Should Strachan be given another campaign? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should Strachan be given another campaign?

clarky1606

Guest allyc
5 hours ago, Geed said:

Spot on.

Totally behind Strachan 100% best man for the job, was very unlucky in last campaign had a very tough group and to take 4 points of Ireland and 2 draws (1 which we would have won if the atmosphere in stadium didn't fall flat after heard Ireland beating Germany)  We were just unlucky Ireland got 4 points against Germany and Poland got 3 points.  If we had beaten Georgia we would have been there.  Only fault I give him was that game, got team line up wrong but he admitted that afterwards.  He has improved us greatly from the dross we had before he came.

Keep telling yourself we were unlucky..

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mcleash didn't ditch us - he left at the end of a campaign.    it was Smithy hunny bunny boy that left in the middle. 

Mcleash thought,  well am not gonna hang around for 10 fkin months while i wait for september 2008 to come roond am I ya kwunt

On May 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Orraloon said:

We could do a lot worse than Tommy Wright. He seems to be very good at getting the best out of very average players. 

We are obviously going to start this campaign with Strachan but we should be thinking about a replacement and get rid of him as soon as we are out of contention - which will probably be November. 

Mitts aff. We've already given Scotland two managers before. Brown and Ormond.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:59 AM, COLT NY said:

I'm still fully behind Strachan and optimistic of our chances in the WC group...

Despite the end result, we played more entertaining football in the last campaign than we've played in about 20 years, and every game was touch and go until the final whistle. We were up against 3 good teams, and were unlucky that almost every result between those teams went against us. Who would have thought that Germany would only get 4 points off them? 

The Georgia game was obviously the big failing, but I wouldn't consider sacking him over one shocking result. It's unreal how short people's memories are. Under Levein we were close to going into the 5th group of teams in the Euro rankings and were getting pushed aside by average teams without barely registering a shot on goal in some games. We were the first European country knocked out of the last World Cup, and it was only after Strachan got a few results in the pool that we rose above the likes of Wales and Macedonia.

We didn't qualify from the hardest group in the Euros, but we've still come a long way from the Levein days. Strachan's consistently improved our ranking and with that will come easier groups in the future.

Couldn't agree more. 

Strong performances throughout the campaign, with Georgia and Ireland away being exceptions. 

Overall, 4 points from Ireland, unlucky not to take 4pts from Poland and pushed the World Champions all the way in both matches. It was a tough group and one bad result cost us a play-off spot. 

Since then, we have played two friendlies against teams similar to those we need to beat in the WC qualifiers. And won them both. 

Having come so close in the EuroQ, it's a bit daft to say 'we need to change the manager and bring in a completely new team!!!'. We do need to improve to qualify, but not nearly as much as some people on here think. 

13 hours ago, bonny78 said:

he left in November and his next qualifer would be september.    He would have stayed if we were going to euro08

You know the script when you become an international manager. When there's a championship on that's your season. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Strong performances throughout the campaign, with Georgia and Ireland away being exceptions. 

Overall, 4 points from Ireland, unlucky not to take 4pts from Poland and pushed the World Champions all the way in both matches. It was a tough group and one bad result cost us a play-off spot. 

Since then, we have played two friendlies against teams similar to those we need to beat in the WC qualifiers. And won them both. 

Having come so close in the EuroQ, it's a bit daft to say 'we need to change the manager and bring in a completely new team!!!'. We do need to improve to qualify, but not nearly as much as some people on here think. 

You've re-written history and completely left out the matches where we rode our luck which proves we are not unlucky.

we were lucky to come away with a point in Ireland, we should be looking to beat our rivals not draw with them. We didn't push the world champs at hampden, it looked like a training match for Germany despite the score line. 

Id say the only improvement is ball retention but as usual we lack where it matters...........upfront. We simply do not score goals, of course it doesn't help when every manger believes in a system without a regular goal scorer therefore leaving anyone who scores out. 

Scotland 2 Germany 3

Looks not too bad as a headline, in reality they could have humped us with ease, they were in second gear, had they needed to score again, they could have, with ease. 

Edited by kumnio

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

You've re-written history and completely left out the matches where we rode our luck which proves we are not unlucky.

we were lucky to come away with a point in Ireland, we should be looking to beat our rivals not draw with them. We didn't push the world champs at hampden, it looked like a training match for Germany despite the score line. 

Id say the only improvement is ball retention but as usual we lack where it matters...........upfront. We simply do not score goals, of course it doesn't help when every manger believes in a system without a regular goal scorer therefore leaving anyone who scores out. 

I don't think my post was trying to argue that we were unlucky? Re-written history and missed out matches where we rode our luck? I explicitly called out Ireland away as a poor performance, so I don't know what you're talking about.  I disagree with your assessment of our matches vs Germany, I think we competed over the two legs. 

Honestly, the only match I can remember where we haven't managed a goal was Georgia away.

As I said, we need to improve and strengthen the squad going into the next campaign. But I think it's a bit hysterical to be calling for the manager's head and wholesale changes to the team. 

5 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I don't think my post was trying to argue that we were unlucky? Re-written history and missed out matches where we rode our luck? I explicitly called out Ireland away as a poor performance, so I don't know what you're talking about.  I disagree with your assessment of our matches vs Germany, I think we competed over the two legs. 

Honestly, the only match I can remember where we haven't managed a goal was Georgia away.

As I said, we need to improve and strengthen the squad going into the next campaign. But I think it's a bit hysterical to be calling for the manager's head and wholesale changes to the team. 

its not hysterical to call for a manager who failed and failed badly. We finished fourth in a competition where they've increased how many teams can qualify. He insists on the same tired old players and system which has failed us already.

We barely touched the ball against Germany at home so we must have different definitions of the word compete.

i hope I'm wrong and I'll happily eat my words if I am but I don't see Strachan leading us anywhere near the World Cup. 

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

its not hysterical to call for a manager who failed and failed badly. We finished fourth in a competition where they've increased how many teams can qualify. He insists on the same tired old players and system which has failed us already.

We barely touched the ball against Germany at home so we must have different definitions of the word compete.

i hope I'm wrong and I'll happily eat my words if I am but I don't see Strachan leading us anywhere near the World Cup. 

I dont understand the line folk keep saying about sticking with the same players, we've played two games since then and both times a number of lads have made their debuts or returned after a few years in the wilderness and no doubt a few more will play in the games coming up.

As for a system what do folk want to see him play? 3-5-2 (a formation I'd love to see us play as middle to front we have the players just dont have the centre halfs) 4-4-2 (we'd get ripped to bits) or go back to the old 4-5-1 that levein got rightly slaughterd for.

I think he should stay, and a big reason being that there is nobody suitable imo to replace him.

Last campaign was bitterly disappointing overall.

Germany away, great effort and unlucky not to get a point. At home, I don't read the score as it looks like a close match, it wasn't. 

Ireland at home, lucky with the home win and the away game, well, that was just all wrong despite the point. That should have been 2 points lost. Sat back when we should have attacked. 

Poland, both games were spirited performances. Decent overall.

Georgia away was the disaster result for us but he did admit after the match. 

Gibraltar, no disrespect to them, but they should have been games where we played the youth progressing in the squad and still got the points comfortably. 

I know we sometimes think above ourselves ( if we're honest, we do ) , but we should have qualified, minimum a play off spot.

He has to get rid of the ageing players and bleed the youth we have. 

Its my opinion, others will differ but it is a board of discussion. :ok: 

On 14/05/2016 at 1:29 PM, kumnio said:

Scotland 2 Germany 3

Looks not too bad as a headline, in reality they could have humped us with ease, they were in second gear, had they needed to score again, they could have, with ease. 

That was my recollection too.  If, for some reason, they had needed to score ten goals that night they probably would have.

Poland outclassed us for most of the first half at Hampden too.

20 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Unfortunately, I agree.  I can't see us finishing much higher than fourth in the group.  

I'm still not convinced that changing the manager will yield better results though.  At the moment I'm pinning my hopes on something 'clicking' and the team going on a good run, but the sad fact of the matter is we just don't have enough players capable of competing at international level.

18 hours ago, scotlad said:

That was my recollection too.  If, for some reason, they had needed to score ten goals that night they probably would have.

Poland outclassed us for most of the first half at Hampden too.

Unfortunately, I agree.  I can't see us finishing much higher than fourth in the group.  

I'm still not convinced that changing the manager will yield better results though.  At the moment I'm pinning my hopes on something 'clicking' and the team going on a good run, but the sad fact of the matter is we just don't have enough players capable of competing at international level.

Think the 'clicking' thing is an interesting comment  and agree there, that and a kind draw goes a long way. We clicked in 2006, on paper we should never have done as well in that group as we did. Clicking and a kind draw is what happened to Northern Ireland this time, just clicked got a great start and got very lucky that their top seeded team completely and utterly imploded.

Don't necessarily agree that we don't have the players capable to competing, I think we do, we can compete (matches vs ROI and Poland prove that) what we don't have are the players or the mentality to take us that extra step that the two teams above seemed to have. I suppose part of me is hoping that what happened in the later stages of the last campaign maybe helps drive us one this time.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:12 AM, allyc said:

Keep telling yourself we were unlucky..

Keep telling yourself that there's a team of players waiting on the wings and a different system of play that will make us look like Barcelona... 

Guest allyc

Perpetual Scottish mentality that we gave at a go and we're abit unlucky.we weren't unlucky.we had as much luck as anyone in the group that qualified.it just comes down to not being good enough.which we have had to learn over the course of last qualifying campaigns.we lack something and have done for years.

Guest allyc
33 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Keep telling yourself that there's a team of players waiting on the wings and a different system of play that will make us look like Barcelona... 

And not sure what u are on about....

We laboured to home wins against Ireland and a very poor Georgia side by a single goal.  We played well in Germany but ultimately lost (no shame there) however despite the close scoreline in the game at Hampden they could have moved up about 2-3 gears any time they wanted to.  We twice squandered winning positions against Poland and had the ignominy of allowing Gibraltar to score their first ever goal against us.  Then there was Georgia.  3 teams qualified from our 6 team group and we weren't one of them.  How anyone can view that campaign as anything other than an abject failure is beyond me.