New Points Structure For Next Campaign - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Points Structure For Next Campaign

Gary Stirling

Its got potential, but I suspect this is more to entice people to come along to Nation Cup Home games (with the lack of a big team... ie England, Italy, Netherlands, Spain etc....) there is not really a out and out appealing match for people to attend (Bulgaria, Romania and Estonia over 3 months does not exactly get people flocking in record numbers).

If it boosts attendances at Home games, then that is a plus.... but given the slim chances of getting Saturday matches these days, unless you live in the central belt, its not really changing anything (those who attend away games are still most likely to attend home games.... so effectively the difference your Home point makes is minimal)

Edited by wanderer

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I think someone said earlier everyone is getting different information on the points system and membership benefits depending on responses to see what is more likely to persuade people to renew. Personally I don't have to big an issue with that.

If they really want to get as many fans going they need to come up with a better pricing structure for tickets and membership.

With the nations cup and less Saturday games they also need to come up with more affordable transport + transport taking people back across Scotland after the game. I get this isn't something they control but hopefully they can sort something out with scotrail to put on later trains as I can't see our group going to next years games unless they are on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (might make the exception if only 1 of the games is midweek). If it is a qualifier we'll probably still make the effort for midweek games.

No really fussed for change if I'm honest, over all happy with most things, ticket price and membership price probably could come down. Seen different people getting different results at the end of the survey. Mines was identical to this year expect under 12's membership is free.

If they want to add the home points it should be done fairly and give points to everyone on their attendance over the last 20 games home and away. I.e I'm on seven away points, it should be doubled as away points are now 2, which will take me to 14, add to that the last 10 home games one point for each, taking me to 24 out of the new maximum 30.

I can't help seeing it as a money making exercise though, giving one point for a home game when there's no way to control harvesting, everyone buys a ticket to get a point even if they don't actually go, Sfa fill their pockets with a half empty stadium.

1 hour ago, Mazziessc said:

I can't help seeing it as a money making exercise though, giving one point for a home game when there's no way to control harvesting, everyone buys a ticket to get a point even if they don't actually go, Sfa fill their pockets with a half empty stadium.

You can't blame the SFA if folk are prepared to pay for tickets for a game they've no intention of attending.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

You can't blame the SFA if folk are prepared to pay for tickets for a game they've no intention of attending.

I'm just saying they are fly basa's. They know fine well it will happen.

It will end up that home games don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Their accounts will look good though so it's al good. 

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

While it does open to abuse, if you are going to start chucking money at the SFA for home tickets you do not plan to use (though you would hope anyone mad enough to do that over a prolonged period would just hand them over to someone) just to get a few messily points up the ladder, when really its the away points that count.

Pots for the Nations Cup are starting to take shape, and its going to be a while before points for away games will be a issue (could still change, but places like Romania, Israel, Denmark, Greece, Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Norway, Finland, Cyprus and Azerbaijan will hardly be a major issue,while Slovenia and Lithuania only question marks).

While I do not think the old system was bad, this proposal is just tarting it up, but the knock on effects will hardly be noticed from a fan level I expect.

19 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Some pretty innovative ideas , we really like them . Supporters Club needs a good shake up .

Like the home point ,was pretty pissed off soaking and freezing at Canada friendly for no reward . Never understood why only supporters who go to away games get a point  .

I have also started missing home games like Malta, if I am getting a point then I will probably go .

The group discount is not before time ,think some of our lapsed members may rejoin but surely could get membership down to £30 if they leave out the rubbish they send us .

Agree with this, will encourage more fans (myself included) to go to home friendlies & less attractive home games (like Malta), as I never even bother going to friendlies anymore (expect when we played England.

To make it really work, they need to have a proper think about managing points harvesting, as they struggled to do it for away games and much smaller numbers, so I wonder how they will do it for home games.  Or maybe they wont care as they will be getting more money in the coffers whether people turn up for home games or not.

17 hours ago, Reevesy said:

You only follow Scotland at home if you're getting rewarded with a point? 

Sounds like you're not really that interested in supporting the team, which makes it harder to understand why you'd care about points in the first place.

What your saying makes no sense, if you don't go to less attractive home games and only the odd 'big' away game you will get less points than the guy dressed like something off a shortbread tin who goes home & away to every single game and arranges their life around following Scotland.  Therefore if we ever qualify for a major tournament, the shortbread man will get first dibs on tickets still, so what's the problem?

This is surely about encouraging fans who only go to bigger home qualifiers to come along to other home games as well, therefore increasing income and hopefully atmosphere?  Well worth trying something different IMO

I think it's fair enough.  Folk that go to all games home and away will have more points than those who only go to away games.  It also gives guys who go to home games but only the occasional away game a better chance of an away ticket.

Guy goes to 5 home games and 1 away game.  Old system he would only have 1 point.  New system he has 7 points

Other guy goes to no home games and 1 away game. Old system 1 point. New system 2 points.  First guy, rightly, is higher up the queue.

If I was to be picky I would offer 3 points for an away game as it usually involves more cost and commitment.  But this is definitely a start.

Remember it's a Supporters Club, not a Travel Club. 

7 hours ago, teecee- said:

Good changes, if me attending every home game improves my chances of an away ticket then well done.

I am usually an exasperated ballotier.

It won't though? People just haven't thought this through. They appear to believe there are thousands going to away game but not home games. Thats not so. I know a few people who would suddenly go from 0 to 10 points on the new system but haven't been to any games home or away for several years.

They didn't want to lose their memberships but were happy to buy home tickets for non SSC members to go with the rest of a group. The SSC wouldn't discourage this as they want to sell tickets and don't care who buys them so people like you would probably fall further behind if others who do go to most games did the same for home games they didn't attend.

Can't be policed fairly so will give the wingers something more to cry about when they learn that in reality they still won't get any closer to away tickets without going to enough away games.

Agree with most of what has been said on this page, we all pay the same membership fee so we should all be given the same right to points home and away while giving those who go away an extra point for spending a lot more on their trip . As someone said earlier home game points will give them a chance they have not got at the moment to get on the points ladder. (I  am on 5 points so benefit from present system)

2 hours ago, chewie said:

I think it's fair enough.  Folk that go to all games home and away will have more points than those who only go to away games.  It also gives guys who go to home games but only the occasional away game a better chance of an away ticket.

Guy goes to 5 home games and 1 away game.  Old system he would only have 1 point.  New system he has 7 points

Other guy goes to no home games and 1 away game. Old system 1 point. New system 2 points.  First guy, rightly, is higher up the queue.

If I was to be picky I would offer 3 points for an away game as it usually involves more cost and commitment.  But this is definitely a start.

Which is fine and easy to gather points for if you stay around Glasgow area on a Wednesday night. 

Inverness is a helluva lot more difficult to get home from and expensive. 

These fans are being punished if home points are awarded, even if they attend every away game. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Which is fine and easy to gather points for if you stay around Glasgow area on a Wednesday night. 

These fans are being punished if home points are awarded, even if they attend every away game. 

Agreed. And I live 10 miles from Glasgow. They would need to move the games around different stadiums for this to be fair.

Regarding the membership, am I reading this correct?  If the membership is over 35k there is no guarantee you will get a ticket for a home game even if you have paid 50 quid for the membership?  

3 hours ago, chewie said:

It started as a travel club and only many years later changed to a supporters club which is why it may take a bit of readjusting for many supporters.

It has "evolved" in recent years just to cream more money from Scotland fans and lost most of it's original aims and good intentions.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Bang on. 

Also leads into what I said about home point harvesting too, Likely to be very hard to police. Easy for guys up north to spend £30 on a ticket as opposed to travel, accommodation, time off work before a ticket.

23 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Having not read the email is it suggesting that home & away points are added together & then its based on last 10 games(home & away) ? :unsure:

No, each person answers all the questions and it generates your view of what the next pricing/rewards should be based on how you answered. I got identical to what it is but under 12's go free, others got points for home games, some even got 50% off at JD ?

Edited by Mazziessc

Just now, Mazziessc said:

No, each person answers all the questions and it generates your view of what the next pricing should be based on how you answered. I got identical to what it is but under 12's go free, others got points for home games, some even got 50% off at JD ?

You could give me 80% off at JD & I still wouldn't waste my money on a tacky football top. :lol:

2 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

You could give me 80% off at JD & I still wouldn't waste my money on a tacky football top. :lol:

I got the wains strip and it was still extortionate ?

I think the ones who got the home points options got it as the last ten home and last ten away with he first applicable home game the 1st  of the new campaign 

1 hour ago, fringo said:

It started as a travel club and only many years later changed to a supporters club which is why it may take a bit of readjusting for many supporters.

It has "evolved" in recent years just to cream more money from Scotland fans and lost most of it's original aims and good intentions.

This.

The SFA strategy with this one is to introduce home games to the 'loyalty programme'as 'silver handcuffs' for the purpose of raising attendances to home games that wouldn't otherwise sell out.

By doing so they are hoping to generate enough extra bodies so that they don't have to address the real issue with home games - which is the ludicrously overpriced ticketing strategy.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

This.

The SFA strategy with this one is to introduce home games to the 'loyalty programme'as 'silver handcuffs' for the purpose of raising attendances to home games that wouldn't otherwise sell out.

By doing so they are hoping to generate enough extra bodies so that they don't have to address the real issue with home games - which is the ludicrously overpriced ticketing strategy.

I concur with your additional points too.

It's no coincidence that this has coincided with dwindling home crowds.