Question Time Tonight - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Only time I have agreed with ruth

I like Ruth, far more than I should. Her speech in Parliament before the vote on equal rights was one of the most inspirational and human speeches I've ever witnessed from a politician.

I don't dislike her. For a conservative she speaks very well and made a great point last night about voting for the one party you believe in, rather than tactical voting.

I do agree with voting for what you believe in but luckily in this case it will help the Tories so I don't think it was a non political comment

Guest flumax

I like Ruth, far more than I should. Her speech in Parliament before the vote on equal rights was one of the most inspirational and human speeches I've ever witnessed from a politician.

And don't forget her speech about sucking up to the Saudis after their "progressive" king died with half- mast flags.

This is why Scotland need, imo, need a new centre right party, not based on propping up old landed money types but based on libertarian ideals. Not that I would vote for it, but I think the Conservative pandering to middle england and telling them there is room at the top whilst it's all a rouse for a return to pre20 century politics, doesn't seem to fit with Ruth.

There's always party plants at these things, from all sides.

To be fair to him, it's on the front page of the Telegraph today so a fairly relevant question.

It's obvious why Ed Dosent rule it out, because a coalition with the SNP is his most likely chance of getting into Downing Street.

J

Toby still a kaant i see.

ruthie was good , depity was her usual reading the mantra self ,

val decent and danny was a liar as usual and he seemed a worried man.

Dimbles was slightly better (location likely ) than normal .

I feel genuinely sorry for a lot of Scottish Tories. They tend to be old fashioned Tories - and by that I mean pre-Thatcherite. As such they've been left behind by the party down south and the policies, attitudes etc of those leading the UK party are not what they really believe in, but they're right of centre and can't identify with the other parties in Scotland, so they end up as a fringe interest in the UK party.

Murdo Fraser had proposed splitting from the UK Conservative party in the leadership election, and it was very close between him and Ruth. If that happened I think you'd see a blue resurgence in Scotland.

Edited by biffer

To be fair to him, it's on the front page of the Telegraph today so a fairly relevant question.

It's not really though, is it? It's just total nonsense. If the polls are right (which I doubt very much) then any party with about 40 seats in a hung parliament can't possibly be irrelevant.

Unless of course we have a ConLab coalition.

Edited by Orraloon

FFS get a grip min.

Why? I too have some sympathy for Scottish Tories. I know a few who are good value and I've long felt Scottish Tories in general are a completely different breed to the Oxbridge, Bullingdon Club, elite that seem to typify Westminster Tories. Ruth Davidson is a perfect example of someone who would thrive without the UK Party handicapping her and her party. Annabel Goldie was another, as was Alex Fergusson, etc, etc. One of the biggest benefits of independence for me was resetting the traditional parties and loyalties. Kill of Labour's strangehold in Scotland, rid ourselves of our Thatcher hangover and allow a right-wing party a fresh start, etc. Scrap the lot and allow new parties to rise in their place and restart Scottish politics.

It must be a soul-destroying political choice to be right-of-centre in Scotland. Many of those people are good people with little or no representation in parliament. Just because Thatcher, her legacy and the modern UK Conservative Party is riddled with c***s doesnt make them all c***s. Scottish Tories look, feel and sound different to me.

A Tory councillor, pushing a Tory agenda is on the front page of a Tory newspaper. 'Relevant' from a certain point of view...

Old news I know, but difficult to feel too sorry for the Tories when they have the full weight of right wing press and BBC institutional unionism behind them, feeding off lords, olympics, monarchy, etc etc

Old news I know, but difficult to feel too sorry for the Tories when they have the full weight of right wing press and BBC institutional unionism behind them, feeding off lords, olympics, monarchy, etc etc

Exactly.

It's also Scottish Tories....an insignificant minority I suspect....who are pushing for tactical voting in May, because of their hatred and fear of the SNP.

If last nights show was representative of the labour vote in Glasgow ,then i might start believing the SNP will win 40 plus seats.Labour took an absolute kicking last night.Deputy Dug showed why she is too young and too inexperienced for her political position. No doubt she will sneak back into politics with a different hat after the destruction of her party.

Davidson has been to a few political skills consultancy training classes.Her answer to the NHS question is a model for how many voters want our politicians to represent us .Being fair and reasonable with all the evidence presented to then and arguing for a strategy to help solve the problems that our society presents us all without specific political blame.The cynic in me is asking why ?.Putting herself in the Westminster shop window .as a new face of caring Tory....

Best thing for me was the look on the guys face who asked her the question .Expecting a tirade against the SNP ,not the answer he was looking for.Bet he joins UKIP this morning :-))

I like Ruth, far more than I should.

Ditto. I don't agree with most of her policies, but at least she's honest, a rare thing in a politician!

She has her beliefs, and is happy to discuss her point pretty rationally.

Night and day from Deputy Dug

In fairness, I think Dugdale could be an outstanding politician but highlights the problem of pushing politicians into leadership roles before they are ready. She'd make an excellent backbench MSP/MP for now but has some way to go before she'd be ready to lead. She is also perfect example of what Labour is doing to good people - she's increasingly had to toe the party line that requires her to lower herself to b*tching incessantly about the SNP and coming across as bitter as any cybernat. Malcolm Chisholm has also lowered himself to tweeting cheap shots just to stick with the party line.

The sooner we get independence, the better, at which point we should disband all political parties, take two weeks holiday and then see what new parties rise from the ashes. I want to see our politicians off their leashes and back arguing for what they believe in.

In fairness, I think Dugdale could be an outstanding politician but highlights the problem of pushing politicians into leadership roles before they are ready. She'd make an excellent backbench MSP/MP for now but has some way to go before she'd be ready to lead. She is also perfect example of what Labour is doing to good people - she's increasingly had to toe the party line that requires her to lower herself to b*tching incessantly about the SNP and coming across as bitter as any cybernat. Malcolm Chisholm has also lowered himself to tweeting cheap shots just to stick with the party line.

The sooner we get independence, the better, at which point we should disband all political parties, take two weeks holiday and then see what new parties rise from the ashes. I want to see our politicians off their leashes and back arguing for what they believe in.

:ok: Agree but i want to see them argue for what WE believe in as our representatives for us all.Exactly in line with the original democratic principles in Athens circa 500 BC

She is also perfect example of what Labour is doing to good people - she's increasingly had to toe the party line that requires her to lower herself to b*tching incessantly about the SNP and coming across as bitter as any cybernat. Malcolm Chisholm has also lowered himself to tweeting cheap shots just to stick with the party line.

You can add Jenny Marra to that list...

Sorry to link to the Telegraph, but this is absolutely delicious from John Major:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11452938/John-Major-It-is-shameful-that-Labour-hasnt-ruled-out-a-pact-with-the-SNP.html

You can taste the fear!

I would LOVE to see the SNP sweep the board in May, just to see the explosion of indignant rage from middle England.

I particularly liked his utter disbelief that anybody could possibly vote for anyone to the left of Labour :lol: