Duncan Ferguson - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To be fair, I always thought he was badly treated by the SFA there was definately something vengeful about the way they dealt with his suspension. I could fully understand them deferring it until the court case was settled so as not to predjudice it but deferring it until he was released from prison was just wrong.

That said, anytime he did play he was entirely underwhelming. I'm not so sure that was entirely his fault though as the team just went for the lazy option of humping the ball up to him.

He was brilliant against Germany at Ibrox.Should have been a Scotland great.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was brilliant against Germany at Ibrox.Should have been a Scotland great.

He wasn't brilliant. He had a very good overhead kick that just went over the bar. Sadly the best thing he ever did in a Scotland shirt.

As I said before, I don't think that was all his fault. Agree with your second point though.

Saw Pat Nevin speaking about Dunc at a fans event number of years back.

Said when he first come into the Scotland squad he was asked to look after him..... at first he thought he was just this lump of a village simpleton, yet got to know him and found him to be very likable.

His take on his Scotland career was given his height and presence, Roxburgh and Brown felt they could use it to their advantage by going long ball..... problem is this was not Dunc style, as he was to lazy to just chase balls all day long, and would just lose interest after 10-15 minutes.

Tells a story that one day in a practice match, Dunc says to Nevin "play the ball to my feet".... which Nevin did, and he was putting them away all day.... yet for some reason Roxburgh and Brown just could not get their head around that this was his strength rather than his actual height.

Always felt if Vogts had got the chance to get him into the team that he would have done better.

Edited by wanderer

He was absolutley gash in the rearranged game against Estonia in Monaco. (Although that could be said for most of them that night).

That game provides the backdrop to the second half of this book. The original non-game providing the same for the first half.

http://tartanarmysunshineappeal.moonfruit.com/shop/4590985127/chancers-dancers-and-romancers%E2%80%9D---all-proceeds-donated-to-the-tartan-army-sunshine-appeal/10286399

Not related to big dunk specifically, but their seem to be a lot of footballers having to pay back sums to HMRC on the back of the ice-breaker types schemes being declared dodgy.

Think the Guardian said there were over 100 premier league players and ex-players down south in trouble. Know from experience these were actively marketed in Scotland.

So probably going to be seeing a lot more players in dunks shoes, over the coming months....

Darren Jackson in court last month, tax man chasing £270k, some tax scheme that involved investing in film industry, that's now been found dodgy.

Darren Jackson in court last month, tax man chasing £270k, some tax scheme that involved investing in film industry, that's now been found dodgy.

seen him shopping in Harvey Nicks the other day, being bankrupt must be tough Edited by dan cake

Met him once in a nightclub. Complete banger.

Not suprised he lost his money.

He came out recently and said he regretted making himself unavailable to play for Scotland.

Tough titty, Duncan. GTF too late now Ya banger

Maybe we should deport him, eh?

I do remember hearing the Liverpool fans singing one of the funniest (if slightly distasteful) songs I've heard based around Ferguson's injury record..

"In for a week and out for a month, Duncan is a tampon"!!

Yeah am pretty sure I watched or read something on him that he would have never made euro 96 regardless due to injury/end of season operation needed. Also whilst at Newcastle he only managed something like 30 odd appearances in 3 years and they were delighted to take half what they spent on him cause he was never off the treatment table. It wasn't until the later stages of his career at his 2nd Everton stint that he was consistently fit, at which point you'd assume he would have hypothetically retired from Scotland anyway.

Some ex and current EPL players have lost substantial amounts on money on this with few being made bankrupt.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/23/footballers-tax-demands-hmrc

David James was made bankrupt.

On a Scottish theme I am sure craig Beattie got into financial trouble. Crazy as you reckon these guys were in big wages.

David James was made bankrupt.

On a Scottish theme I am sure craig Beattie got into financial trouble. Crazy as you reckon these guys were in big wages.

Not sure about Craig Beattie but it was a couple of expensive divorces that did for David James.

The problem with these retrospective tax demands is that they'll relate to a time when they were earning good money and that'll all have been spent now.

cannae see there being much betting on the doos

No probably right...

In April 2012, PETA presented findings from a 15-month investigation to 17 law enforcement agencies. PETA's lawyers claimed they had hundreds of pages of evidence on the illegalities in pigeon racing and alleged a $15 million illegal gambling market. PETA asserted that only 40 percent of pigeons survive a race.[18] PETA also found that some pigeon racers used performance-enhancing drugs on their pigeons.[citation needed] Bronx Homing Pigeon Club president Lou Bernardone has said, “There is no gambling. We give trophies. You get nice big plaques with your name on it and everything.”[19]

On July 24, 2014, PETA released findings from a five-month-long investigation, conducted in 2013, alleging that Oklahoma City - based Continental Breeding Station, was involved in a multibillion dollar gambling operation in Taiwan.

No probably right...

In April 2012, PETA presented findings from a 15-month investigation to 17 law enforcement agencies. PETA's lawyers claimed they had hundreds of pages of evidence on the illegalities in pigeon racing and alleged a $15 million illegal gambling market. PETA asserted that only 40 percent of pigeons survive a race.[18] PETA also found that some pigeon racers used performance-enhancing drugs on their pigeons.[citation needed] Bronx Homing Pigeon Club president Lou Bernardone has said, “There is no gambling. We give trophies. You get nice big plaques with your name on it and everything.”[19]

On July 24, 2014, PETA released findings from a five-month-long investigation, conducted in 2013, alleging that Oklahoma City - based Continental Breeding Station, was involved in a multibillion dollar gambling operation in Taiwan.

Big Dunc must have been feeding them some pretty good gear if his doos ended up in Oklahoma.

The problem with these retrospective tax demands is that they'll relate to a time when they were earning good money and that'll all have been spent now.

I find it difficult to feel a shred of sympathy for rich folk who've blown their money and tried to find a way around paying their fair share of tax.

I find it difficult to feel a shred of sympathy for rich folk who've blown their money and tried to find a way around paying their fair share of tax.

I didn't say I had sympathy for them, i was answering the point about how come people who were on good money suddenly didn't have any.

The exception to this would be that a lot of footballers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and they could well have been badly advised. I wouldn't include Darren Jackson in that as I don't think he's an idiot and he really should have gone for the maxim of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is".

I didn't say I had sympathy for them, i was answering the point about how come people who were on good money suddenly didn't have any.

The exception to this would be that a lot of footballers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and they could well have been badly advised. I wouldn't include Darren Jackson in that as I don't think he's an idiot and he really should have gone for the maxim of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is".

Yeah, I wasn't making a comment directed at you. Just meant generally. Can see how you thought I was having a dig at you though :lol: