Favorite Scottish meal, and other meal.. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favorite Scottish meal, and other meal..

On 2/15/2020 at 2:18 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

🤣. You really are a pain in the fu kin arse, but I like you. Aye, there was sugar. How aboot "tablet" ma maw used tae make it. 🥺🥺🥺

Salt and water, fuck all else should be anywhere near it. Fuck sake. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Simple

Favorite Scottish meal is Mince and tatties, doughballs. Every Wednasday with ma mum. 

Other? Chinese food. Love it. Dont mind a curry, but Chinese food any day of the week..

Could you be a bit more specific? Just curious 😉

There's not much better than a good freshly cooked haddock supper, with salt n sauce (more distinctively Scottish) or vinegar (any other country). With a side of haggis pakora with chilli sauce, and battered garlic mushrooms smothered in salt n sauce. 

Just now, exile said:

There's not much better than a good freshly cooked haddock supper, with salt n sauce (more distinctively Scottish) or vinegar (any other country). With a side of haggis pakora with chilli sauce, and battered garlic mushrooms smothered in salt n sauce. 

Erm, ooof. That sounds magic..🙂

Dont understand why porridge is said to fill you up, I have it for breakfast Mon -Thu as it is good for you , but I am always  starving by about 10.30 am. I have it with soya milk and raspberries, I couldn't have it with salt and water. Reminds me of being forced to eat it as a child, took 45 yrs for me to try porridge again after that. 

Haggis is great but unfortunately  it upsets my stomach. 

I like a rack of lamb. Much prefer lamb to beef, though i do enjoy a rib eye steak.  I also like spaghetti in an oil with parsley, chilli and garlic, prawns and scallops. 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont understand why porridge is said to fill you up, I have it for breakfast Mon -Thu as it is good for you , but I am always  starving by about 10.30 am. I have it with soya milk and raspberries, I couldn't have it with salt and water. Reminds me of being forced to eat it as a child, took 45 yrs for me to try porridge again after that. 

Haggis is great but unfortunately  it upsets my stomach. 

I like a rack of lamb. Much prefer lamb to beef, though i do enjoy a rib eye steak.  I also like spaghetti in an oil with parsley, chilli and garlic, prawns and scallops. 

Have you tried veggie haggis?

18 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

" I also like spaghetti in an oil with parsley, chilli and garlic, prawns and scallops" A classy female from Renfrewshire......shock.😄 

Yes. My chef prepares it for me whilst my chauffeur buffs up my night driving glasses and  adjusts the knob on my rear view mirror 😁

15 minutes ago, exile said:

Have you tried veggie haggis?

No, I tried a veggie burger once and that put me off any ‘pretendy ‘ meat. Is it good ?

59 minutes ago, exile said:

Yum. I love haddock in good beer batter , the haggis would be too rich though. Never used to be a problem either 😕

Haggis, neeps and tatties once in a while, and can get it down south from a good few places now. Stovies is also a good one.

Always get good fish and chips at the seaside towns. A curry always goes down well when out with the other half, although getting to like Mexican restaurants lately.

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

No, I tried a veggie burger once and that put me off any ‘pretendy ‘ meat. Is it good ?

Yum. I love haddock in good beer batter , the haggis would be too rich though. Never used to be a problem either 😕

Veggie burgers, and veggie haggises, are variable quality, and different tastes and textures, just are any of the pudding race.

A good veggie burger or veggie haggis can be enjoyed of themselves, they don't need to be pretending to be meat. 

Prawn scallop chilli garlic spaghetti isn't a pretendy, poor relation of bolognese, eh? 😉

Edited by exile

10 minutes ago, exile said:

Veggie burgers, and veggie haggises, are variable quality, and different tastes and textures, just are any of the pudding race.

A good veggie burger or veggie haggis can be enjoyed of themselves, they don't need to be pretending to be meat. 

Prawn scallop chilli garlic spaghetti isn't a pretendy, poor relation of bolognese, eh? 😉

😂 ok , in that case I just didn't like the burger. Pretendy meat or otherwise. Can you suggest a decent veggie haggis, I am prepared to try it ?

No. No .No. Theres no way spaghetti /prawns etc in an oil is a poor relation of bolognese. I dont actually mind bolognese but the pasta is much lighter in the oil with garlic etc and I think it tastes better. Probably helps that it is lighter on my stomach right enough. Even the chilli doesnt bother me,  though if i add chilli flakes as well as fresh chilli there is sometimes a problem 😁

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 ok , in that case I just didn't like the burger. Pretendy meat or otherwise. Can you suggest a decent veggie haggis, I am prepared to try it ?

No. No .No. Theres no way spaghetti /prawns etc in an oil is a poor relation of bolognese. I dont actually mind bolognese but the pasta is much lighter in the oil with garlic etc and I think it tastes better. Probably helps that it is lighter on my stomach right enough. Even the chilli doesnt bother me,  though if i add chilli flakes as well as fresh chilli there is sometimes a problem 😁

I found a Simon Howie veggie haggis good (may have posted before) (can't remember where from, possibly Scotmid).

The internet tells me there's also a thing called a Vegetarian Haggis Wellington!

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The real food cafe in Tyndrum did a great veggie haggis. The stuff you can buy in tesco etc is good 

55 minutes ago, exile said:

I found a Simon Howie veggie haggis good (may have posted before) (can't remember where from, possibly Scotmid).

The internet tells me there's also a thing called a Vegetarian Haggis Wellington!

33 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The real food cafe in Tyndrum did a great veggie haggis. The stuff you can buy in tesco etc is good 

👍 I will give them a try. I might need to work on the Wellington right enough. 

41 minutes ago, thplinth said:

sigh...

That is bloody fantastic. Who would have thought a knob could be so interesting . 

Seriously though, what a difference it has made. It has made my drive home feel so much safer.
Well , apart from the night I nearly ran myself off the road twisting it at a corner , that was a bit of a hairy moment. Just as well us women can multi task .