Should Strachan be given another campaign? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should Strachan be given another campaign?

clarky1606

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's a good post, although our team is also ageing. 

I'd stick with Strachan for the sake of continuity if nothing else.  I'm not convinced another manager would get much more out of the set of players we have at the moment.

I concur.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do a lot worse than Tommy Wright. He seems to be very good at getting the best out of very average players. 

We are obviously going to start this campaign with Strachan but we should be thinking about a replacement and get rid of him as soon as we are out of contention - which will probably be November. 

Guest allyc

I don't think he actually should.he blew the best chance in years to take us to a tournament finals .too many old donkeys involved now that should be binned.same shitty system.has become very arrogant despite his failings..

Edited by allyc

No.

The way the SFA let him decide if he wanted to stay was ridiculous, Strachan failed in the last campaign, he achieved 4th, a position that anyone would have got, he picks his pals for squads, he is a twat in interviews. He should be gone.

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

And ditching us.

Would you or the majority of us, want him back ever ?

I wouldn't.

He was out of contract and was offered a 7 figure sum to go down south.

I'd think the majority would take him back.

Well I do think so.

Who would you want then? and who would others want.? I'm all for backing Strachan just now but those calling for his head have yet to provide a viable alternative, Mcleish has been the only one put forward

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Well I do think so.

Who would you want then? and who would others want.? I'm all for backing Strachan just now but those calling for his head have yet to provide a viable alternative, Mcleish has been the only one put forward

I'm still for Strachan and like you, would ask the question - who's the alternative ?

It certainly would not be McLeish again (ever).

53 minutes ago, fringo said:

And ditching us.

Would you or the majority of us, want him back ever ?

I wouldn't.

I think you are getting mixed up with Uncle Walter. McLiesh fulfilled his contract and gave us the best run of results since  ........ eh........... maybe ever. What was wrong with the way he left the job? 

I'm still fully behind Strachan and optimistic of our chances in the WC group...

Despite the end result, we played more entertaining football in the last campaign than we've played in about 20 years, and every game was touch and go until the final whistle. We were up against 3 good teams, and were unlucky that almost every result between those teams went against us. Who would have thought that Germany would only get 4 points off them? 

The Georgia game was obviously the big failing, but I wouldn't consider sacking him over one shocking result. It's unreal how short people's memories are. Under Levein we were close to going into the 5th group of teams in the Euro rankings and were getting pushed aside by average teams without barely registering a shot on goal in some games. We were the first European country knocked out of the last World Cup, and it was only after Strachan got a few results in the pool that we rose above the likes of Wales and Macedonia.

We didn't qualify from the hardest group in the Euros, but we've still come a long way from the Levein days. Strachan's consistently improved our ranking and with that will come easier groups in the future.

5 hours ago, COLT NY said:

I'm still fully behind Strachan and optimistic of our chances in the WC group...

Despite the end result, we played more entertaining football in the last campaign than we've played in about 20 years, and every game was touch and go until the final whistle. We were up against 3 good teams, and were unlucky that almost every result between those teams went against us. Who would have thought that Germany would only get 4 points off them? 

The Georgia game was obviously the big failing, but I wouldn't consider sacking him over one shocking result. It's unreal how short people's memories are. Under Levein we were close to going into the 5th group of teams in the Euro rankings and were getting pushed aside by average teams without barely registering a shot on goal in some games. We were the first European country knocked out of the last World Cup, and it was only after Strachan got a few results in the pool that we rose above the likes of Wales and Macedonia.

We didn't qualify from the hardest group in the Euros, but we've still come a long way from the Levein days. Strachan's consistently improved our ranking and with that will come easier groups in the future.

Spot on.

Totally behind Strachan 100% best man for the job, was very unlucky in last campaign had a very tough group and to take 4 points of Ireland and 2 draws (1 which we would have won if the atmosphere in stadium didn't fall flat after heard Ireland beating Germany)  We were just unlucky Ireland got 4 points against Germany and Poland got 3 points.  If we had beaten Georgia we would have been there.  Only fault I give him was that game, got team line up wrong but he admitted that afterwards.  He has improved us greatly from the dross we had before he came.

I think he has shown enough that ,bar a few mistakes, on the whole he does kind of know what he is doing so I think he deserves another campaign to try again at least.  We are playing better football under him just a soft centre, the Everton of International football :( .  International football is different so I'm not a fan of sacking/replacing every 2 years, i've always thought it's a 4 year cycle job which is enough time to learn and demonstrate how good one is.  If he were to be replaced i'd want a experienced foreigner who has managed an International team before.

i did want Levein out has he demonstrated nothing to show he had a clue what he was up to...,

8 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Being not quite as bad as Levein is hardly a ringing endorsement, nor a reason to keep him.

We kept Burley for too long, we kept Levein for too long, and we are doing the same with Strachan.

Guest allyc
11 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Keep telling yourself we were just unlucky...