Scottish player transfers - Page 153 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

As a Rangers fan I think Patterson is better than Tav, who is suspect defensively but only one of them would have attracted the fee of £12m plus. And if Tav is better, then why did Everton not go for him instead?

Because Tavernier is 30 and Patterson is 20.

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

By all accounts he is the long term replacement for Coleman. But he is only 33, so it could be a couple of years before he supplants him permanently from the first 11. But I've no idea how good Coleman has been lately, so it might be sooner than we think.

Either way, he can't get much less game time than he did at Rangers. Which never stopped Clarke from picking him. 

'Only 33', isn't that quite old for a full back at the top level?  I have no doubt about Patterson's ability, just can't believe Rangers so stupid that they didn't give him more game time. Like others I think he is a better defender than Tavernier who has been poor defensively at times. 

52 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

'Only 33', isn't that quite old for a full back at the top level?  I have no doubt about Patterson's ability, just can't believe Rangers so stupid that they didn't give him more game time. Like others I think he is a better defender than Tavernier who has been poor defensively at times. 

It's certainly pushing it, yeah, but elite footballers can condition their bodies to last much longer than the past. For some, it's more about maintaining the desire than it is the fitness. But, again, I'm not really sure if Coleman is on his way out or not. I hope this is a passing of the baton.

What I thought might have happened was doing a Clarke and reverting to a back 5 so both Tavernier and Patterson could play, but it didn't materialise. Well, we'll know in a few years if £10-16m turns out to be a bargain for Everton or for Rangers.

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

From a Rangers perspective I would have preferred it if we had off loaded Taverner and kept hold off Patterson. It was being reported earlier as £10 million which is daylight robbery. 

10 million plus add ons isn't daylight robbery for a guy who can't get gametime in the SPL. I am actually flabbergasted at the figures quoted for him. From rangers point of view it's brilliant, basically get a fortune for a bench warmer who never plays. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

10 million plus add ons isn't daylight robbery for a guy who can't get gametime in the SPL. I am actually flabbergasted at the figures quoted for him. From rangers point of view it's brilliant, basically get a fortune for a bench warmer who never plays. 

There was a similar situation years ago with Hateley and Duncan Ferguson. The senior pro always gets the nod. Big Dunc turned out okay for a bench warmer when he left for Everton. 

35 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

There was a similar situation years ago with Hateley and Duncan Ferguson. The senior pro always gets the nod. Big Dunc turned out okay for a bench warmer when he left for Everton. 

Yeh i wasn't arguing that Patterson should play ahead of Tavernier, thats up to rangers. Just surprised Everton are willing to pay such a huge fee for a lad who cant get much gametime in the SPL. Duncan ferguson was a different situation, he had already played alot of senior football for Dundee United before he wound up at Everton. Patterson hasn't made 30 appearances for Rangers, he's very much still potential that might not make it at epl level. 

Saying that I rate him and think he will do well there, just surprised by the size of the transfer fee. It must be a record for an spl player with so few appearances. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh i wasn't arguing that Patterson should play ahead of Tavernier, thats up to rangers. Just surprised Everton are willing to pay such a huge fee for a lad who cant get much gametime in the SPL. Duncan ferguson was a different situation, he had already played alot of senior football for Dundee United before he wound up at Everton. Patterson hasn't made 30 appearances for Rangers, he's very much still potential that might not make it at epl level. 

Saying that I rate him and think he will do well there, just surprised by the size of the transfer fee. It must be a record for an spl player with so few appearances. 

The thing is he has turned in game-changing performances at the highest levels - in European club football and international level (a caveat Tavernier does not have) and with so few matches under his belt he can surely only get better with more game time.

48 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing is he has turned in game-changing performances at the highest levels - in European club football and international level (a caveat Tavernier does not have) and with so few matches under his belt he can surely only get better with more game time.

Yeh hes done well and I rate him highly, just surprised figures of 12m plus add ons are being quoted. Thats brilliant money and rangers have hit the jackpot big time. Rangers will need the money what with sportsdirect looking for a payout and the huge losses they have had over the last few seasons.

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Patterson to Everton confirmed;

£12M + £4M add ons and a sell on clause.

Lets see what he can do in the EPL now, all the best to him 

Fantastic for almost every party involved, at least in the short term. Had he played a full season at Rangers, they may have got Kieran Tierney money, but I think this is too good a deal to turn down for someone they don't even need. 

Could he be our next Andy Robertson? Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Fantastic for almost every party involved, at least in the short term. Had he played a full season at Rangers, they may have got Kieran Tierney money, but I think this is too good a deal to turn down for someone they don't even need. 

Apparently, Rangers have another young Scot called Andy Devine ready to step up to compete for a first team spot and is 18. High hopes are held for him by the club.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Apparently, Rangers have another young Scot called Andy Devine ready to step up to compete for a first team spot and is 18. High hopes are held for him by the club.

Adam Devine. He has 6 assists in 8 UEFA youth league matches this season, expect his debut to come in the cluster of games this month.

Stirling Albion at home late January could see Devine, Alex Lowry, Kai Kennedy etc feature who are all well known from our National youth squads. 

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He was never getting a full season anyway - this has saved his season. Wonder if Rangers will invest in some home grown Scots now, Josh Doig could be a good signing for them. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Adam Devine. He has 6 assists in 8 UEFA youth league matches this season, expect his debut to come in the cluster of games this month.

Stirling Albion at home late January could see Devine, Alex Lowry, Kai Kennedy etc feature who are all well known from our National youth squads. 

Apologies to him - Adam Devine. Sounds promising.

31 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Kerr Smith to Crystal Palace for a measly £250,000 according to various reports. 

Seems about £1.5M too little. Shame for Utd if true. 

Is he out of contract in the summer. If not then thats a stupid move by dundee united. Could easily get much more money for him even if he never played much between now and the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is he out of contract in the summer. If not then thats a stupid move by dundee united. Could easily get much more money for him even if he never played much between now and the end of the season. 

He signed a pro contract In the summer with a really low release clause to the EPL apparently. Be good if a Utd fan could help out and explain the situation.

A crazy fee, should be 10 x more. 

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What position does he play? We still have no idea if GVB will be similar to Gerrard or if he will actually give youth a chance. With Patterson away, I'll barely give their results half a glance.

There seems to be loads of highly rated youths coming through at Rangers and subsequently leaving at the first opportunity.

Edited by Tartan blood

Just now, Tartan blood said:

What position does he play? We still have no idea if GVB will be similar to Gerrard or if he will actually give youth a chance. With Patterson away, I'll barely give their results half a glance.

There seems to be loads of highly rated youths coming through and subsequently leaving at the first opportunity.

As I understand it he is a right-back/right wing-back too just like Patterson.