Scotland squad: - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad:

kmcca5

7 hours ago, andyD said:

How on earth anyone things Wallace should be in a starting lineup is beyond me.

If we were to play 343 I'd go with:

Gordon
Martin - Berra - Tierney
Cairney - Brown - Armstrong - Robertson
Burke - Rhodes - Fraser

I think Brown and Armstrong have a decent chance of starting as the central pair against Slovenia.
Fletcher's the main one playing regularly at club level. While McArthur's make appearances, they've been off the bench for Palace lately. Morrison plays, but is in and out of the West Brom starting lineup. So if it's not Brown & Armstrong, it'll likely be Brown and Fletcher. Personally, I think Fletcher's done and has been for a while. I'd harp on about Kevin McDonald again, but no one's listening by this point. ;)

Would slide n dice my left 'nad to see us play that formation and line up.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Scotland squad: Gordon (Celtic), Marshall (Hull), McGregor (Cardiff on loan from Hull; Berra (Ipswich), Mulgrew (Blackburn) Hanley (Newcastle), R Martin (Norwich), Wallace (Rangers); Tierney (Celtic), Robertson (Hull); Anya (Derby), Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Brown (Celtic), Armstrong (Celtic), Burke (Leipzig), D Fletcher (West Brom), Forrest (Celtic), Cairney (Fulham), Fraser (Bournemouth), McArthur (Crystal Palace), McGinn (Hibernian), Morrison (West Brom), Phillips (West Brom) Ritchie (Newcastle); Snodgrass (West Ham); S Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Griffiths (Celtic), Naismith (Norwich), C Martin (Fulham on loan from Derby) Jordan Rhodes (Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Middlesbrough).

Compare that with the guys who played against Canada in October 2002

Paul Gallacher (Dundee United), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Steven Pressley (Heart of Midlothian), Christian Dailly [c] (West Ham United), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Graham Alexander (Preston North End), Stevie Crawford (Dunfermline Athletic), Steve Thompson (Dundee United), Scot Gemmill (Everton), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City)

Subs:

Callum Davidson (Leicester City) for Ross (HT), Scott Severin (Heart of Midlothian) for Gemmill (65), Ian Murray (Hibernian) for Wilkie (75), James McFadden (Motherwell) for Thompson (80), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Crawford (90)

What do we think, has there really been that much of an improvement in the quality of the players?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Paul Gallacher (Dundee United), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Steven Pressley (Heart of Midlothian), Christian Dailly [c] (West Ham United), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Graham Alexander (Preston North End), Stevie Crawford (Dunfermline Athletic), Steve Thompson (Dundee United), Scot Gemmill (Everton), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City)

Subs:

Callum Davidson (Leicester City) for Ross (HT), Scott Severin (Heart of Midlothian) for Gemmill (65), Ian Murray (Hibernian) for Wilkie (75), James McFadden (Motherwell) for Thompson (80), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Crawford (90)

What do we think, has there really been that much of an improvement in the quality of the players?

Yes! Massive improvement from that (but then, that's a reserve team)

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Subs:

Of that squad I'd say only Pressley, Dailly, Alexander and Faddy would be an improvement on our current selections.

There's no problem playing a left footer on the right wing, why can't we do same at right back, just when they get taken down the outside I suppose. You wanna see both Robertson and Tierney play really as they both have great potential, but Lee Wallace was excellent against England and for large part of that game gave a defensive confidence ive never felt with Robertson. We could play all 3 with Wallace as left sided centre half, he has the stature and we are so bereft of centre halves he might be worth a shout.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Subs:

was at the game

and that is the worst Scotland squad of all time

so yes, our squad now is better

and we also won that game so Strachan is even worse than vogts - categorical

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Subs:

At first glance that looks like a painfully weak squad. 9 non-OF Scottish players and the one OF player was utter pump. The English based lads, Dailly aside, were hardly much better. Laughable to think how much stick Dailly took now.

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Subs:

Goes to show how bad a pool Berti had to pick from, although there are some good players not in that squad.

5 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

Lee Wallace got ripped a new hole at Wembley. I'm mind blown that some people actually think he played well.

Snap. I can only assume the poster was wearing Rangers tinted glasses that night. 

21 minutes ago, Mox said:

I also thought Forrest gave Wallace a bit of a torrid time on Sunday. Never the less, we have got to find a formation that allows both Tierney and Robertson to play, it's as simple as that.

I'm not sure we do.

If you wanted to include them both, the obvious answer would be to move one up to left midfield.  The question then would be, is Robertson or Tierney a better left-midfield option than the likes of Fraser or Ritchie (or Burke, Phillips, Forrest, Snodgrass) who is likely to play there.  I don't think you could justify playing a left-back ahead of all 6 of those options.

The other option is to play one of them at right-back.  As far as I can remember, neither have played at right-back for their clubs.  The argument you could make is that we've used right-backs, Whittaker and Alexander, at left-back in the past when we've not had many other options so it should be able to work both ways but I think both Robertson and particularly Tierney are a bit less experienced (if not more talented) and it would be a big risk in a must-win qualifier - not that I think either would let us down.

I don't think it is vital to shoehorn both of them into the team.  

Having said all that, it would be much easier had Bardsley been picked ahead of Wallace. 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm not sure we do.

If you wanted to include them both, the obvious answer would be to move one up to left midfield.  The question then would be, is Robertson or Tierney a better left-midfield option than the likes of Fraser or Ritchie (or Burke, Phillips, Forrest, Snodgrass) who is likely to play there.  I don't think you could justify playing a left-back ahead of all 6 of those options.

The other option is to play one of them at right-back.  As far as I can remember, neither have played at right-back for their clubs.  The argument you could make is that we've used right-backs, Whittaker and Alexander, at left-back in the past when we've not had many other options so it should be able to work both ways but I think both Robertson and particularly Tierney are a bit less experienced (if not more talented) and it would be a big risk in a must-win qualifier - not that I think either would let us down.

I don't think it is vital to shoehorn both of them into the team.  

Having said all that, it would be much easier had Bardsley been picked ahead of Wallace. 

Pretty much this.

7 hours ago, Mox said:

I also thought Forrest gave Wallace a bit of a torrid time on Sunday. Never the less, we have got to find a formation that allows both Tierney and Robertson to play, it's as simple as that.

I didn't see that, can't remember Forrest getting the better of him, in fact Forrest was substituted after an hour for being so ineffective.

I disagree with the other bit, not a fan of putting square pegs into round holes, we should pick one left back and build a hard to beat side that is organized and full of players who do their own job competently.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

12 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Maybe the poster saw Wallace create our 2 best chances that night and play pretty well in my opinion.

obviously you'll disagree but it's very predictable that you would.

Wallace was honking against England. 

10 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Nah, Wallace was one of the better performers on the night.

Thats not saying much though,

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Maybe the poster saw Wallace create our 2 best chances that night and play pretty well in my opinion.

obviously you'll disagree but it's very predictable that you would.

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

Wallace was honking against England. 

Indeed. He got a roasting. Clearly being caught out of position time and again and allowing crosses to come in to our box is good play according to some folk. 

On 14/03/2017 at 6:38 PM, Mox said:

Forrest was shite as always on Sunday, barley did a thing

On 14/03/2017 at 6:38 PM, Mox said:

Agree with Kirk that he was shit on Sunday- but you are correct that the goal here is a formation with both Tierney and Robertson playing together.

10 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Agree with Kirk that he was shit on Sunday- but you are correct that the goal here is a formation with both Tierney and Robertson playing together.

Yep I've said, along with others, that pushing one up the wing would be ideal. Probably Robertson further forward for me as I think Tierney is a better defender