Bids to replace Hampden - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

Between the ongoing lack of qualification for anything,  and the circus surrounding  appointing a new manager,  this might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.  To lose the National stadium , despite its faults,  to me would be almost like an acceptance that we are shite and going nowhere.  

If we had never had a stadium, and were just deciding whether or not to build one,  I would possibly feel different. But to have one, then lose it, to me is just another way to undermine scottish football.

50 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

The design means a capacity of 52,000, whch these days will see it overlooked, besides any other issues, for major international finals.

It's hosting several games at Euro2020, recently held the Europa League final with the potential to host other such games. Only the Champions League final is out of reach of its current capacity.

40 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

The W/E stands are too far from the pitch

So are the N/S stands

The pitch of the stands is too shallow - steeper is better

The design means a capacity of 52,000, whch these days will see it overlooked, besides any other issues, for major international finals.

The transport is a real issue - in other cities the Subway or Cathcart Circle would have been extended or slewed in order to provide mass transport. Though I will allow that the free buses to recent matches have helped considerably.

Enough to be going on with. For the record, as you'll see above, I'm in favour of keeping Hampden as our home and most of my best fitba experiences have happened there. But let's not blind ourselves to those aspects of the stadium that are a problem.

Distance from the pitch...

We are not alone...

Paris, Rome, Berlin, Vienna, Brussels, Minsk, Kiev, Moscow and 2 in Belgrade and many more, I'm sure.

New even grounds are not always what they should be... Wembley and the Emirates are considered great football grounds, but both have shallow Lowe tiers; far worse than Hampden.

I agree the 52k capacity will in this day and age probably mean we have already seen the last ever Champions League final to be held at Hampden.

That said, the stadium is for us and not for a UEFA final once in a blue moon.

We could make it 100k, which would see a lot of UEFA finals......... Not so good for Scotland v. Albania on a Monday night.

Getting away from stadia old or new is always sh*t......... the only time it works is if you can walk away Cardiff, Skopje and Minsk are good examples.

I was thinking about what we would like Hampden to be...

I would like...

1) two tiers all the way round with the upper tier over-hanging the lower as much as possible.

2) steep!

3) tight and as close to the pitch regulations allow. 

The Rhein Energie Stadium in Koln is the nearest I have seen to that description.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes the old National Stadium (where Wales rugby internationals were played) was called Cardiff Arms Park. On that site is where they built the Millennium Stadium. I remember it as being called Cardiff Arms Park but it also geot called the National Stadium.

End of the day the old National Stadium site was bulldozed and Millennium Stadium built on the same site whereas Hampden was virtually kept the same with seats put in and a roof built to cover all stands.

You are clearly far too young to remember what the old Hampden was like.

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, mariokempes56 said:

All standing, ash terracing (held in place by railway sleepers), streams of pish running down the bag of your leg capacity 130,000 (give or take several thousand) ?

Worked well a few years back.

You, on the other hand, are easily old enough.:lol: 

I also miss the old Hampden. Let's just rip oot the seats after the next game?

2 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

If I could swap I would, Regardless of how foul it may seem to a younger generation.

Aye, me too. Especially if I could back to being the same age and we had the same quality of players.

Nowadays even nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.

3 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I was thinking about what we would like Hampden to be...

I would like...

1) two tiers all the way round with the upper tier over-hanging the lower as much as possible.

2) steep!

3) tight and as close to the pitch regulations allow. 

The Rhein Energie Stadium in Koln is the nearest I have seen to that description.

Essentially take the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff (now the Principality stadium). Get rid of that silly old end that they kept, and plonk it on a bulldozed old Hampden.

Thats what I’m after. Steep, good facilities, great sight lines, plenty for the corporate (for revenue) and a fully retractable roof. (I don’t want to watch football in the snow or the driving rain).

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Anyone remember the cloud of dust that would follow a goal in the old Hampden during a dry spell, as people jumped up and doon on the ash?

Have heard said tales from ma faither.  Also having to hold your half bottle close to your mouth coz there was no way you could get anything out of your pockets in the crush.

6 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Anyone remember the cloud of dust that would follow a goal in the old Hampden during a dry spell, as people jumped up and doon on the ash?

No, but I have seen plenty campaigns disappear in a puff of smoke . 

If the new lease also includes the Scottish Cup, here's a possible outcome:

• Hampden re-leased but on a more flexible bias for the SFA
  • Murrayfield used for the guaranteed sell-outs (top seeds, play-offs, Rangers or Celtic semi-finals). Why? An extra 15,000 tickets sold at the highest cost
  • Hampden used for the 35,000-45,000 matches
  • Possibly use smaller grounds for the minnow matches to create a better atmosphere (though it would mean sacrificing income, so i doubt this)
  • Non Old Firm semi-finals taken away from Hampden to sensible venues for 20,000 crowds

1 hour ago, C Mc said:

If the new lease also includes the Scottish Cup, here's a possible outcome:

• Hampden re-leased but on a more flexible bias for the SFA
  • Murrayfield used for the guaranteed sell-outs (top seeds, play-offs, Rangers or Celtic semi-finals). Why? An extra 15,000 tickets sold at the highest cost
  • Hampden used for the 35,000-45,000 matches
  • Possibly use smaller grounds for the minnow matches to create a better atmosphere (though it would mean sacrificing income, so i doubt this)
  • Non Old Firm semi-finals taken away from Hampden to sensible venues for 20,000 crowds

They aren't looking to mix and match stadia. They want a single designated one for internationals and cup semis and finals.

Friendlies can still go to other grounds but as soon as there are >20,000 SSC members then they need to play qualifiers at one of the four biggest stadia if SSC membership guarantees a ticket.

And as I said above, Murrayfield is not designed for segregation.