This Weekends Games - Page 53 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

6 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I definitely would this season, and that was the general concensus on our bus a couple of weeks ago.

There have been a few fun European games over the last few years, and in winning in Groningen and Rijeka the club had arguably the best European results of any Scottish club in that time.

But for me it's not worth the hassle of seeing important players such as McGinn, Rooney etc being knackered by November.

People are fooled by the concept of European football. It used to be a bonus and a reward, but now for the vast majority of teams it's a curse and a hinderance. European football is set up to benefit around a dozen super rich clubs, with a few crumbs being thrown to perennial losers like Celtic.

The other clubs can all GTF as far as UEFA and the dozen big clubs are concerned. They only get in the way.

So no, I'd gladly settle for a longer summer next season which would give both players and fans a break.

P.S. I don't disagree with you about McInnes by the way.

But if we don't strive to finish higher up the league, beating our rivals, then what's the point? 

I can accept your point about the European aspect of it and i'm not that fussed about another futile attempt at a journey where our chance for the ultimate success of getting to the group stages is virtually nil. 

There's no way that Aberdeen fans will "quite happily" finish below Rangers and Hearts though. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Rossy said:

You're probably right about that... :ok:

I do see where you are coming from, but I also think its an excuse.  I agree with Parklifes argument that the manager has had the chance to use the squad, which would have helped.

Using the squad you can also prioritise your goals.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

But if we don't strive to finish higher up the league, beating our rivals, then what's the point? 

I can accept your point about the European aspect of it and i'm not that fussed about another futile attempt at a journey where our chance for the ultimate success of getting to the group stages is virtually nil. 

There's no way that Aberdeen fans will "quite happily" finish below Rangers and Hearts though. 

No, of course, you're right. Every club wants to finish as high as they can.

I suppose I'm concentrating on the European aspect of things. I'm not sure how much longer Scottish football can go on tolerating a bizarre schedule that means that players, clubs, managers and fans are getting no proper break from the rigours of a previous season which lasted 11 months.

With every season the evidence pointing towards summer football becomes stronger.

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I do see where you are coming from, but I also think its an excuse.  I agree with Parklifes argument that the manager has had the chance to use the squad, which would have helped.

Using the squad you can also prioritise your goals.

It's not an excuse, I can promise you that. I don't know what I'm supposed to be making an excuse for....the fact that we've lost of couple of games recently and we're only 3rd instead of 2nd ? ^?^

I've been very consistent from the beginning of the season in saying that European football is a curse, and that frankly it would do everyone at the club good to miss out come next May. If you don't want to believe me, fair enough.

But I'll continue to stress that point, no matter where we finish in the league.

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

With every season the evidence pointing towards summer football becomes stronger.

The only real argument I can come up with against summer football, other than tradition, is that it may make it more difficult to bring in players, but by that I probably mean free agents from the conference, so not sure it's a massive hurdle to overcome.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Rossy said:

It's not an excuse, I can promise you that. I don't know what I'm supposed to be making an excuse for....the fact that we've lost of couple of games recently and we're only 3rd instead of 2nd ? ^?^

I've been very consistent from the beginning of the season in saying that European football is a curse, and that frankly it would do everyone at the club good to miss out come next May. If you don't want to believe me, fair enough.

But I'll continue to stress that point, no matter where we finish in the league.

I do see where you are coming from.

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I suppose I'm concentrating on the European aspect of things. I'm not sure how much longer Scottish football can go on tolerating a bizarre schedule that means that players, clubs, managers and fans are getting no proper break from the rigours of a previous season which lasted 11 months.

Totally agree. I've long been an advocate of a season starting in March and ending with the "festive fixtures" that most of us enjoy and for which clubs get big attendances.  

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Parklife said:

Totally agree. I've long been an advocate of a season starting in March and ending with the "festive fixtures" that most of us enjoy and for which clubs get big attendances.  

Be difficult scenario for when Rangers qualify for the 2nd round of champions league which will be in Feb.

Or should we not worry about that? ;)

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I'm not holding my breath for a big attendance at Motherwell festive fixtures.

:lol:

(Aberdeen at home Friday night, ICT away on Wednesday night, Hamilton away Hogmanay, moved to 1pm)

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'm not holding my breath for a big attendance at Motherwell festive fixtures.

(Aberdeen at home Friday night, ICT away on Wednesday night, Hamilton away Hogmanay, moved to 1pm)

A home fixture where you get provided with the Red pound. Sounds not too bad ;) 

6 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Be difficult scenario for when Rangers qualify for the 2nd round of champions league which will be in Feb.

Or should we not worry about that? ;)

I think if that happens then we should all be more worried with your club's finances again, rather than the structure of the season :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A home fixture where you get provided with the Red pound. Sounds not too bad ;) 

Aye, hopefully you fill our coffers.

Although we might wait until you're all in Motherwell then flood the pitch.

:P

Probably better than Christmas Eve for anybody travelling from Aberdeen.

48 minutes ago, Rossy said:

All the usual idiots playing the man rather than the ball. No surprise there though.

Try and take your heads out of your arses and actually read what I said.

The only one who came close to understanding is The Steelman, who recognises the utter futility of constantly finishing a season in the middle of May and beginning one again around a month later.

Oh, there he is calling folk idiots again. Usual Rossy - your opinion is the be all and end all eh?

Spout sh1te and expect to get pulled up about it. After all, you are quick enough to snipe at others.

By all means use Europe as pre season this season instead of starting pre season mid June but to saying you'd rather finish 4th got the response it deserved. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If getting pumped in Europe is so knackering it does not seem to have affected Celtic. Bit surprised to see they have 46 of possible 48 points so far...

Their games are a lot closer now than they were at the start of the season and some of the Celtic fans on here are saying that they are struggling in the second half so it does look as though it may be effecting them as well, but they still have the quality and squad to keep winning games.

Edited by theweestevie

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If getting pumped in Europe is so knackering it does not seem to have affected Celtic. Bit surprised to see they have 46 of possible 48 points so far...

It's almost as if Celtic have more money to buy a larger squad of higher quality players, which would enable them to cope with such demands.... ^?^

3 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

As an aside we are only one spot away from the Scottish cup winners also playing in the first round of the europa league :rolleyes:

Delighted.

We'll get to finish 4th in the league AND get to visit Moldova in early June ?

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aberdeen U20s must be tired, currently getting scudded 9-1 off Motherwell at home. 

Outstanding performance by all accounts from the Youth Cup holders.  Motherwell U20's are brilliant to watch and there is some serious talent in the squad.  TBH, I was beginning to prefer u20's matches to the first team...