Coronavirus - Page 255 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

The only reference point I have is my mum (turns 72 on Saturday) who lives in Paisley. 

Her experience is exactly as the ScotGov said it should be.

2 weeks ago they said that letters would be coming out in a to her age group before the end of the month. Last Monday she got her letter.

Her appointment is for this Friday @ the Lagoon leisure centre (mass vaccination centre) in Paisley. This is well in line with target to do her age group by mid-Feb. 

I appreciate people and health boards wi have different experiences but I’d hope what I’ve seen provides some level of reassurance. 

Cheers , that is good to know 👍 Coincidentally i was talking about Johnstone which is where my doctors surgery and vaccination centre is. 

I should just clarify I get these texts as i am on the general mailing list and not because I am over 75 ....

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Cheers , that is good to know 👍 Coincidentally i was talking about Johnstone which is where my doctors surgery and vaccination centre is. 

I should just clarify I get these texts as i am on the general mailing list and not because I am over 75 ....

:lol:

Aye, right.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I didn't realise you were that old?

We are talking about the flu vaccine here, not the COVID one. 

You can get them at a lot of pharmacies. As long as they have a qualified vaccinator. It's about £9. It's not something I would do, but some folk do, just for the convenience.

You can't buy the COVID vaccine. Not legally anyway. ;)

😂 sorry, never realised the conversation had changed, its no like me is it.  

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I didn't realise you were that old?

We are talking about the flu vaccine here, not the COVID one. 

You can get them at a lot of pharmacies. As long as they have a qualified vaccinator. It's about £9. It's not something I would do, but some folk do, just for the convenience.

You can't buy the COVID vaccine. Not legally anyway. ;)

I wasn't asking for me. I was asking because this was promised and hasn't been delivered and not a cheep has been said about it. I imagine it got overtaken by events with the Covid rollout but it would be nice if politicians would acknowledge these things.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Setting of these targets is just sheer stupidity, IMO. It doesn't matter whether it's England, Scotland or any where else. It doesn't do any good. All it does, is put extra pressure on the health professionals whose job it is to organise and administer the vaccinations. These people are already under more pressure than they should be, and putting them under even more pressure by setting unrealistic targets isn't going to help anyone. It's time for these politicians to but out, and let the health care staff get on with their jobs.

I disagree. Most people have targets to work for and the NHS is used to this. I think it is important. Of course if targets are missed for very good reasons people should accept that. Sadly people don't which really is the issue disagree.. Of course if they are missed and there is no good reason criticism should be accepted and attempts made to resolve the issues

Edited by Lamia

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Don't know how it's working in North Ayrshire but my mate who is 65 has been given an appointment to get his first jag on Thursday. Some of his friends (same age) are going this week as well. 

My auntie and uncle in Killie are getting theirs this week, both are still in their 60s.

16 hours ago, Lamia said:

I wasn't asking for me. I was asking because this was promised and hasn't been delivered and not a cheep has been said about it. I imagine it got overtaken by events with the Covid rollout but it would be nice if politicians would acknowledge these things.

Bizarrely I got it in December as a 40 year old bloke and nobody I asked knew why apart from possibly because I had asthma until my teens. 

32 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Bizarrely I got it in December as a 40 year old bloke and nobody I asked knew why apart from possibly because I had asthma until my teens. 

This is the first year that the flu vaccination program was extended to cover a lot more folk. Up until this year it was available on the NHS to over 65s and other categories under 65, like diabetes etc. This year the plan was to offer it to all over 55s and if there was any left over from that extend it down to over 50s. That plan seems to have gone better in some areas of the country than others. Up Lamia's way they seem to have stopped. I know Tayside and Fife were still vaccinating folk right up until xmas, but I haven't spoken to many folk since we went into lockdown again. Not sure why they have stopped. Could be a number of reasons. Maybe asthma was included as an extra category this year as well? Don't know about that bit. Or, maybe your GP just realised that you should have been getting it previously and had somehow been missed?

Either way a lot more folk have had the flu vaccine this year than any other year in history. We won't know the numbers until they are published later on in the year. They usually come out around August/September time. They ordered enough vaccine to do 2.4 million doses. If they managed to use all of those, they have done pretty well, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This is the first year that the flu vaccination program was extended to cover a lot more folk. Up until this year it was available on the NHS to over 65s and other categories under 65, like diabetes etc. This year the plan was to offer it to all over 55s and if there was any left over from that extend it down to over 50s. That plan seems to have gone better in some areas of the country than others. Up Lamia's way they seem to have stopped. I know Tayside and Fife were still vaccinating folk right up until xmas, but I haven't spoken to many folk since we went into lockdown again. Not sure why they have stopped. Could be a number of reasons. Maybe asthma was included as an extra category this year as well? Don't know about that bit. Or, maybe your GP just realised that you should have been getting it previously and had somehow been missed?

Either way a lot more folk have had the flu vaccine this year than any other year in history. We won't know the numbers until they are published later on in the year. They usually come out around August/September time. They ordered enough vaccine to do 2.4 million doses. If they managed to use all of those, they have done pretty well, IMO.

It ran like clockwork where I am in fairness  - queue system every two metres and 6 folk in different rooms getting it at a time so fired through them.  

Hope it was asthma or there's something on my record they're nae telling me :)

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It ran like clockwork where I am in fairness  - queue system every two metres and 6 folk in different rooms getting it at a time so fired through them.  

Hope it was asthma or there's something on my record they're nae telling me :)

Maybe you are pregnant and they just assumed that you knew?

From the bbc today.

"The UK's government's Scottish secretary, Alister Jack, said on Monday that about a million doses of the vaccine had been allocated to Scotland, but almost half remained in freezer facilities or a warehouse."

Why is he allowed to spout out these numbers, but if Jeane Freeman mentions them, she is threatened with prosecution under the official secrets act? Is it OK for him to do it because the security services know that terrorists and the Ruskies never believe a word that Tory politicians say?

He says they have been "allocated", that doesn't mean they are "in" Scotland. Where are they? We are not allowed to speak about that. 

Let's assume for once that he isn't lying and that his statement is correct. That would meant that there are only about 400,000 doses ("allocated" to Scotland) in the supply pipeline between the distribution centers in England and in the hands of the vaccinators in Scotland. IMO that isn't nearly enough of a buffer supply in the system to allow a mass vaccination program to run out smoothly. If it was up to me, I would want to see between 1 and 2 million doses in the supply chain before really ramping up the rollout. If they start to ramp up too quickly without enough buffer in the system it is going to be very difficult to ensure enough vaccine is in the right places at the right time. Vaccination centers will be continually running out which wastes the time of the vaccinators and means 1000s of appointments having to be rescheduled. The latter problem is a bigger issue when they are still doing the older age groups. 

They will also be starting to make appointments for second doses soon. This will require more buffer stock in the system to ensure that runs smoothly as well.

The sooner we are allowed to talk about how many doses we have and where they are, the better.

When they were talking about 98% of care home residents getting their first dose, I assumed they meant they had done 98% of the people who wanted it. I didn't realise it was 98% of all the residents. That is a phenomenal level of uptake for any vaccine, if that is correct. I'm still a bit dubious about that figure. They must be sneaking up behind the auld buggers and jabbing them while they are sleeping. :lol: By comparison the uptake of last seasons flu jab was about 75% of those eligible, and that was considered to be a very good uptake.

If the uptake in the rest of the population is anything like that, it will be really good news.

2 hours ago, phart said:

I would have been significantly concerned it we hadn't seen an impact. Interesting to see Nicola Sturgeon changing tack and now admitting they concentrated on Care Homes completely and then moved on to over 80s and only now have started to multitask. This makes complete sense and I can maybe see her point. Looking on from the outside I would have thought you could have been working on more than one group at a time given different staff dealt with different cohorts. I am clearly not in the know so might be wrong but it looks like all the other nations managed it.

Hopefully now we will see a sustained increase. I am concerned about the second dose though. Looks like England did significantly more of these than us in December before the change. Given the paper suggesting there is reduced effectiveness in older groups if the second dose is delayed Northern Ireland again looks like they have done the right thing for Care Home residents at least.

Edited by Lamia