Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree with this. 

Personally I'd play Forrest, mcginn, mctominey, christie and fraser. 

I'd have no problem if  snoddy came in for any of middle three

These matches will come down to whether we can defend or not. The defence will be a back four who have never played together 🙈

I don’t think many people would argue with your midfield 5 but I suspect Clarke will start with Snodgrass. 

Our defence is a worry as it has been for a few years. Who knows, maybe Cooper will come good for us?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think many people would argue with your midfield 5 but I suspect Clarke will start with Snodgrass. 

Our defence is a worry as it has been for a few years. Who knows, maybe Cooper will come good for us?

Cooper gets pelted on here regularly which doesn't mean much but I have no.idea whether hes good or not because I dont follow that much football nowadays. McKenna is off form and soutar is playing for hearts who are way off the ball right now.

A change in the back four may not be a bad thing for us.

Could be on my own but hanley should play IMO, hes not a favourite on here but hes playing in a hard league and will be confident. 

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Is it just me that's thinking our centre-backs that we've picked for this squad after injuries to our regulars are actually an improvement on the status quo? Arguably Hanley has ran his course internationally having been maligned in the past but if he's starting week in week out in the PL as Captian - in addition Cooper who'd been the Leeds Captain for a while now, makes me wonder why we were picking the likes of Devlin, McKenna, Bates, Findlay in the first place.

Midfield is cracking like we knew it would be. And as usual we look kind of light on options up top.

All that said I'm actually reasonably pleased with the squad.

I don't think they're any worse but they're really nothing to write home about.

A couple of years ago we only had about four centre halves to pick from, now we have about nine or ten of a similar standard. The trouble is, that standard is still short of that required to qualify for tournaments, IMO.

I think describing the midfield as 'cracking' is overselling it a bit too, although if our defence and our attack were as strong I'd feel a lot more optimistic about our chances.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Cooper gets pelted on here regularly which doesn't mean much but I have no.idea whether hes good or not because I dont follow that much football nowadays. McKenna is off form and soutar is playing for hearts who are way off the ball right now.

A change in the back four may not be a bad thing for us.

Could be on my own but hanley should play IMO, hes not a favourite on here but hes playing in a hard league and will be confident. 

You’re not on your own as I wouldn’t mind if Hanley started. Norwich have shipped a good few goals early season but they’ve played Chelsea and Liverpool so I wouldn’t look to much into that. Hanley isn’t exactly my dream CB but it could be worse. 

I don’t watch much of the English Championship  but Leeds have got off to a great start so surely Cooper can’t be that bad?

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

Was chatting to a mate who's a Leeds fan and he says he never used to rate Cooper until Bielsa took over and apparently he's managed to get rid of his bad decision making.

Pretty much what I read on the Leeds forum when he came to my attention and thought I'd check why  a couple on here had such a dislike of the player They really really didn't rate him. different matter now.

I'll join the Hanley/Cooper central defence supporters

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re not on your own as I wouldn’t mind if Hanley started. Norwich have shipped a good few goals early season but they’ve played Chelsea and Liverpool so I wouldn’t look to much into that. Hanley isn’t exactly my dream CB but it could be worse. 

I don’t watch much of the English Championship  but Leeds have got off to a great start so surely Cooper can’t be that 

He cant be that bad is all we have so I'll take it😂

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He cant be that bad is all we have so I'll take it😂

😂

We don’t have much of a choice to be fair. Even if Souttar and McKenna were fit I would still be worried about our central defence.

We’ve just got to hope that nobody else gets injured and Clarke goes with the right pairing from Mulgrew, Cooper and Hanley.

Mulgrew hasn’t been starting for Wigan so I reckon it might well be Hanley and Cooper. 

Another new Scotland call up - Craig MacGillivray - and still more idiots on twitter etc with the "Who's he ?", "why is Craig Gordon not called up ?", "If I've never heard of this guy then he must be shite" patter.

Are there really that many stupid cunts out there that can't be bothered to look up someone on Google or Wikipedia ? Takes all of two minutes.

MacGillivray's getting regular football (which Gordon isn't). The Portsmouth fans rate him. And going by his response on twitter MacGillivray is clearly buzzing at being called up, he wants to play for us.

1 minute ago, marinello said:

I'm surprised now he is back fit ( he is playing tonight from start ) that Paterson of Cardiff is not in squad.

Whilst not the greatest player I feel he offers variety in so far as he can play defence, midfield and attack.

There's bound to be call offs and other players brought in to cover.

Paterson might yet be involved.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Another new Scotland call up - Craig MacGillivray - and still more idiots on twitter etc with the "Who's he ?", "why is Craig Gordon not called up ?", "If I've never heard of this guy then he must be shite" patter.

Are there really that many stupid cunts out there that can't be bothered to look up someone on Google or Wikipedia ? Takes all of two minutes.

MacGillivray's getting regular football (which Gordon isn't). The Portsmouth fans rate him. And going by his response on twitter MacGillivray is clearly buzzing at being called up, he wants to play for us.

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Funny to think that Burke played a big part in the last fixtures and has since disappeared off the face of the earth.

Sad really. 

He has a lot of talent but doesn’t appear to be anywhere close to realising the potential we all thought he had. 

Theres a video doing the rounds from twitter. Some seem to think its mcburnie at his sheff united match saying be Hope's he isn't called up for scotland.

I'm firmly in the camp that has no clue what's being said.

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There appears to be a lot of people moaning because he plays for a league one side. I can understand that to an extent but let’s give the guy a chance ffs. 

He probably won’t feature in these two games unless we have injuries so people are moaning about nothing. 

He’s still young in goalkeeper terms. 26 I think I read earlier? Who knows where he could end up. Julián Speroni was at Dundee when he was 25 and ended up playing in the EPL for years. 

9 minutes ago, runningtings said:

what does he say? i couldnt make any of it out

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The audio is very unclear.

It seems like people are only "hearing what they want to hear".

It appears like someone says:

”are you going away”

mcburnie replies: 

“i hope not, are you”

No real context, but if you insert your own it looks really bad.