EU Referendum - Page 61 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

At least this time any Yes campaign will have a clearer idea of what battles need to be fought and whose concerns need to be addressed.  However I can't  think that fishing would be any safer in the hands of Johnson and Farage than Sturgeon.  The fishing industry was pretty much sold out by Heath when we joined the EU and at no time since has Westminster seemed to care about its demise.

I notice that the farming community....ever ready for years now to get stuck into the SNP..... has gone incredibly quiet on the back of this vote. 

I presume that they're too busy pouring over their online bank accounts wondering how they're going to fill the huge whole that used to be EU money. 

14 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I notice that the farming community....ever ready for years now to get stuck into the SNP..... has gone incredibly quiet on the back of this vote. 

I presume that they're too busy pouring over their online bank accounts wondering how they're going to fill the huge whole that used to be EU money. 

The subsidy thing makes me laugh, the Brexit argument is we decide where ALL of our money goes. 

Yea, good luck convincing some right wing fecks in Downing Street to spend sustaining small businesses in the regions.

Austerity rules!

For me on if the greatest successes and benefit of the EU was its social conscience and the development of the regions funded by the whole.

Read this yesterday from Cornwall.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

Aye, good luck guys. Your money went from funding regional development, straight into Westminsters austerity deficit reduction coffers, and you voted for it!

J

43 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Aye, the IT system is the least of their worries now...

Oooooh!  Now that I think of it!  The obstacle that the Scottish Government claimed prevented them from implementing a living wage for all public service workers and contractors has been removed!  Yaldy!  They can now be fully committed to a living wage like they have claimed.

53 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

The subsidy thing makes me laugh, the Brexit argument is we decide where ALL of our money goes. 

Yea, good luck convincing some right wing fecks in Downing Street to spend sustaining small businesses in the regions.

Austerity rules!

For me on if the greatest successes and benefit of the EU was its social conscience and the development of the regions funded by the whole.

Read this yesterday from Cornwall.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

Aye, good luck guys. Your money went from funding regional development, straight into Westminsters austerity deficit reduction coffers, and you voted for it!

J

Something similar in Ebbw Vale - hunners of EU cash, no immigrants and they vote out. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/25/view-wales-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

I love the "how many vote do we get from the fishermen" and "it doesn't bring much into the economy" questions, right off Thatcher's lips.

It's a community that thrives or dies by it's ability to fish. Anything else is a huge cultural upheaval .

The greeting 18-24 year olds are doing my tits in. We didn't vote for this blah di blah. Well young ones life isn't a series of isolated events, it's a continual line of events linked to each other, and just last year 50% of you decided not to vote in the general election and the khunts that caused this got in.

Dry your eyes on the pages of cause and effect for dummies.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

The greeting 18-24 year olds are doing my tits in. We didn't vote for this blah di blah. Well young ones life isn't a series of isolated events, it's a continual line of events linked to each other, and just last year 50% of you decided not to vote in the general election and the khunts that caused this got in.

Dry your eyes on the pages of cause and effect for dummies.

It'll pass.  Everyone hated old people after the IndyRef, then Christmas and Halloween came, they made their toffee, puddings and cookies and everything was good in the world again.

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Anybody seen George Osbourne?

Interesting watching the Sunday political telly. A lot of praise for Sturgeon filling the "UK leadership vacuum".

It's all tactics to get back at the folk who basically ousted him and Cameron.

10 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

It'll pass.  Everyone hated old people after the IndyRef, then Christmas and Halloween came, they made their toffee, puddings and cookies and everything was good in the world again.

I don't know about anyone else i'm just posting in a public place to inform youngsters their tears are annoying me. Then i'm away to some religious ceremony for a baby.

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

Oooooh!  Now that I think of it!  The obstacle that the Scottish Government claimed prevented them from implementing a living wage for all public service workers and contractors has been removed!  Yaldy!  They can now be fully committed to a living wage like they have claimed.

We haven't left the EU yet.

Two of the big reasons that I can see why we shouldn't read too much into the EU REF result, and how it might impact a future Independence REF are 

1. A fair chunk (maybe even over half) of the folk who voted to Remain will be staunch, unwavering NO voters. Probably nothing will change their minds on Independence.
  2. About 1,000,000 folk who voted in the Independence REF didn't vote in the EU REF. It would be very interesting to understand their reasons for voting in one referendum but not the other. 

25 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

What is dead may never die, but rises again stronger.

Oh feck he's going to be crowned King of the Iron Islands. The gift i got i paid the gold price, this is going to be a disaster.

Rejoining the EU is going to be a very tetchy argument particularly with the economies of Greece, Italy, Spain and France just about bust

A bit of non propaganda from Max

Do we really want to inherit the shoes of the UK's deal with the EU or would we be better negotiating as if we were new. It could be like when you get a new phone deal and get offered a better deal than existing customers get. The UK was a net contributor I think whereas we will want to have our cap out especially with us being geographically cut off from the EU / adjoined to a backward nation of foreigner hating inbreds. We are the new front line, we should get danger money for that. The EU could fund the building of the wall for a start. Plus we should put our foot down about the fishing. So a chance to negotiate afresh might be best.  Maybe let's secure the YES vote because of BREXIT and then just forget to reapply to the EU and perhaps folk will probably not care / notice. Drag it out for 7 years and after that no one will care anymore.

The only really thorny issue will be the currency. Time to grasp the nettle on this one.

I am starting to think that I might be quite happy with an Independent Scotland outside the EU. But it would be hard to argue that case whilst using the "dragged out of the EU against our will" card as the reason for having the next Independence referendum.

As I see it, there are 4 options

1. IN the UK and IN the EU.
  2. IN the UK and OUT of EU
  3. OUT of UK and IN the EU
  4. OUT of UK and OUT of EU

Probably the most popular choice would be No 1 (the current status quo) but that option is looking less likely to be possible. 

Maybe we need a multi question referendum and a Venn diagram to decide what is the most popular choice. Of course the most popular choice in a 3 or 4 option decision will probably mean that most folk will have voted against it.

The independence debate has become much more complex than it was in 2014.