League cup revamp - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League cup revamp

35 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Indeed much preferred the final in November, both cup finals are too close together imo. (although something tells me they where late October)??

They have been moved around quite a lot over the years. Some of them were played in December, going way back. From the early 80s to early 90s it was played at the end of October. Then it was moved to the end of November  (that move might have been Champions League related?) until 2000 when it was moved to March.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

They have been moved around quite a lot over the years. Some of them were played in December, going way back. From the early 80s to early 90s it was played at the end of October. Then it was moved to the end of November  (that move might have been Champions League related?) until 2000 when it was moved to March.

Aye the first ones I remember from the mid 70s were just before Christmas. In 78 & 79 the finals were in the spring, then it moved back to December until it became the Skol Cup in 1984 and the final used to always be at the end of October on the Sunday the clocks went back.

As mentioned the advent of the Champion's League meant it moved back to later in the year, and eventually back into the following spring.

I think it was at its best when it finished in October, it felt more like a tournament with the rapid fire nature of the rounds (matches played to a finish with penalties were a novelty too). I seem to recall some of the football intellegentsia from down south saying they reckoned the Skol Cup was the most exciting domestic competition in Europe!

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Still think they should scrap the League Cup altogether.

Spot on, been saying it for years. All it does is add more games and therefore more expense for fans and the games are predominantly during the week when folk are less inclined to attend and away fans less inclined to travel. Add into the fact that theres no european place for it it's almost a redundant tournament.

The argument against is that a lot of 'smaller' or 'unfashionable' teams have won it in the past and it does give those teams and their supporters a day out at Hampden and the chance of a trophy which I fully appreciate. However, we've far too many games for a country of our size which already impact on attendances and getting rid of the league cup and just having The Scottish Cup would be to the long term benefit of the clubs.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

Spot on, been saying it for years. All it does is add more games and therefore more expense for fans and the games are predominantly during the week when folk are less inclined to attend and away fans less inclined to travel. Add into the fact that theres no european place for it it's almost a redundant tournament.

The argument against is that a lot of 'smaller' or 'unfashionable' teams have won it in the past and it does give those teams and their supporters a day out at Hampden and the chance of a trophy which I fully appreciate. However, we've far too many games for a country of our size which already impact on attendances and getting rid of the league cup and just having The Scottish Cup would be to the long term benefit of the clubs.

An easier solution would be to keep the League Cup and play less league games.

And given our recent history, not having a Euro place for the winner is a plus point!

40 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

An easier solution would be to keep the League Cup and play less league games.

And given our recent history, not having a Euro place for the winner is a plus point!

I take your first point but even if the league were expanded and therefore less games played, I'd still scrap the league cup.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

I've been to 3 away games this season, and 2 were in the league cup!

i love a game under the lights!

i don't understand how the size of the country impacts the number of games? Number of teams, you'd have a point.

dont agree with any of what you said.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Mox said:

I take your first point but even if the league were expanded and therefore less games played, I'd still scrap the league cup.

Easy to say when you support a team that's guaranteed trophies and cup finals on a regular basis.

The more competitions the better for me.

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Easy to say when you support a team that's guaranteed trophies and cup finals on a regular basis.

The more competitions the better for me.

I understand that and therefore appreciate the argument. However, more competitions means more games and more expense and therefore less people actually attending.

In an ideal world we'd have a league of 16, 30 games a season with a winter break between the middle of Dec to the end of Jan and the Scottish Cup as the only cup competition. 

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

In an ideal world we'd have a league of 16, 30 games a season with a winter break between the middle of Dec to the end of Jan and the Scottish Cup as the only cup competition. 

That might be your idea world. It's not mines,