EU Referendum - Page 57 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 minutes ago, Marky said:

Really? I disagree.

i genuinely don't think that being a nationalist and a Rangers fan are compatible. Not a practicing Rangers fan anyway. One that turns up to that cesspit every other week listening to the unionist and sectarian bile being spouted. 

How could your political beliefs not be conditioned by being a Rangers fan all your life. Like I say. You probably don't even realise it. 

What an utterly cretinous thing to say.

I'm a member of the SNP, I worked bloody hard in the Yes campaign and I'm a Rangers supporter. The only thing stopping me from being a ST holder is I can't afford to buy the ones I'd need for my kids too. So how does that fit your little made up picture?

17 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I know, personally, employees within the SNP who have been ST holders at Ibrox for years, so you are talking out your erse.  But will forgive you as your views are typical.  I also know many Rangers fans who vote SNP and who voted Yes. But like I said, your views are typical.

So in your experience how do these Rangers fans that you speak of reconcile their political beliefs with supporting an organisation that is institutionally unionist and sectarian. 

I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument here. I largely enjoy your contributions to this board. It's nothing personal. 

Edited by Marky

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

What an utterly cretinous thing to say.

I'm a member of the SNP, I worked bloody hard in the Yes campaign and I'm a Rangers supporter. The only thing stopping me from being a ST holder is I can't afford to buy the ones I'd need for my kids too. So how does that fit your little made up picture?

No need to be so rude RB.

Seeing as you are one of the people that BlueGaz refers to, perhaps you can answer the question I just asked him. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Marky said:

So in your experience how do these Rangers fans that you speak of reconcile there political beliefs with a supporting an organisation that is institutionally unionist and sectarian. 

I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument here. I largely enjoy your contributions to this board. It's nothing personal. 

It is personal.  You are telling me that I am not intelligent enough to ignore songs sung at a football match and also that I am not intelligent enough to separate my political views from watching a football match on a Saturday afternoon.  I would say that 50% of my football supporting friends support Rangers, and I cannot remember ever talking about anything sectarian with them, or anything to do with football on the odd occasion we have discussed politics.  You don't know me from adam, but still feel qualified to tell me why I think what I think, and also tell me that I probably don't even know I am doing it.  

8 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It is personal.  You are telling me that I am not intelligent enough to ignore songs sung at a football match and also that I am not intelligent enough to separate my political views from watching a football match on a Saturday afternoon.  I would say that 50% of my football supporting friends support Rangers, and I cannot remember ever talking about anything sectarian with them, or anything to do with football on the odd occasion we have discussed politics.  You don't know me from adam, but still feel qualified to tell me why I think what I think, and also tell me that I probably don't even know I am doing it.  

I'm sorry mate, but that's a bit of a cop out of an answer. You just ignore the bad boys that sing the nasty songs?

im sure you'll be pleased to hear it, but you're a different type of person to me. I could never pledge my support to an organisation like that.

And by the way, I never once questioned your intelligence. Like you say I don't even know you. Sure I was generalising, but generalisations are usually based on a large element of truth. 

Edited by Marky

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Marky said:

I'm sorry mate, but that's a bit of a cop out of an answer. You just ignore the bad boys that song the nasty songs?

im sure you'll be pleased to hear it, but you're a different type of person to me. I could never pledge my support to an organisation like that.

And by the way, I never once questioned your intelligence. Like you say I don't even know you. Sure I was generalising, but generalisations are usually based on a large element of truth. 

It's not a cop out.  Let me rephrase it then.  Songs sung at a football match don't bother me, regardless of where they are sung or what they are sung about.  Without wanting to sound dramatic, my previous career put me in scenarios and subjected me to abuse that have allowed me to put things into perspective, and numpties at a football match singing stupid songs is that far down my list of things that matter, I rarely think about them.  

Lets agree to disagree.

Woah, woah, woah boys!  The independence support is far too small to start turning on each other, and that's two Indy supporters been getting abused on here by other indy supporters in the past 2 days.  Keep the heed! :)

Edited by Scunnered

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It's not a cop out.  Let me rephrase it then.  Songs sung at a football match don't bother me, regardless of where they are sung or what they are sung about.  Without wanting to sound dramatic, my previous career put me in scenarios and subjected me to abuse that have allowed me to put things into perspective, and numpties at a football match singing stupid songs is that far down my list of things that matter, I rarely think about them.  

Lets agree to disagree.

Fair enough mate. And to be fair making assumptions about each other is what we do all the time on this board. After this thread you've probably made an assumption that I'm a twat:-) but I'm not really.

Although I have to say I'm still reeling from  RB calling me a cretin. Up until that point he was my favourite Rangers supporter on here. I'm no talking to him now. 

9 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Woah, woah, woah boys!  The independence support is far too small to start turning on each other, and that's two Indy supporters been getting abused on here by other indy supporters in the past 2 days.  Keep the heed! :)

Shut it you!!! :-)

56 minutes ago, Marky said:

So in your experience how do these Rangers fans that you speak of reconcile their political beliefs with supporting an organisation that is institutionally unionist and sectarian. 

Rangers is a football club. Nothing more, nothing less. If the "institution"  you speak of has religious or political opinions then that's fine, they do not speak for me.

Anyone who follows a football team because they have the same religious /political/other non- football opinions is a moron in my book.

I follow Rangers because my Dad did and he took me to the games. I imagine it's much the same for most folk on how they chose their team.

Folk who think that a football club is more than just that are part of Scotland's problems.

58 minutes ago, Marky said:

No need to be so rude RB.

Seeing as you are one of the people that BlueGaz refers to, perhaps you can answer the question I just asked him. 

Rude? You're the fool suggesting my choice of football team is dictated by my religious or political beliefs.

I'm an atheist incidentally so you're on 0% right so far.

31 minutes ago, Marky said:

Fair enough mate. And to be fair making assumptions about each other is what we do all the time on this board. After this thread you've probably made an assumption that I'm a twat:-) but I'm not really.

Although I have to say I'm still reeling from  RB calling me a cretin. Up until that point he was my favourite Rangers supporter on here. I'm no talking to him now. 

Be fair. I didn't call you a cretin. I said you'd made a cretinous statement.

They're different.

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Rude? You're the fool suggesting my choice of football team is dictated by my religious or political beliefs.

I'm an atheist incidentally so you're on 0% right so far.

Ahem!!! I didn't!!

i asked you to explain how you reconcile your beliefs with a club like Rangers and you answered me. So that fair enough.

i just know that if I'd been born a Rangers fan so to speak, I would definitely have chucked it through not being able to stomach all the shit that goes with it.

i still don't understand how anyone can brush all that shit to one side but like BlueGaz said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, Marky said:

Ahem!!! I didn't!!

i asked you to explain how you reconcile your beliefs with a club like Rangers and you answered me. So that fair enough.

i just know that if I'd been born a Rangers fan so to speak, I would definitely have chucked it through not being able to stomach all the shit that goes with it.

i still don't understand how anyone can brush all that shit to one side but like BlueGaz said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

What's your thoughts on Peever being a Tory and supporting independence?  

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Depends, what football team does he support?

2 hours ago, Scunnered said:

Not sure what's so odd about that. If Scotland becomes independent a lot of the SNP vote will wander off to its more natural home. A lot of people only vote SNP for the Independence factor.

On a personal level I have no idea who I'd vote for in an independent Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Ahem!!! I didn't!!

I don't brush it aside. I've tried to educate as I've gone along especially when I was a youth football coach but there's no point with some of the knuckle dragging, vein popping orange-utans that visit Ibrox.

You have to learn to pick your fights.

15 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't brush it aside. I've tried to educate as I've gone along especially when I was a youth football coach but there's no point with some of the knuckle dragging, vein popping orange-utans that visit Ibrox.

You have to learn to pick your fights.

Fair play to you. I don't blame you for not wanting to take an individual stance against these idiots. You'd only end up with a thick lip.

That's why I say if it was me I reckon I just wouldn't go. 

9 minutes ago, Marky said:

Fair play to you. I don't blame you for not wanting to take an individual stance against these idiots. You'd only end up with a thick lip.

That's why I say if it was me I reckon I just wouldn't go. 

When I was younger I was more aggressive but I have kids with me these days so I try to avoid any major altercation.  

That and I'm nearly 50 so probably not as tough as I think I am. ?