The Centre Backs... Solution? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Centre Backs... Solution?

GaryWood34

Continual problem for us the centre backs since Weir gave it up.

Mulgrew and Cooper try as they might are not good enough and are not good centre backs.

Hearts 3 centre backs are not the best either, they’re barely passable as good at the moment but the 3 of them see each other regularly and know each other’s game better than Mulgrew and Cooper do (through no fault of their own).

Do you simply call up Souttar, Berra (I know I know) and Halkett? Play 2 of them or indeed a back 3. 

Full disclosure I’m a Hearts fan however I’d say the same of any 3 who play at the same club at at a decent enough level.

2 hours ago, rOsCo2 said:

Although on the evidence of that shocking attempted header on Wednesday, maybe not Devlin

(yes, I'm a Dons fan)

How good is Devlin out of interest, I’ve not seen much of him.

Is he likely to keep his place when McKenna returns?

I think our centre backs have to be Mulgrew +1. In the absence of Souttar and McKenna at the moment I’m at a loss to who plays alongside him at the moment.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

One quote saying Barnsley fans warned them!

But we’ve got loads of Scotland fans who’ve not seen him play since he left the Jags that want our team built round him.😂

Obviously the truth will be somewhere between the two and it’s worth noting that Stoke are dung at the moment, in danger of a Sunderland type fall from the Championship.

So our centre backs...

Almost everyone agreed that Mulgrew and Cooper were weak in our last two games aren’t good enough for the level we require. 

Our other options and ‘up and coming’ CB’s;

In Scotland:

McKenna: Been injured since August, hasn’t improved since his breakthrough season. 

Devlin: Aberdeen fans will agree that he’s barely good enough for Aberdeen let alone Scotland. 

Halkett: Haven’t seen evidence of his defending being good enough and was injured today too?

Hendry: Nowhere to be seen and been very weak for Celtic. 

Porteous: Too raw for the national team as evidenced midweek?

Berra: Too old, not good enough anymore. 

In England:

Hanley: Been injured and has looked a bit all over the place when he’s played. OK if he just heads the ball all day.

Bates: Hasn’t started a league game for his club and has now got an injury.

Lindsay: See Stoke’s forum posts above.

McIntyre: Has barely played pro football, dropped to the bench today. 

McRorie: Can’t even get off the bench for a league 1 team. Isn’t a centre back, or a right back or a midfielder that will be good enough for Scotland it seems.

Are we cursed in this position?

Who else is there? Findlay at Killie, Gallagher at Well, Kerr at Saints? These guys haven’t proven themselves at a decent level. 

Somehow we’re probably going to have to continue in October with Mulgrew and Cooper unless McKenna gets fit. 

12 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

So our centre backs...

Almost everyone agreed that Mulgrew and Cooper were weak in our last two games aren’t good enough for the level we require. 

Our other options and ‘up and coming’ CB’s;

In Scotland:

McKenna: Been injured since August, hasn’t improved since his breakthrough season. 

Devlin: Aberdeen fans will agree that he’s barely good enough for Aberdeen let alone Scotland. 

Halkett: Haven’t seen evidence of his defending being good enough and was injured today too?

Hendry: Nowhere to be seen and been very weak for Celtic. 

Porteous: Too raw for the national team as evidenced midweek?

Berra: Too old, not good enough anymore. 

In England:

Hanley: Been injured and has looked a bit all over the place when he’s played. OK if he just heads the ball all day.

Bates: Hasn’t started a league game for his club and has now got an injury.

Lindsay: See Stoke’s forum posts above.

McIntyre: Has barely played pro football, dropped to the bench today. 

McRorie: Can’t even get off the bench for a league 1 team. Isn’t a centre back, or a right back or a midfielder that will be good enough for Scotland it seems.

Are we cursed in this position?

Who else is there? Findlay at Killie, Gallagher at Well, Kerr at Saints? These guys haven’t proven themselves at a decent level. 

Somehow we’re probably going to have to continue in October with Mulgrew and Cooper unless McKenna gets fit. 

That really is depressing to read. Decline has regressed a lot this season and he is made of balsa wood.

considine is a better defender.

im not advocating a call up for Considine.

Edited by vanderark14

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Looks like Craig Halkett will be out injured for quite a while.

When are John Souttar and Scott McKenna expected back ?

McKenna cant be far from coming back. Mcinnes said he would be out for 3 to 4 weeks

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Experiment with McTominay at CB...

You post all the funniest one liners on here but I think this is a serious suggestion.

If we do have all these wonderful midfielders why not drop the one who can defend back into central defence (were he has played

Of course it's not his best position and he wasn't in the EPL team of the week when he played there but if he adds more to our defence than he takes away from our midfield you could do worse.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:09 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

I definitely think Halkett deserves to be considered for the squad.

Not massive quality in that position but I'd have McKenna and Souttar together when fit. I'd be interested in seeing whether Tierney could play there or better at right back.

Tierney - Souttar - McKenna- Robertson

Happy with that.

No. Hickey, Souttar, McKenna and Robertson. Tierney is uncomfortable at right back; not normally in favour of fast tracking anyone but NI and Wales do that. Even Eng. have capped players (Hudson-Odoi) before they made a full EPL debut. Hickey has already been tested.

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No. Hickey, Souttar, McKenna and Robertson. Tierney is uncomfortable at right back; not normally in favour of fast tracking anyone but NI and Wales do that. Even Eng. have capped players (Hudson-Odoi) before they made a full EPL debut. Hickey has already been tested.

Sorry but half a dozen games in the SPL is hardly tested