Question Time Tonight - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

I would judge the expertise of any tradesman based on the standard of their work. Where he/she comes from or the colour of their skin would be totally irrelevant. How much they charge would be relevant but not always the most important factor.

But then how do you know a non uk electrician has been trained to uk standards and knows the uk regulations. If they were working for a bigger company then I would be more trusting as I would assume the company has checked his qualifications. Was told by a polish workmate about how you could get a top welding coding in 2 months in Poland as you only learn how to do that position and don't learn any others or learn the do's and donts with regards to health and safety. Not really got a problem if someone has learned there trade here as there is a much higher chance that it will be to our hs levels but other places have a far far lower level of hs

How many Brits do think make their living overseas?

Plenty of welders over in Norway and plenty work in the oil ind overseas. You could even count those in the merchant navy. Plenty of uk folk on higher positions on ships

But then how do you know a non uk electrician has been trained to uk standards and knows the uk regulations. If they were working for a bigger company then I would be more trusting as I would assume the company has checked his qualifications. Was told by a polish workmate about how you could get a top welding coding in 2 months in Poland as you only learn how to do that position and don't learn any others or learn the do's and donts with regards to health and safety. Not really got a problem if someone has learned there trade here as there is a much higher chance that it will be to our hs levels but other places have a far far lower level of hs

How do you know that anyone is qualified to do the job they do?

Do you serously check your doctor, dentist, hairdresser, pharmacist's qualifications? Does anyone check mine before they come to see me? I think probably not.

How do you know that anyone is qualified to do the job they do?

Do you serously check your doctor, dentist, hairdresser, pharmacist's qualifications? Does anyone check mine before they come to see me? I think probably not.

Do you think the nhs would employ a doctor without the relevant qualifications? What I was saying that certain company's there is a far higher chance that the tradesman would be qualified to the required level than just jo blogs round the corner that says he is qualified.

I used to write permits to work for sparkies (and other tradesmen). You can get a very good idea of their competence by going through their method statement with them. If I am dealing with somebody I don't know very well I will check up on them more often to ensure they are following the method statement and permit to work conditions. The foreigners I have had most dealings with are mostly Polish and Lithuanian. Our company never had any safety issues with these contractors. I have never met an Indian sparky so I have no idea if they are as bad as Prince Phillip would like us to think.

In my experience, the fact that somebody learnt their trade in this country does not automatically make them better tradesmen.

An African doctor performed a successful operation on my Mum a few years ago. A Spanish vet fixed my cat's leg up a few months ago. A fanatical Fenerbahce supporting Turkish barber cuts my hair. One of the more sociable ticket collectors on my local train is from Afghanistan.

Immigrants are fine by me :ok:

In my experience, the fact that somebody learnt their trade in this country does not automatically make them better tradesmen.

Agree that it isn't automatic but I would say there is a higher chance of them knowing uk wiring regs. Seen some shocking wiring by uk sparks.

• 5 weeks later...

I hate Starkey with a passion but 1% of his comments are spot on and he hits the areas the elected politicians are scared of. Cannot believe that.

I am assuming that you don't mean the 1% that neilser mentioned?

Whilst they were on the subject of under age sex, I am guessing that the BBC and Westminster paedo scandals must have got a mention?