New Points Structure For Next Campaign - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Points Structure For Next Campaign

Gary Stirling

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is rich enough or obsessed enough to buy tickets for a match they have no intention of going to - just to gain some loyalty points that they will probably never need -  more fool them.  Too many knickers getting in a twist over very little....

If you go to all away games everywhere and somehow can't ever make it to Hampden because you live in Inverness  - you will still have 20 points out of 30.  More than enough for any away game.  When was the last time that more than 7 points was needed?  

And if you manage to make the tough journey to Glasgow for half the games you will be on 25.  You might lose your elite tag though.....  

If they are going to introduce home points there should be a bigger disparity between them and away points. They are basically saying that someone who jumps on a local service bus and attends a couple of games at Hampden has the same commitment as someone who pays a few hundred quid and 3-4 days off work to travel to Belgrade or Skopje or Vilnius for a game. 

Its also a kick in the teeth for anyone outside the central belt who is now going to be potentially penalised for not making all midweek games due to their location making travelling to/from Hampden more than just a quick jaunt in the car. If they truly value all Scotland fans loyalty, from all over the country, they should ensure the games which may attract smaller audiences are spread equally around the country where possible.

5 minutes ago, chewie said:

If you go to all away games everywhere and somehow can't ever make it to Hampden because you live in Inverness  - you will still have 20 points out of 30.  More than enough for any away game.  When was the last time that more than 7 points was needed?  

And if you manage to make the tough journey to Glasgow for half the games you will be on 25.  You might lose your elite tag though.....  

:-)) 

Aye, I said earlier that it should be 3 points for an away game.  Fair point on that. Also agree on moving the smaller games around the country. I live in central belt but enjoy going to Aberdeen and Edinburgh for games. 

In terms of commitment, time and cost - you get the same point for nipping to Wembley or Cardiff as you do for Skopje or Tbilisi.  Some you win, some you lose.

I try not to think of it as being penalised. It's just that those who go to home games are rewarded for doing so, and those that don't aren't.  You haven't got the points and then losing them. You earn them. If you go to most away games, you will never have to worry about tickets. 

Genuine question for folk who are annoyed by this - what is your worry?  Not getting tickets for a game? Or your place in the league table?  

46 minutes ago, chewie said:

This.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

If they are going to introduce home points there should be a bigger disparity between them and away points. They are basically saying that someone who jumps on a local service bus and attends a couple of games at Hampden has the same commitment as someone who pays a few hundred quid and 3-4 days off work to travel to Belgrade or Skopje or Vilnius for a game. 

Its also a kick in the teeth for anyone outside the central belt who is now going to be potentially penalised for not making all midweek games due to their location making travelling to/from Hampden more than just a quick jaunt in the car. If they truly value all Scotland fans loyalty, from all over the country, they should ensure the games which may attract smaller audiences are spread equally around the country where possible.

Let's be honest, it's not exclusive selfless commitment that drives the majority of folk to travel abroad. The experience, beer and company has a lot to do with it as well. If it truly was commitment they would be at hampden no matter what, but it's not usually as compelling an experience so they don't make the same effort (which is absolutely fine / not a criticism). They'll still get 20pts as well.

Folk are being rewarded for attending home games. Which is absolutely right. Not getting a reward isn't the same thing as being punished. 

However, the fact we dont all stay in the same house does means we dont have equal access to the reward (home or away points). Moving home games about the country is a decent way to partly mitigate this. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

7 hours ago, stinky said:

dont matter what the sfa do people will moan 

The Sfa could put a dozen puppy's in a sack with bricks, thrown them into the Clyde and people would still lap it up like a dummy tit in oyster milk

Edited by DoonTheSlope

6 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Folk are being rewarded for attending home games. Which is absolutely right. Not getting a reward isn't the same thing as being punished.

But why should folks be rewarded for attending home games? It's not an "equal" commitment. Someone who lives in Somerville Drive doesn't have the same outlay and time requirements as say someone from London. 

It also bucks the trend, as fair as I am aware, of club football. The reward for home game attendance is you have a ticket to see the team. Most clubs, AFAIK, keep track of fans attending aways separately and reward those who go away most with first dibs on future away tickets. They don't mix the two together. Why do the SFA feel the need to do so? 

A lot of clubs do mix home and away points structures. Huddersfield have a good one where if you don't have a season ticket, you are way down the pecking order. And if you do have one, then the number of seasons you have had it earns you more. Home games are bread and butter for clubs. 

There is a lot that the SFA have got wrong. North Stand pricing, low ticket allocations in half empty stadia for example.  But this points thing is no big deal.

56 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

But why should folks be rewarded for attending home games? It's not an "equal" commitment. Someone who lives in Somerville Drive doesn't have the same outlay and time requirements as say someone from London. 

But on the other hand someone living in London has better options for travelling to away games and possibly more cash to spend on them too.

Winners and losers with every system. I think this change is reasonable as the bulk of our support will see some benefit from it.

If people start missing out on home tickets due to single point harvesters, or regular away game attenders find they are no longer earning enough points to get official tickets then it should be reviewed, but until then it's worth a try.

It's not difficult to attend away games.  The travel club came in before mass use of the internet, cheap flights and higher disposable income.  Away trips are basically a boys holiday for those who can afford with many not caring about the result but "the perty".  Domestic clubs acknowledge their core loyal fanbase at home games.  The SFA are following this logical trend.

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Which is fine and easy to gather points for if you stay around Glasgow area on a Wednesday night. 

Inverness is a helluva lot more difficult to get home from and expensive. 

These fans are being punished if home points are awarded, even if they attend every away game. 

Not to mention fans like our group who live in Southern England. It's actually easier to get to Cardiff and Wembley. 

I joined the STC years ago to get the opportunity to buy away tickets and the occasional home ticket. 

They could get more members by reducing the fee, or splitting it to a home membership and a Travel Club. 

Abyway, as you can guess I'm in the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. We all started out on nothing. 

J

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

This.

The SFA strategy with this one is to introduce home games to the 'loyalty programme'as 'silver handcuffs' for the purpose of raising attendances to home games that wouldn't otherwise sell out.

By doing so they are hoping to generate enough extra bodies so that they don't have to address the real issue with home games - which is the ludicrously overpriced ticketing strategy.

This. Sort the prices out (as that's the only thing they can control). Have a word with Scotrail, get some sort of concession (or even late trains). Boom, a full stadium.

J

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The Sfa could put a dozen puppy's in a sack with bricks, thrown them into the Clyde and people would still lap it up like a dummy tit in oyster milk

There are far too many dogs in this country. I would happily sponsor one of the bricks.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

It's not difficult to attend away games.  The travel club came in before mass use of the internet, cheap flights and higher disposable income.  Away trips are basically a boys holiday for those who can afford with many not caring about the result but "the perty".  Domestic clubs acknowledge their core loyal fanbase at home games.  The SFA are following this logical trend.

Then split the clubs.

I'll buy an Away one, others can buy a Home one.

Some will buy both.

J

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Home games are actually worse than away games for that

The guy from Inverness is right about travel difficulties for midweek games , we have the same problem ,took us 4hours to get to Parkhead for the Ireland game on a Friday night. But that is exactly why we should be rewarded with a point for our efforts . I don't think many Scotland fans live in Glasgow these days , most seem to come from the North East etc. I also agree that the Nations Cup games should be moved round the country to try to get near to a full house cos the atmosphere at a half empty Hampden has been crap in recent years ,and cut the ticket prices! 

We have had to buy 6 tickets for the home end in Lithuania for supporters on 1 2 and 3 points, these guys have been at most home games for years , if they had been given a point for home games then they might have had enough points for a Scotland end ticket .

11 hours ago, chewie said:

And if you manage to make the tough journey to Glasgow for half the games you will be on 25.  

I, like everyone else in the central belt that regularly travels away will be happy with any points system changes, satisfied knowing we are virtually guaranteed tickets home or away.

11 hours ago, chewie said:

I try not to think of it as being penalised. It's just that those who go to home games are rewarded for doing so, and those that don't aren't.  You haven't got the points and then losing them. You earn them. If you go to most away games, you will never have to worry about tickets. 

Genuine question for folk who are annoyed by this - what is your worry?  Not getting tickets for a game? Or your place in the league table?  

I can see why folk would be annoyed, guy who lives in Inverness and occasionally travels away and to home games where practicable, (Wednesday night @ 7.45 basically forces two days of work and possibly an over night stay) Guy who lives in Glasgow who also occasionally travels away can quickly earn more points than the Inverness guy while taking no time off work on Wednesday, going for a few pints before the game with his mates and turning up at work Thursday.

Guy from Inverness? He may then chose to buy a ticket, get his point and save himself some money. Which then has a negative effect on the Glasgow guy who actually went to the game?

Please tell me how this can be effectively policed considering the SFA (with great effort it as to be said)fail to completely ensure no point harvesting for away games.

11 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Let's be honest, it's not exclusive selfless commitment that drives the majority of folk to travel abroad. The experience, beer and company has a lot to do with it as well. If it truly was commitment they would be at hampden no matter what, but it's not usually as compelling an experience so they don't make the same effort (which is absolutely fine / not a criticism). They'll still get 20pts as well.

However, the fact we dont all stay in the same house does means we dont have equal access to the reward (home or away points). Moving home games about the country is a decent way to partly mitigate this. 

Impossible. With the amount of memberships sold, to guarantee seats for everyone matches would need to be played at Ibrox, Parkhead, Hampden or Murrayfield. Include that with the nations league starting and less (if any friendlys) you can forget us playing anywhere bar Hampden.

Mazzie , you make a lot of sense, but I don't think many supporters are going to join up for 50quid , go to the big group home games then buy overpriced tickets for the wee teams that they can't sell on but don't intend to go to . They would be well out of pocket for only 3 points .

The bigger problem is the guys buying up lower priced tickets for the away games . All our ticket were sold for the game in Prague yet there were loads of empty seats .

I think the "home" points has pro's and con's..... I am not fully for it, but not entirely against it.

The survey I did made no reference to points, but more £5 - £10 off your SSC membership if you join/renew as a group with your mates (ie 5 of you renew, £5 off each.... £10 if 10 of you renew).

So the survey seems to be covering a series of options which cover various topic's that the SSC are looking to go down.

Just a case of what bits they use from the survey feedback and to make it appealing for people to renew ahead of the Nations League next year.

2 things for me that I think will have contributed to a decline in supporters club: 

• The team's current rankings / performance 

• The "week of football" - if you are out with the central belt then it's much trickier to attend a Tuesday night at Hampden or whatever without having to take time off work. And point 1 feeds into this, do you want to take 2 days off work and spend X to watch us scrape a draw against a Pot 5 team?  

10 minutes ago, McDange said:

2 things for me that I think will have contributed to a decline in supporters club: 

• The team's current rankings / performance 

• The "week of football" - if you are out with the central belt then it's much trickier to attend a Tuesday night at Hampden or whatever without having to take time off work. And point 1 feeds into this, do you want to take 2 days off work and spend X to watch us scrape a draw against a Pot 5 team?  

Would agree with that.

2nd point most certainly out of the SFA/SSC hands, so they have to make membership as appealing as possible.

With the nations cup next year we are not going to get a top nation game that everyone and their mother wish to attend (and it will be early 2019 before we find out the Euro draw) so they have to find ways to get people along to a Scotland v Estonia or Cyprus game on a Novembers midweek night.