Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 162 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

A study is a study.  Racism is racism.  You don't need a study to know that.  On every side you will get racism.  A study will tell you anything you want to know.  Done countless with my students.  You can do one, one week and one the next with different results depending on the quota or sample size.

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Now a straw man! FFS phart. :lol: 

Anyway I have to go work for a bit and I feel this could drag on forever. 

"the numbers are being used to promote a false narrative about institutionalized racism. "

Then the video went on to try and show that the numbers were equal for white and black on fatal force used, so therefore there was no racism, are we arguing cause i eschewed "institutionalized" when i typed it out.

If it's wrong then state clearly your position then, as that's what i got from it.

Edited by phart

5 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

A study is a study.  Racism is racism.  You don't need a study to know that.  On every side you will get racism.  A study will tell you anything you want to know.  Done countless with my students.  You can do one, one week and one the next with different results depending on the quota or sample size.

But the study isn't about "racism" it's about the likelihood of fatal force being used by police officers, the sample size/quota doesn't change either cause it's using the same stats as we only have one reality and the stats come from that.

I hope your students read the studies before commenting, you taught them that at least?

The 75 year old Antifa Agent Provocateur knocked down in Buffalo by the Buffalo riot police got what he deserved according to Trump and the TV station OANN today. Apparently the elderly gentleman was attempting to spam / block the Police communications using a secret app on his cell phone.

Oh, and the OANN correspondent previously worked at the Russian propaganda outlet Sputnik, so it must be true.

The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

(Handy tip of the day: It is behind a pay wall but you can read it for free if you view it on web archive site)

Here is a little excerpt. Pretty amazing statistics really...

This charge of systemic police bias was wrong during the Obama years and remains so today. However sickening the video of Floyd’s arrest, it isn’t representative of the 375 million annual contacts that police officers have with civilians. A solid body of evidence finds no structural bias in the criminal-justice system with regard to arrests, prosecution or sentencing. Crime and suspect behavior, not race, determine most police actions.

In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

On Memorial Day weekend in Chicago alone, 10 African-Americans were killed in drive-by shootings. Such routine violence has continued—a 72-year-old Chicago man shot in the face on May 29 by a gunman who fired about a dozen shots into a residence; two 19-year-old women on the South Side shot to death as they sat in a parked car a few hours earlier; a 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed with his own knife that same day. This past weekend, 80 Chicagoans were shot in drive-by shootings, 21 fatally, the victims overwhelmingly black. Police shootings are not the reason that blacks die of homicide at eight times the rate of whites and Hispanics combined; criminal violence is.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Little britain removed from iplayer and netfilx, it shouldve been removed for being pish anyway. Walliams and the baldy guy are about as funny as a dose of the clap.

It was never my cup of tea either but it's disarming to see something that was considered mainstream and inoffensive a little over a decade ago now being "banned" (I suspected it might be though but more for it's "I'm a lady" character rather than anything else).

Apparently the non-pish Gone With the Wind has been pulled by HBO - temporarily - because of its depictions of slavery.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Little britain removed from iplayer and netfilx, it shouldve been removed for being pish anyway. Walliams and the baldy guy are about as funny as a dose of the clap.

I wonder if Fawlty Towers will now be canned due the the majors wee outburst?

47 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It was never my cup of tea either but it's disarming to see something that was considered mainstream and inoffensive a little over a decade ago now being "banned" (I suspected it might be though but more for it's "I'm a lady" character rather than anything else).

Apparently the non-pish Gone With the Wind has been pulled by HBO - temporarily - because of its depictions of slavery.

I think even a show as spectacularly popular as 'Friends' is living on borrowed time. It has homophobic and transphobic jokes.

17 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I think even a show as spectacularly popular as 'Friends' is living on borrowed time. It has homophobic and transphobic jokes.

The creator of freinds has already said she wishes the cast had been more diverse. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

(Handy tip of the day: It is behind a pay wall but you can read it for free if you view it on web archive site)

Here is a little excerpt. Pretty amazing statistics really...

Yes let's eschew the peer review research of Statisticians in favour of the opinion piece of American conservative pro police think tank English Major Heather Macdonald cause it lines up with my world view.

Again the same error was pointed out in the actual peer review of the argument.

"These claims are misleading because the reported results apply only to a subset of victims and do not control for the fact that we would expect a higher number of White victims simply because the majority of US citizens are White.."

You start to see why folk can be flat earthers when you see the same simple mistakes made over and over.

Her most recent arguments are the lockdown for Covid was panic and it was just the flu. These were made in March. To give folk an idea of what you're dealing with.

https://newcriterion.com/blogs/dispatch/compared-to-what

"President Trump has been criticized for not being apocalyptic enough in his press conferences. In fact, he should be even more skeptical of the panic than he has been. "

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Somewhat ironic as it was the film which saw the first Oscar awarded to a black person.

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

The 'these people are wogs' scene hasn't been shown for years. I think other segments have been edited out. Not sure if the dvd copies still have them but tv runs on UK gold definitely cut them 

45 minutes ago, slasher said:

The 'these people are wogs' scene hasn't been shown for years. I think other segments have been edited out. Not sure if the dvd copies still have them but tv runs on UK gold definitely cut them 

My DVDs it's definitely in. I'm sure I've seen it on TV in the not so distant past.

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Fawlty Towers has had it!  Xenophobic jokes, homophobic jokes, ableist jokes ("is this a piece of your brain?").

John Cleese said the show would date eventually, but this probably isn't what he had in mind.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Somewhat ironic as it was the film which saw the first Oscar awarded to a black person.

HBO frankly don't give a damn about that though.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Fawlty Towers has had it!  Xenophobic jokes, homophobic jokes, ableist jokes ("is this a piece of your brain?").

John Cleese said the show would date eventually, but this probably isn't what he had in mind.

Don't know what it says about me, favourite comedy and always will be. 

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

If they ban South Park, we riot!

Agreed. 

Friends is out of date but i dont think the creator need to be apologising or even discussing it. Other sitcoms like sex and the city were in the firing line too.

I dont really give a fuck if an entire cast of a comedy is black white yellow or green. If its funny ill laugh if its not i wont watch it.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

HBO frankly don't give a damn about that though.

I see what you did there.   

The thing about Fawlty Towers though, is that the butt of all the jokes and the most ridiculous character in it is that of Basil Fawlty himself and I think that's the point here.   A world of a difference between that and something like Mind Your Language - which was really a case of "lets all laugh at funny foreigners" and Love Thy Neighbour, which saw the white racist guy as the fool most times but also probably made a lot of people with similar views feel they were being represented.   I doubt anyone looked at Basil Fawlty in the same way.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The creator of freinds has already said she wishes the cast had been more diverse. 

I hadn't watched it in over a decade but the couple of episodes I saw hadn't aged particularly well.  It's a difficult one though because I always think stuff like this is good social commentary to see how things have changed but obviously stuff like Love Thy Neighbour should be consigned to media studies classes.  Little Britain never did it for me but watching the blacked up character I couldn't believe it even made the tele in the 90's!   

It risks tokenism though because when Rules of Engagement added Timmy it was probably more racist having an Indian guy working as an office bitch than them previously having an all white cast for the main parts.  Frasier is the whitest show I've ever seen but it's probably accurate him not having any black folk in his upper middle class circle of friends in North West America whereas adding one would have just masked the problem.

I thought it was really interesting watching it reversed in Black-ish and how they dealt with the token white folk in the office.  They did an episode on race riots about 5 years ago that could have been written last week.    

Im sure whats happening in 2020 will be looked upon in 10, 20 or 30 years time as quite bewildering.

I love Still Game, and regularly watch episodes on Netflix, I cant remember which episode it is, but Jack or Victor call Bobby a big poof, they wouldn't get away with it now, and its probably only ten years old.

Stuff like Love Thy Neighbour and The Minstrels are before my time, but its staggering that stuff like that was allowed to be broadcast.