Question Time Tonight - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

I think the message she intended to convey was 'This is the sort of lowlife that we're dealing with here..'.

Some Labour halfwit was on the radio half an hour ago berating her for 'reverse snobbery'. Err, no it's just snobbery.

What point do folk think she was trying to make? I don't understand how that photo can offend folk.

I reckon it was, look how thick and common the people in this area are. Let's ignore the fact that they are voting for UKIP.

It is stunning to witness just how low English politics has sunk when UKIP seem to be the new force and they don't have a single cohesive policy. :blink: It would be funny if it wasn't so bloody serious!

Too many politician who are skilled at talking for an hour and not saying a single thing.

The next leader of labour could be chuka umunna. I've seen him on a stack of program's on the telly and never heard one coherent answer. Slimy slimy folk at the top of all the main parties just now, main skill is to duck and weave and be totally inoffensive.

I reckon it was, look how thick and common the people in this area are. Let's ignore the fact that they are voting for UKIP.

That Rochester is full of white van man english nationalists, that's why UKIP are doing so well.

I suppose that must be it, if she's been sacked over it. I hadn't realised that UKIP had hijacked the England flag.

I would have thought it was more likely to be England football fans taking the piss out of Jocks living across the road.

I always felt a bit sorry for English people because, as evidenced by Emily Thornberry's tweet, any expression of English nationalism somehow means you're a racist.

The displaying of the flag of St George now automatically seems to mean you're a UKIP voter also.

She prejudged someone and that isn't acceptable in her position.

It was said a few posts back that if the photo had a St Andrew's cross in it there would be the same reaction up here, but I don't think that's the case.

The Saltire doesn't come with the same connotations that certain people give to the flag of St George.

We get to use symbols to show pride in our country without it having associations with anything unsavoury.

I'd like a random no voter to watch an episode of this when it's recorded in England and explain why they think any of the issues and concerns discussed have any relevance to Scotland. We're a different fecking country and the idea that there's some sort of overarching close similarity is utter bollox. We're evidently heading in entirely different directions at a great speed.

I always felt a bit sorry for English people because, as evidenced by Emily Thornberry's tweet, any expression of English nationalism somehow means you're a racist.

The displaying of the flag of St George now automatically seems to mean you're a UKIP voter also.

She prejudged someone and that isn't acceptable in her position.

It was said a few posts back that if the photo had a St Andrew's cross in it there would be the same reaction up here, but I don't think that's the case.

The Saltire doesn't come with the same connotations that certain people give to the flag of St George.

We get to use symbols to show pride in our country without it having associations with anything unsavoury.

There was a fantastic clip on the TV taken after the Scotland goal on Tuesday - they panned along some of the Scotland support at close range and you had older and younger men and women, some kids, a foxy blonde (presumably why the camera was there in the first place) and some Asian guys, including a guy in a turban. All of them were grinning and clearly happy even though a defeat was obviously looming.

For me the Saltire definitely has different connotations from the cross of St George.

Edited by neilser

For me the Saltire definitely has different connotations from the cross of St George.

For me the difference is that English nationalism has been and is being expressed in terms of ethnic nationalism by the likes of EDL, UKIP and national right wing media. i.e. anti-immigration , England for the English etc.

Scottish Nationalism is more to do with freedom and self government.

On the face of it this is trivial, but the timing is what did for her.

It allowed the Tory-leaning media to downplay the impact of another by-election loss for the Conservatives, and instead focus again on how out-of-touch Labour are with ordinary people. On a night when the Labour front bench thought they could turn the discussion to how much trouble the Conservatives are in, suddenly the topic has changed and Labour are on the back foot again.

That Rochester is full of white van man english nationalists, that's why UKIP are doing so well.

I lived in that area in the 80's...when I went back 20 years later I was shocked at how yobbish it had become....people moving down from London plus local knuckle draggers...I even had a run-in with some Pikeys! It's not a great place, a lot of people I would describe as 'thick'. Am I a snob? No, just a good judge of people.

Looks like Michael Gove MP, Chuka Umunna MP, Jo Brand, Amanda Platell. No UKIP.In a week Scotland is a big story... once again the only Scots voice is a unionist one...

Norman Baker's on as well - born in Aberdeen and moved to England while he was a boy. Bound to be a unionist though...