Coronavirus - Page 195 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Apologies if this has already been posted. It's a long read but potentially explains why Asian countries appear to have been better at controlling COVID outbreaks than the west:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving-pandemic/616548/

Aye i posted it earlier. It's really informative though , gives great context to the situation 👍

3 hours ago, phart said:

Aye i posted it earlier. It's really informative though , gives great context to the situation 👍

Oops, sorry! It's worrying that there isn't some kind of consensus on how to handle this, surely WHO or a similar organisation should or could be collecting all data and leading discussions rather than every government going at it on their own.

3 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Oops, sorry! It's worrying that there isn't some kind of consensus on how to handle this, surely WHO or a similar organisation should or could be collecting all data and leading discussions rather than every government going at it on their own.

Nah man it was the most informative article i've read on it! So it should be highlighted again.

The consensus is there pretty much amongst scientists but governments are placing different weights on different things. For example privatising the needed test and trace system, politicising masks/social distancing etc. It's a real concern.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Circuit breaker from Friday night.

Would love to see the scientific justification for this.

Complete farce.

It wouldn't seem to back it up down south anyway as more positive tests isn't exponentially increasing hospital beds being used.  Story in the Telegraph behind a paywall too that the Tories could have enough rebels to defeat the 10pm curfew so NS might be flying solo on this one (presuming MPs get to vote on anything Covid related obviously rather than just Dom deciding):

I see the phrase "buy time" repeatedly quoted in relation to this circuit breaker stuff. If severe restrictions are re-imposed then the Scottish government sure as hell better have some highly visible and effective progress on how they plan to contain this to show at the end of it or they might as well forget any kind of public support for future measures. Otherwise this is just a panicked "fuck, we've lost control of it again and don't know what to do".

Be interesting to see what they say about schools given that plenty council areas are due to have the kids back in what would be the second week of this "lockdown" too.

That graph is a bit misleading though as in actuality the first blue bit peak should be 20 times higher.

Also as Wee-toon-red says the whole point is to "buy time" to get a proper test and trace system in place. Without that, the financial support for folk who have to isolate etc, it's just punting the can down the road again.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, exile said:

Has anything been announced?

Only the Sun claiming they have it from a source within the NHS who have all been told apparently its to be announced, so until something official is announced take it with a pinch of salt.

Sound of things hospitality sector will be advised to close for two weeks, and more emphasis on work from home where possible, but nothing really more than that (it was clear last week that had furlough been extended then we would be in lockdown now).... been talk on staying within your boundary also, but Jason Leach was saying that unless mass testing can be done right across the country, this would not be feasible. 

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Circuit breaker from Friday night.

Would love to see the scientific justification for this.

Complete farce.

I'm really struggling to get my head round this as well and would like to see the justification.

If Pubs are to shut again for two weeks, are you not potentially jeopardising jobs? Even two weeks without any income in this environment could be catastrophic for a number of boozers. What happens if after these two weeks, the number of cases hasn't reduced by a figure they deem acceptable, do they just keep places closed until they reduce to that figure?

Now this is entirely anecdotal, bit I've been in a few boozers in The Southside and in town for food and every place has been strict in terms of numbers and one way systems etc. I've not seen anything to suggest that pubs are the source of some sort of outbreak. 

Tufekci was born in Istanbul, Turkey, near Taksim Gezi Park in Istanbul's Beyoğlu district.[3]

In 1995, Tufekci received a B.A. in sociology from Istanbul University, as well as an undergraduate degree in computer programming from Bosphorus University. In 1999, Tufekci received an M.A. from the Radio-Television-Film Department at the University of Texas at Austin. Her thesis was called "Mental Deskilling in the Age of the Smart Machine". In 2004, Tufekci earned a Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. Her thesis was titled "In Search of Lost Jobs: The Rhetoric and Practice of Computer Skills Training”.

😆

39 minutes ago, Mox said:

I'm really struggling to get my head round this as well and would like to see the justification.

If Pubs are to shut again for two weeks, are you not potentially jeopardising jobs? Even two weeks without any income in this environment could be catastrophic for a number of boozers. What happens if after these two weeks, the number of cases hasn't reduced by a figure they deem acceptable, do they just keep places closed until they reduce to that figure?

Now this is entirely anecdotal, bit I've been in a few boozers in The Southside and in town for food and every place has been strict in terms of numbers and one way systems etc. I've not seen anything to suggest that pubs are the source of some sort of outbreak. 

My wife works in a hotel and she's lucky as it gets tourists with the gowf so she's had pretty much full hours since going back.  October is booked solid but November, December is dead so taking away the last two weeks of the year it could be busy, and potentially having four months where its on its arse, isn't going to be great for a lot of the staff there.

Personally I reckon they'll go in to lockdown every school holiday from here until Easter.  

Lockdowns are a firebreak which is then meant to be used to set up effective test and trace(local targetting, quick turnaround of tests), give time to set up universal virus control (out door dining, create bubbles, work from home programmes etc) and set up policies for isolation (Economic help for self isolation, use of hotels for quarantines)

Almost none of which we've been able to do despite having 8 months now. Instead they've privatised testing, subsidised high risk activities (help out eat out) given the worst isolation packages for the shortest amount of time. Had huge mixed messaging and treated a huge public health crisis like an economic crisis, as opposed to realising treating the public health side also treats the economic side.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

Lockdowns are a firebreak which is then meant to be used to set up effective test and trace(local targetting, quick turnaround of tests), give time to set up universal virus control (out door dining, create bubbles, work from home programmes etc) and set up policies for isolation (Economic help for self isolation, use of hotels for quarantines)

Almost none of which we've been able to do despite having 8 months now. Instead they've privatised testing, subsidised high risk activities (help out eat out) given the worst isolation packages for the shortest amount of time. Had huge mixed messaging and treated a huge public health crisis like an economic crisis, as opposed to realising treating the public health side also treats the economic side.

Can't see any of that changing in this one either so will just be an attempt to push it down enough to get them to the Christmas holidays where rinse/repeat.    

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Can't see any of that changing in this one either so will just be an attempt to push it down enough to get them to the Christmas holidays where rinse/repeat.    

It's a total shambles. The ineptness is crazy.

All the scientists i've been following don't even want a lockdown they want to follow the examples by all the succesful countries in East Asia and NZ etc. Fuck NZ had full stadiums at games months ago. The Scandanavian (Sweden outwith) has really stood up well to the pressures of this virus as well. Our society has been put into a hole and is fumbling months into this.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Only the Sun claiming they have it from a source within the NHS who have all been told apparently its to be announced, so until something official is announced take it with a pinch of salt.

Sound of things hospitality sector will be advised to close for two weeks, and more emphasis on work from home where possible, but nothing really more than that (it was clear last week that had furlough been extended then we would be in lockdown now).... been talk on staying within your boundary also, but Jason Leach was saying that unless mass testing can be done right across the country, this would not be feasible. 

There will be no advised about. Hospitality being closed for minimum of two weeks. 

Also travel ban again.

SG bern drop feeding media past few days.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Spot on.

They'll just blame job losses on Westminster even though itll be a SG decision. 

I've had exactly same experience as you with pubs. I was out for dinner with my sister on Saturday and she said pubs felt a million times safer than the conditions they are teaching in.

If the SG are intent on keeping schools open then at least clean the bloody places. 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

My wife works in a hotel and she's lucky as it gets tourists with the gowf so she's had pretty much full hours since going back.  October is booked solid but November, December is dead so taking away the last two weeks of the year it could be busy, and potentially having four months where its on its arse, isn't going to be great for a lot of the staff there.

Personally I reckon they'll go in to lockdown every school holiday from here until Easter.  

Would love to see them trying it at Christmas. 

Think folk are starting to get fed up with Sturgeons high and mighty act whilst she and has husband are on guts of 200k a year, whilst shes talking measures that will kill many businesses over next two weeks with no plan how to support them.

I vote SNP out of necessity for indyref2 but their handling of this is almost on a par with boris. Both in excess deaths and calamity.