Scott McTominay - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

CNelson

2 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

I only saw the first half but McTominay was neat and tidy, wasn't afraid to take possession and good at recycling possession but didn't necessarily do anything spectacular with it.

McBurnie started pretty slowly but had a couple of decent touches as the half wore on.

Cheers bud, will try and catch the highlights. Here's hoping that both players can turn it on and McTominay chooses Scotland

Watched the game as well, purely to see these two. Will echo much of what has been said.

McTominay was tidy, but unspectacular. Not that you really want your defensive mids to be spectacular all the time. Showed a bit of skill, got himself out of some tight positions well, was always in the game and looked after things well as Lingard and Herrera went forward. Tbh he should probably get a call up. On this showing I'd say he's better than Fletcher and McArthur right now. As has been said, his physique certainly helps. Him in along side McDonald would scare the bejeezus out of most midfields, both around 6'4", and capable.

McBurnie had very little to work with. What little he did get he did alright with. Has better feet than i thought he did and had a nice duck of the shoulder to cut inside Darmian at one point. Swansea did disappear 2nd half tho, and he basically got nothing. When he went off for Abraham they seemed to gain confidence and found Abraham more (and he did well with it). That said, Tammy Abraham is probably a fair bit better than Griffiths, so.. not really a fair measure to hold McBurnie against. Certainly he did himself no harm with the performance and the fans seemed to appreciate his efforts.

As others have said, a solid showing from both for different reasons.

Thought McTominay was relatively invisible and that's not intended to be a criticism. As a defensive midfielder in a one-sided game, he didn't have a huge amount to do but what he did do was keep it ticking over and kept it simple. Will have ticked all the right boxes for Mourinho too by sticking to a simple game plan and executing it well, and that probably reflects well on his temperament and chances of featuring more this season. Don't really buy the Fletcher comparisons - instantly better in the air and more composed in his tactical awareness. Fletcher's best quality in his younger years was his engine and that often masked his technical short-comings (compared to his Man United teammates). McTominay played a more static role last night and it's too soon to tell how he'll fare in more competitive and un-tempo fixtures. Encouraging though.

McBurnie looked half-decent especially given he was feeding off scraps. Had a couple of nice turns and looked strong in a few driving runs. Too early to tell if he's ready for anything more at this stage. Given the lack of talent in the strikers department, I'd definitely be keeping an eye on him - if Martin is good enough, McBurnie will be enough with a bit more experience. 

IMO, I'd sooner see us call up these guys than some of the current fringe players. Get a handful of them into a squad, see how they react, see how they fit in and gel with existing players, and see how much they want it.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:46 PM, Auld_Reekie said:

IMO, I'd sooner see us call up these guys than some of the current fringe players. Get a handful of them into a squad, see how they react, see how they fit in and gel with existing players, and see how much they want it.

Totally agree with that. This really is the moment to be giving opportunities and evolving the squad for the next campaign and the one after that. The likes of Fletcher, McArthur and Morrison can't continue to be central to our side (no pun intended).

We need to be blooding players quickly now and getting htem involved so we don't suddenly end up having to call up people for their debuts in big games because we've had a few injuries.

Anthony Ralston, Liam Lindsey, Kevin McDonald, Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, John McGinn, Oli Burke, Ryan Fraser, Tom Cairney, Oli McBurnie.. Ideally all in the squad for the Netherlands. Would show a really refreshing forward thinking outlook.

There's a danger that Mackay plays it safe and picks an experienced, 'Strachan' squad.. and I can see the argument for doing that (unbeaten in 2017), but for the guy in charge of developing young talent to overlook it in his squad would send a pretty bad message all round.

I think there's still an argument for picking experienced players. After all, it's important that when these young guys report for training/matches that they conduct themselves in the right manner and apply themselves 100%, and learn what's expected of them at international level. You lose that if you suddenly replace the experienced guys with youngsters. Needs to be a good blend. I actually think his squad does this reasonably well but would follow it up with more new faces at the next friendly opportunity.

9 minutes ago, allyc said:

If he doesnt know by now,it doesnt look good for a scotland call....well his loss.

It's worth remembering the disappointment felt when the then highly rated Josh McEachran (Scottish parents) turned down the chance to play for us in 2012 after breaking into the first team at Chelsea.

His run in the first team though was short lived. Chelsea sent him out on loan several times where he did not progress as a player.

He's now at Brentford, on the bench mostly. I don't think we'll be trying to persuade him to switch allegiance anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's worth remembering the disappointment felt when the then highly rated Josh McEachran (Scottish parents) turned down the chance to play for us in 2012 after breaking into the first team at Chelsea.

His run in the first team though was short lived. Chelsea sent him out on loan several times where he did not progress as a player.

He's now at Brentford, on the bench mostly. I don't think we'll be trying to persuade him to switch allegiance anytime soon.

Tbf mctominay is better off taking his time and making the right decision rather than swapping and changing further down the line. He is English born and bred as is his parents I think so it's only natural that he may want to play for england. It would of been best if he had never mentioned anything about being Scottish or potentially playing for us as he has now put himself in a position of having to make a decision that could let the Scottish fans down.

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

im sure he turned us down again whilst playing for some dutch team. fair enough at least he never mucked us about

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf mctominay is better off taking his time and making the right decision rather than swapping and changing further down the line. He is English born and bred as is his parents I think so it's only natural that he may want to play for england. It would of been best if he had never mentioned anything about being Scottish or potentially playing for us as he has now put himself in a position of having to make a decision that could let the Scottish fans down.

hes already been accepting call ups and taking the place of players who would love to represent scotland at any level. if he is saying he needs to make up his mind that says it all to me, (i want to play for england but if that doesnt happen i dont want to give up the chance of international football) as someone said before a while back you should declare at a certain age. 18 for me.

i remember sammut being asked if he would consider changing to play for england he said no way, i've been called up for scotland and thats it for me. im not saying england would like to call him up but thats the attitude you want.

Edited by LewisEDI

1 minute ago, LewisEDI said:

im sure he turned us down again whilst playing for some dutch team. fair enough at least he never mucked us about

Yes. And of course it turned out he wasn't anything special. 

It's important that people don't get too excited about McTominay, even if he does decide to play for us. There's been lots of players who did well in their first few games at a big club and then just faded away.

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

hes already been accepting call ups and taking the place of players who would love to represent scotland at any level. if he is saying he needs to make up his mind that says it all to me, (i want to play for england but if that doesnt happen i dont want to give up the chance of international football) as someone said before a while back you should declare at a certain age. 18 for me.

i remember sammut being asked if he would consider changing to play for england he said no way, i've been called up for scotland and thats it for me. im not saying england would like to call him up but thats the attitude you want.

I think he's played in a couple of youth squads, hardly anything that commits you to the country. At the end of the day the lad is English with English parents so it's understandable that he may have confusion over who he wants to play for. In an ideal world there would be a declaration when you turn 18 but there isn't. Whatever his decision is I wish him the best as he has everyright to be unsure given the fact him and his parents are born and bred in England. It's easy for someone like myself who is born and bred Scottish and who's parents grandparents etc are all Scots to cast judgement on someone who is wavering playing for us due to being from England and perhaps feeling English. Each situation is unique and trying to equate sammut with mctominay is daft and a simplistic way of assessing nationality and commitment to that nationality. Sammut seems like he has dedicated himself to Scotland and fair play to him but it doesn't necessarily mean mctominay should not be given some time to make what will be a career defining decision for him that will be for life.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think he's played in a couple of youth squads, hardly anything that commits you to the country. At the end of the day the lad is English with English parents so it's understandable that he may have confusion over who he wants to play for. In an ideal world there would be a declaration when you turn 18 but there isn't. Whatever his decision is I wish him the best as he has everyright to be unsure given the fact him and his parents are born and bred in England. It's easy for someone like myself who is born and bred Scottish and who's parents grandparents etc are all Scots to cast judgement on someone who is wavering playing for us due to being from England and perhaps feeling English. Each situation is unique and trying to equate sammut with mctominay is daft and a simplistic way of assessing nationality and commitment to that nationality. Sammut seems like he has dedicated himself to Scotland and fair play to him but it doesn't necessarily mean mctominay should not be given some time to make what will be a career defining decision for him that will be for life.

both his parents are scottish. im not foaming at the mouth about it but after coming out with i'm more scottish than english then it was a bit wide to  then say u need to decide your international allegiance after playing for scotland.  anyway hes played a couple of professional games and hasnt done anything spectacular, nothing to get get really worked up about.

9 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

Yeah, that was my suggestion.... declare as you sign professional forms.  Save all the pising about...  I can’t help feel that players want their cake and eat it.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1784039/scott-mctominay-scotland-turns-down-chance-to-make-debut/

If you believe the sun then the above is true and he’s waiting to see if he’s called up for England.

Time will tell, let’s not judge him as we don’t even know if Mackay tried him for Holland. 

I will wait for a quote before believing the above. We're strong in midfield and it remains to be seen if he's better than McGinn, who will play a similar role. Let the lad take his time.

I read a piece on him yesterday, he's grown 10 inches in the last 2 years. :wow:

This has led to a lot of injuries however, he has only played 49 matches (at any level) since August 2013.

Edited by Davied14