The Brexit Thread - Page 93 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Venable re-offended so he never learnt Jack from a prison sentence so I am not wrong in that instance. Ask any scientist or crminologist and they will tell you there is no comparison between fingerprints and DNA. DNA proves without any doubt unlike fingerprints. They found out who the hoaxer who sent police Jack the Ripper tapes after 40 years by DNA extracted from the sticky gum he licked on back of envelope that is how infallible it is.

Who is to say that scientific advances in DNA over the next years might not call into question convictions made on the basis of today's DNA analysis.   That's exactly what happened with fingerprint evidence.

At least if someone is wrongfully convicted and is incarcerated you can go some way to addressing the miscarriage of justice, if you've executed them what do you do, say sorry?

Just now, aaid said:

Who is to say that scientific advances in DNA over the next years might not call into question convictions made on the basis of today's DNA analysis.   That's exactly what happened with fingerprint evidence.

At least if someone is wrongfully convicted and is incarcerated you can go some way to addressing the miscarriage of justice, if you've executed them what do you do, say sorry?

That is supposition on your behalf there. At present DNA is infallible if samples can be extracted and no doubt the system will be refined to be able to extract DNA even better in the future.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is supposition on your behalf there. At present DNA is infallible if samples can be extracted and no doubt the system will be refined to be able to extract DNA even better in the future.

Really, a quick google on the infallibility of DNA in criminal cases certainly seems to suggest there are plenty of actual and potential miscarriages of justice due to the use of DNA evidence.  To be fair - and this is same with fingerprints - its not so much about the science itself, its the processing and interpretation of results that's the issue.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Really, a quick google on the infallibility of DNA in criminal cases certainly seems to suggest there are plenty of actual and potential miscarriages of justice due to the use of DNA evidence.  To be fair - and this is same with fingerprints - its not so much about the science itself, its the processing and interpretation of results that's the issue.

Potential? So not definite then? DNA is something that is unique to each individual on this planet and is left in sperm, blood, hair samples and is unique to that person. It identifies that person as being at scene of a crime without any doubt. Sure that does not mean guilt but there's a simple way to this. DNA proves it ie their sperm in woman's body or victim's blood on suspects clothes along with other evidence then death penalty. If there is deemed enough doubt but still found guilty then life imprisonment.

Anyway will leave it there as we aren't going to agree on this. In any case the death penalty is not going to be brought back so you can relax.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Potential? So not definite then? DNA is something that is unique to each individual on this planet and is left in sperm, blood, hair samples and is unique to that person. It identifies that person as being at scene of a crime without any doubt. Sure that does not mean guilt but there's a simple way to this. DNA proves it ie their sperm in woman's body or victim's blood on suspects clothes along with other evidence then death penalty. If there is deemed enough doubt but still found guilty then life imprisonment.

Anyway will leave it there as we aren't going to agree on this. In any case the death penalty is not going to be brought back so you can relax.

I said "actual and potential". Actual cases where people have been convicted on the basis of DNA evidence and then cleared.  Potential cases which are going through the appeals process and which may or may not be overturned.  

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Jack the Ripper

As an aside we will probably never know for sure who the Whitechapel murderer was

However

Many moons ago i was a half hearted ripperologist and studied the usual shite that is out there

Imagine my surprise that in the last 5-10 years a completely unthought of suspect looks almost certain to have been the ripper

The only alibi that is given is that being a serial killer he wouldnt stop and Charles Lechmere lived to a wealthy old age

However look it up for yourself

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

As an aside we will probably never know for sure who the Whitechapel murderer was

However

Many moons ago i was a half hearted ripperologist and studied the usual shite that is out there

Imagine my surprise that in the last 5-10 years a completely unthought of suspect looks almost certain to have been the ripper

The only alibi that is given is that being a serial killer he wouldnt stop and Charles Lechmere lived to a wealthy old age

I meant The Yorkshire Ripper not Jack the Ripper. Sorry about that.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

However

Lots of interesting theories on who was Jack the Ripper. As you say it is highly unlikely we'll ever find out now. There's a good docu on BBC I-Player about the Ripper cases.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lots of interesting theories on who was Jack the Ripper. As you say it is highly unlikely we'll ever find out now. There's a good docu on BBC I-Player about the Ripper cases.

Yeah but most of them including that one never mention Lechmere (Cross) at all 

He was the guy that supposedly stumbled on the body of Mary Nichols

https://www.jack-the-ripper.org/charles-cross.htm

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yeah but most of them including that one never mention Lechmere (Cross) at all 

He was the guy that supposedly stumbled on the body of Mary Nichols

https://www.jack-the-ripper.org/charles-cross.htm

The thing is though why did the murders stop so soon? Serial murderers need to satisfy that sadistic urge to kill. Also on that docu two eye witnesses report seeing a man aged around 30 (both independently) of fair complexion and moustache with two of the victims shortly before they were murdered. Lechmere would have been 40 at that time. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing is though why did the murders stop so soon? Serial murderers need to satisfy that sadistic urge to kill. Also on that docu two eye witnesses report seeing a man aged around 30 (both independently) of fair complexion and moustache with two of the victims shortly before they were murdered. Lechmere would have been 40 at that time. 

There are instances where they stop - The BTK killer being the most recent

The coroner at the Mary Nichols inquest stated that it was almost impossible that nobody spotted the murderer leaving Buck's Row from either exit at the time of the murder

270px-Bucks-Row.jpg

There was a documentary on C5 - it is available on Youtube

Without wishing to completely derail the thread, I saw a TV program recently where they looked at the Ripper murders and applied modern policing techniques, essentially looking at the behavioural patterns of serial killers, where they kill, connections between each killing and then applying computer models to work out where likely suspects might live.

They came up with this guy as their likely suspect, interestingly he was committed to an asylum around the time the killings stopped.  

No idea if it's true but it was an interesting program.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Kosminski

On 4/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, aaid said:

and FBI hair studies as well. In fact the FBI labs are in turmoil atm cause of all the bullshit they were doing that they thought was science but isn't.

We are about to witness Treeza's end-game. She needs to suck in the dim-witted Corby and thus  apportion blame on Labour when the whole charade dissolves. 

Suspect the Labour front bench are so exited about playing big peoples games that they do not see they are bing played for mugs.

Her sole goal now is to save some legacy for herself and try to stop her parties demise. I think she is conceited enough to believe she can.  I hope not.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

He could be the next PM?

Not on the strength of a protest vote. The European Elections has always been an area where people tend to throw-in their protest vote and this is it. UKIP were always more popular in European Elections too than they were in General Elections. I'll confidently say the same will apply here.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not on the strength of a protest vote. The European Elections has always been an area where people tend to throw-in their protest vote and this is it. UKIP were always more popular in European Elections too than they were in General Elections. I'll confidently say the same will apply here.

Plenty folk said that Macron and Trump would never be presidents. They were wrong. I can envisage circumstances where it could be entirely possibly for Farage to be next PM.

Linky

Can't see the Tories being in a hurry to call an election if this is near the mark...

- 9th May

Lab : 27%

BRX : 20%

Con : 19%

LDem : 14%

CHUK : 7%

Grn : 5%

UKIP : 3%

Flavible FPTP Projection

Lab : 330 (+68)

Con : 112 (-206)

LDem : 79 (+67)

SNP : 53 (+18)

BRX : 51 (+51)

PC : 4 (=)

Grn : 2 (+1)

Ind : 1 (+1)

Changes with GE2017

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Linky

Can't see the Tories being in a hurry to call an election if this is near the mark...

- 9th May

Lab : 27%

BRX : 20%

Con : 19%

LDem : 14%

CHUK : 7%

Grn : 5%

UKIP : 3%

Flavible FPTP Projection

Lab : 330 (+68)

Con : 112 (-206)

LDem : 79 (+67)

SNP : 53 (+18)

BRX : 51 (+51)

PC : 4 (=)

Grn : 2 (+1)

Ind : 1 (+1)

Changes with GE2017

No I don't buy into the FPTP Projection in a GE.

A poll out a few weeks ago was a lot nearer the mark. It had Labour on about 280 seats, Conservatives on 260, SNP on 51 followed by the Lib Dems and the lesser parties. Brexit Party has no policies beyond Brexit and voters will recognize that when it comes to a GE. In short Brexit Party is fine as a protest vote in European Elections where they probably won't even get to sit in office but when it comes to the serious stuff such as General Elections they won't get a look in.