Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 163 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It risks tokenism though because when Rules of Engagement added Timmy it was probably more racist having an Indian guy working as an office bitch than them previously having an all white cast for the main parts.  Frasier is the whitest show I've ever seen but it's probably accurate him not having any black folk in his upper middle class circle of friends in North West America whereas adding one would have just masked the problem.   

Having an all white/black/asian show shouldnt be an issue though. 

I used to watch The Cosby Show in the early 90s, while I was only a bairn, so cant recall accurately, pretty much everyone was black. It was a great show, diversity wasn't an issue. Unfortunately Bill Cosby turned out to be a bad chap, but its one of the few shows I can remember watching.

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I used to watch The Cosby Show in the early 90s, while I was only a bairn, so cant recall accurately, pretty much everyone was black. It was a great show, diversity wasn't an issue. Unfortunately Bill Cosby turned out to be a bad chap, but its one of the few shows I can remember watching.

Agree totally and think its worse chucking in token character for the sake of it.  It works in King of Queens because he's a postie but putting Timmy in Rules of Engagement was toe curling bad.  Possibly they could have squeezed one in friends but it would have probably been Joey so you're into the realms of stereotype from the off.  

I loved Coby Show as a kid - would  be interesting to know what black folk in America thought of it at the time.  

19 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It was a hugely popular show; enjoyed by millions.

Another I liked as a teenager was 'Desmond's' on Channel 4. That was an all black cast IIRC.

As an aside; some people have talked about comedy dating...

Just this week I ordered the Rab C Nesbitt box set (I wanted the World Cup episode, but that was £20 on it's own, so I bought the box-set for £27).

Will it have stood the test of time? 

I always switched off cosby show desmonds etc also anything with eddie murphy and ophra winfrey i also despised friends and thought types who watched it shallow or dumb or both i also cant stand james cordern or ant and dec and noel edmunds not sure if that makes me a racist is todays terms

unfortunately free speech has taken a hit by the virtue signalling woke police and we now are all expected to swallow this crap as this fits well into the anti union agenda is welcomed by the sheep

14 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

It was a hugely popular show; enjoyed by millions.

Another I liked as a teenager was 'Desmond's' on Channel 4. That was an all black cast IIRC.

Just this week I ordered the Rab C Nesbitt box set (I wanted the World Cup episode, but that was £20 on it's own, so I bought the box-set for £27).

Desmonds was about a barber shop in London wasn't it? That was great show as well, this is like memory lane 😂

Rab C Nesbitt has aged terribly though, I watched a couple of episodes on some Cable channel a few years ago, and it was terrible sadly.

23 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I knew I mentioned this before..

On 1/23/2020 at 4:47 PM, kumnio said:

A lot of truth in that, I loved Rab C Nesbitt 25 years ago, watched it about 5 years ago, and couldn't believe how bad it was.

The exception is OFAH which will remain a classic forever, and hopefully Still Game.

5 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

I do feel and immense rage most of the time and am concerned about this i feel the world is changing too quickly for my needs I sometimes wish for a time machine 

If you could travel back in time which log-in would you go back to?

15 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Desmonds was about a barber shop in London wasn't it? That was great show as well, this is like memory lane 😂

Rab C Nesbitt has aged terribly though, I watched a couple of episodes on some Cable channel a few years ago, and it was terrible sadly.

image.gif.d78e17173c423a8557ce2cfc0e72c0c5.gifThat's right. A south London barbershop. It was on quite early; about 6pm. I think they showed The Wonder Years in the same slot on a different day. Maybe Roseanne on other days (?)

Anyway, Desmond's. I really liked it. I remember most of them were West Indian, but there was a tall African guy who was quite posh; quite articulate; he was very dry.

And there was a character called Porkpie who was often the butt of the joke. The 'Trigger' of Desmond's, if you like.

So, maybe I should send Rab C Nesbitt back without even opening it (?)

That said, I still watch Bottom. That's still hilarious.   

image.gif

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

I thought the cosby show was shite. When i was young i watched frwsh prince of belair after school. Always thought carlton was hularious and i fancied Hilary. 

Rab C hasnt stood the test of time for me, watched the italia 90 episode a couple of years ago and remember thinking it was shite.

I was put of The Fresh Prince by the fact that Will Smith is an absolute bellend. Theres a few actors that I just cant stand, and Smith is one of them, but no one comes close to Tom Cruise for being a complete bellend.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Im sure whats happening in 2020 will be looked upon in 10, 20 or 30 years time as quite bewildering.

I love Still Game, and regularly watch episodes on Netflix, I cant remember which episode it is, but Jack or Victor call Bobby a big poof, they wouldn't get away with it now, and its probably only ten years old.

Stuff like Love Thy Neighbour and The Minstrels are before my time, but its staggering that stuff like that was allowed to be broadcast.

If they programmes stagger you then 'Till death us do part' would give you heart failure.

17 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I think they showed The Wonder Years in the same slot on a different day.

image.gif

If you have kids, get them to watch 'Project MC squared'. Winnie from the Wonder Years is in it (for the dads forced to watch it). Can perv over her like we're 16 again.

56 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

I always switched off cosby show desmonds etc also anything with eddie murphy and ophra winfrey i also despised friends and thought types who watched it shallow or dumb or both i also cant stand james cordern or ant and dec and noel edmunds not sure if that makes me a racist is todays terms

unfortunately free speech has taken a hit by the virtue signalling woke police and we now are all expected to swallow this crap as this fits well into the anti union agenda is welcomed by the sheep

Free speech is being able to say something without the government prosecuting you for it. It's not being able to say what you want and everyone has to treat you the same.

Reminds me of the Stewart Lee bit about how political correctness gets mixed up for health and safety legislation.

9 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

If you have kids, get them to watch 'Project MC squared'. Winnie from the Wonder Years is in it (for the dads forced to watch it). Can perv over her like we're 16 again.

Did you ever see the last episode of Wonder Years?  

6 minutes ago, phart said:

Free speech is being able to say something without the government prosecuting you for it. It's not being able to say what you want and everyone has to treat you the same.

Reminds me of the Stewart Lee bit about how political correctness gets mixed up for health and safety legislation.

Freedom of speech also doesn't mean that you are entitled to be given a platform by others to express those views, nor that anyone actually has to listen to them.

9 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Just Googled her. Very nice.

Just heard on the radio; League of Gentlemen has been cut from Netflix. Comedy is being cut left, right and centre in the current climate.