I when I opened the  box  and it was a bottle of bubble bath 😥

Mate of mine had a six mllion dollar man, it was shite, you were probably better with the bubble bath.

He also had an Evel Knievel which was great though. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Mate of mine had a six mllion dollar man, it was shite, you were probably better with the bubble bath.

He also had an Evel Knievel which was great though. 

You're no helping me 😆. I did have Evel knievel it annoyed the pish oot of me because I couldn't make it do the tricks you seen in the adverts.

18 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Probably is. 

A couple of things come to mind. 

I got a Lego set when I was about 8 for being brave at the dentist, by the time I had recovered from this horrific ordeal, my older brother had already built it. 

He was also the one that asked if my transformer that went from a Decepticon to a plane could fly, so I threw it down the stairs, it couldn’t. 

Now we’re on it, there was another time that I couldn’t get a sticker in properly to my beano sticker book, my older brother and sister were laughing at me, so I launched the whole thing into the coal fire, which in turn, broke me. The joke was on them though as my auntie & uncle could see how upset I was when I told them about it, so they brought me a new album and entire box of stickers to start again, I finished my book before any of them after that 😆

The same auntie & uncle also brought me to Index (remember that shop) when I was missing my mum & dad as they had buggered off to Florida on a holiday that my dad has won through his work and bought me Kit, Kat and Snarf model toys, I didn’t miss them much after that. 

I wish they were still together, they always spoilt me and I could do with a new set of golf clubs this year  

44A89E16-569E-4247-AE3B-EDC306EEE739.jpeg

😂😂

I think it may all stem from ‘mum and dad ‘ going on holiday to Florida and leaving the wean behind .
They sound a great auntie and uncle.  Infact, are you sure auntie and uncle are really your auntie and uncle ? 🤔😬

6 hours ago, bonzo said:

You're no helping me 😆. I did have Evel knievel it annoyed the pish oot of me because I couldn't make it do the tricks you seen in the adverts.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Not my toys as a bairn but my bairns toys. Hot Wheels. Absolute fucking SHIT. Did absolute fucking nothing like the advert on the telly did. Will say it again, utter, overpriced SHIT.

My big let down was Mousetrap. It looked brilliant on the TV, the wee marble battering through all the obstacles to the end of the trap when the children would all shout MOUSE TRAP !!!! 
In reality the marble would miss the see saw near the start of the trap and and heehaw would happen. A total anticlimax . 

Edited by TDYER63