Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands

DoonTheSlope

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Each Player Don A Poppy On Their Kit vs The Netherlands

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Bobster said:

Look at the vitriol heaped on those that do.

I agree with Malcolm in that it should be a personal decision and not forced on anyone.

Found that an interesting article mind.

How exactly was my post "vitriol" ?

I don't believe the myth that "our brave boys" were always heroes or that there is something glorious and honourable about getting shot to pieces on a muddy battlefield for rich men's benefit.

Never heard of how people selling white poppies of the Peace Pledge Union out on streets every year get verbally abused, subject to intimidation and even physically assaulted ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bitter criticism, bitter feelings.

On 30/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

It's time to put this nauseating, jingoistic celebration of militarism, death and destruction in the bin where it belongs :ok:

I’ve no problem with your criticism or feelings. I can’t remember ever having worn a poppy myself but wouldn’t try to stop anyone from doing so if that were their wish.

As I said, Flure’s article is an interesting one though.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't believe the myth that "our brave boys" were always heroes or that there is something glorious and honourable about getting shot to pieces on a muddy battlefield for rich men's benefit.

Never heard of how people selling white poppies of the Peace Pledge Union out on streets every year get verbally abused, subject to intimidation and even physically assaulted ?

Its up to you... entitled to your opinion.  War is indeed not glorious... it’s horrible.  Personally I choose to remember those that made a sacrifice, often not of their choosing, to allow me and my ancestors the freedoms that I have today.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Its up to you... entitled to your opinion.  War is indeed not glorious... it’s horrible.  Personally I choose to remember those that made a sacrifice, often not of their choosing, to allow me and my ancestors the freedoms that I have today.

That's right Captain Mainwaring because you are so much better than the rest of us nasty people. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Bitter criticism, bitter feelings.

Eh ?

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's right Captain Mainwaring because you are so much better than the rest of us nasty people. :rolleyes:

Eh ?

Don't you ever tire of coming across like a tube? Your opinions are fine, sometimes laudable, you just seem incapable of expressing them without at the same time imputing views onto fellow posters that they clearly do not hold. It's a weird defensive tic, and rather unbecoming. No need to thank me ...

11 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Don't you ever tire of coming across like a tube? Your opinions are fine, sometimes laudable, you just seem incapable of expressing them without at the same time imputing views onto fellow posters that they clearly do not hold. It's a weird defensive tic, and rather unbecoming. No need to thank me ...

And do you ever tire of being the most utterly pretentious, psuedo-intellectual, la-di-da, know it all ?

It's so obvious anyway your always just looking up something on the internet and then pretending to know what your talking about.

I'm fine with who I am. If you don't like it you can always block my posts ok ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

No it’s not but they do own them and they decide what goes on them and there will probably be poppies on them next week so I guess people will just need to get used to the idea. 

There were poppies on our shirts at Wembley last November and the world didn’t come to an end so it looks like the matter isn’t all that important. 

Last year was totally different, the game was on the 11th and was a Scotland England game. Nationalist, Unionist or what ever, if you couldn't  show any respect for you heritage on that occasion I pity you.

Back to normal now and should be up to the individual. The I'm better than you I don't(majority on here) and the I'm better than you I do ( majority elsewhere) really should stop making themselves look stupid.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Last year was totally different, the game was on the 11th and was a Scotland England game. Nationalist, Unionist or what ever, if you couldn't  show any respect for you heritage on that occasion I pity you.

Back to normal now and should be up to the individual. The I'm better than you I don't(majority on here) and the I'm better than you I do ( majority elsewhere) really should stop making themselves look stupid.

So it shouldn’t have been up to the individual last year due to rules that you’ve clearly made up but it should be up to the individual this year? How bizarre. 

The rest of your post is spot on though. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

So it shouldn’t have been up to the individual last year due to rules that you’ve clearly made up but it should be up to the individual this year? How bizarre. 

The rest of your post is spot on though. 

No what I said was that  last year everyone should have wanted to wear the poppy as mark of respect because of the circumstances. Odds on there being a major sporting occasion 100 years after the first world war on the 11th of November involving Scotland and England were pretty slim.

So what I'm saying is that last year it was up to the individual but every one should have wanted to wear it.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No what I said was that  last year everyone should have wanted to wear the poppy as mark of respect because of the circumstances. Odds on there being a major sporting occasion 100 years after the first world war on the 11th of November involving Scotland and England were pretty slim.

So what I'm saying is that last year it was up to the individual but every one should have wanted to wear it.

Fair enough. When you said ‘back to normal now and it should be up to the individual’ it sounded like you meant it shouldn’t have been last year. 

I think it more or less will be. I can’t see the SFA forcing someone to wear one if anyone objects. No doubt some idiots will complain about anyone who opts out though. 

19 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Eh ?

Lol, nobody said anything about being better than anybody.  I told you MY personal reasons for wearing a poppy.  You struggle with other people having views other than your own.

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Good, i see ibrox was its usual ott tacky pish display

It’s not really my thing either but does it do any harm? 

Maybe we should just let each club do as it sees fit without judging them?

If Celtic/Hibs or whoever don’t want to mark Rememberance Day then that’s fine. If Rangers do then fair enough. Not sure why people are making a big deal about it either way to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s not really my thing either but does it do any harm? 

Maybe we should just let each club do as it sees fit without judging them?

If Celtic/Hibs or whoever don’t want to mark Rememberance Day then that’s fine. If Rangers do then fair enough. Not sure why people are making a big deal about it either way to be honest. 

I tend to agree tbh, just not a fan of the ott stuff. As has been discussed its used for point scoring etc personally i think a minutes silence would suffice, no poppys on tops etc and its next week anyway!!!

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I tend to agree tbh, just not a fan of the ott stuff. As has been discussed its used for point scoring etc personally i think a minutes silence would suffice, no poppys on tops etc and its next week anyway!!!

Unless you’re a Rangers fan (doesn’t sound like you are) then you shouldn’t really have an issue with that they do for it, whether it’s OTT in your opinion or not. 

There’s no top flight football next week due to the international break and even if there was, most teams at home this week would be away next week so this week would be there only chance to do anything to mark it at their own ground .

It just baffles me that people (I don’t necessarily mean you) seem to have strong opinions about stuff that has absolutely no effect on them whatsoever. 

I couldn’t care less either way (even with Scotland) if a team wears a poppy or not. It’s meaningless really.