Voting - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

It doesn't overly bother me what the press says, or what Unionists say. But I do bother about what those who are supposed to be on the same side as me say. And what the media and unionists say did have people flocking to the SNP - the 2011, the referendum and General Election confirm that!

I've not changed any political opinions because of what I've read on the internet. My political opinions are actually pretty static over the longer term and truth be told, Im probably more naturally aligned with the Greens but have been a long term SNP member in order to offer support to the best vehicle toward independence. It's got to the point that while the SNP still remain that best hope of independence, I have concerns about whether they can deliver it alone (especially given some of the regular idiotic commentary I now from SNP supporters) and the time is right to offer support that helps diversify the independence movement.

And to be short, I have no problem changing my political support for any party on a whim. Im not supporting any political party like a fitba team.

And that's what you've got to keep in mind.

A vote for any other party, including the greens, is a message to the unionist press that you want to maintain the union.

Just look at all the headlines/comments etc. for proof of that.

Edited by antidote

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, antidote said:

Oaf! Again with the threats of not backing the SNP.

Do it already for Gods sake.

Actually, I have done it already. SNP didnt get my list vote on Thursday. And behaviour of a number of members within SNP since is persuading me to join another party. Unsurprising some are keen to ignore the problems and push supporters/members further away. ;)

9 minutes ago, antidote said:

A vote for any other party, including the greens, is a message to the unionist press that you want to maintain the union.

I disagree. I dont care much for what the media tell me, but IMO, the Greens are making far more encouraging noises about independence than the SNP. I have no doubt the SNP will continue to be the main vehicle for independence and I will probably continue to vote for them where appropriate, but I'll be ####ed if I'm going to continue to be actively associated with an increasingly vocal and embarrassing section that's giving the party a bad name. But it's more than that, if the SNP want to retain my support, they actually need to do better politically. The 2016 manifesto was utterly lame and lacked any kind of ambition.

Im 100% behind independence, but it wont be won by aiming low or demanding that all Yes supporters must vote #bothvoteSNP and being enraged when people dont.

18 minutes ago, antidote said:

The press will twist it any way possible to suit their agenda.

The SNP got a record number of votes and constituencies but the independence cause was sunk according to some quarters...

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Wings is a c*nt. Let's be honest. He's barely managed to keep a lid on his c*ntness in the last few weeks - first refusing to retract and apologise for his opinions around Hillsborough, and then demonstrating what a bitter sore loser he is by going tonto at the Greens and others for costing the SNP a majority. He's now showing open hostility to all and sundry who aren't in the SNP and call him out on being a daily pr*ck. I'll be honest, it's him and his merry band who are pushing me close to ditching the SNP and joining the Greens. I sympathise with the SNP as to a certain extent as it's not their fault, but theres little doubt that it's many SNP supporters who fund him. Im not going to be associated with the increasingly pig-ignorant idiots who are coming to taint the SNP.

If it continues, the SNP will suffer electorally and I'd like to help support any party who can help diversify the independence movement. 

Have you actually read the article or are you just basing your response on your own predjudice?

FWIW, I think he's spot on about the radical left - for as long as I can remember they have been completely up their own arses.  A bunch of latter day Holy Willies.

I've no issue with people standing wherever they want but I don't see how a more diverse "Yes" majority makes it any more or less likely that independence will be achieved.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Yeah. Because it's not just one idiot sitting behind his computer in Bath. I cant be the only one who says dozens of absolute nuggets take their lead from Wings and unquestioningly regurgitate his bullsh*t. And if it's not Wings, they're regurgitating some other idiotic nonsense. There's an arrogance and sense of entitlement developing from some in the SNP - expecting the Greens to stand aside in Edinburgh Central for example, while also demanding the SNP get all the list votes is a case in point, and the abuse thrown the Greens' way is typical of Wings and others like him.

IMO, it's exactly these kinds of attitudes that will push people away from the SNP. Myself included.

Do you have any opinion on the article itself? Or, are you just going to ignore it because you don't like the person who wrote it? That's a wee bit blinkered, is it not?

1 hour ago, antidote said:

Oaf! Again with the threats of not backing the SNP.

Do it already for Gods sake.

Could not agree more. The endless "chase me chase me" shite is tedious in the extreme. FFS just go and vote for someone better and stop boring the arse of us with your endless whining. "If the SNP don't do this I am pure going to not vote for them so I am"... Good but get on with it and then please STFU! Arrrrgh!

1 hour ago, antidote said:

What an incredibly odd sentence.

9 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

John Scott (Tory), JoLa and Ken Macintosh going for the PO job with Murdo Fraser (The Queens' 11) deciding today if he'll make a run for it.

I quite liked Marwick, she was good at keeping Swinney in check!  Oor Johann would be the preferred out of that bunch.  She's actually become quite likeable since losing leadership.

6 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I quite liked Marwick, she was good at keeping Swinney in check!  Oor Johann would be the preferred out of that bunch.  She's actually become quite likeable since losing leadership.

Maybe to you but probably not to anyone else

A leopard never loses it's spots

Been reminded on Twitter today about the time she made a jibe regarding Mr and Mrs Salmond being childless

The woman that was deputy to Marwick should get it

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Maybe to you but probably not to anyone else

I'm with Scunnered on this one I'm afraid.  

I started following her on Twitter a while ago and she does actually come across well and has quite a dry self-deprecating sense of humour.  That went by the by a couple of months ago as the rhetoric stepped up in the election campaign to be fair, you also have to put up with the numerous other SLAB Numpties that she retweets.

i think she'd be pretty good as PO - to be fair it's not exactly a stellar cast - as I think she'd dislike every party equally. 

43 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

SNP aren't putting anyone forward.

I know - the deputy speaker Elaine Smith was from Scottish Labour.  She should get it imo

39 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Did she?  Despicable if true.  Do you have a link?

https://whitefeatherclub.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/the-dark-heart-of-johann-lamont/

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm with Scunnered on this one I'm afraid.  

I started following her on Twitter a while ago and she does actually come across well and has quite a dry self-deprecating sense of humour.  That went by the by a couple of months ago as the rhetoric stepped up in the election campaign to be fair, you also have to put up with the numerous other SLAB Numpties that she retweets.

i think she'd be pretty good as PO - to be fair it's not exactly a stellar cast - as I think she'd dislike every party equally. 

Are u sure it's not Johann Lament you are following ............................

Elaine Smith won't and shouldn't get it after she opposed equal marriage. I actually thought it was Nicola Sturgeon and Peter Murrell who were on the end of a dig about having no children. That said, I'd be willing to forgive that - Im sure many politicians have said stuff in heat of moment they wish they hadn't. Some have also suggested former leaders shouldn't be Presiding Officer.

I think Johann would actually make a good PO, although from what I've heard, she's excellent in parliament on issues of care. Would be a shame to lose that.

Ken McIntosh seems quite young to be taking it on but I say it was between him and Johann by some distance.

8 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I've read that through twice and I can't in any way, shape or form see a jibe about Salmond and his wife being childless.  Catchy headline though :lol:

Very first line

But there is one thing which the First Minister has discovered this year. Women give birth to children.