Tennis 2016 - Page 10 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2016

Donaldo87

Murray wins again, hopefully he will keep this winning run going. It will be a hard ask to better the 20+ match winning run he had earlier in the year but it isn't impossible. I think he plays John Isner next in Vienna, and despite losing a set in each of his last 2 matches I would expect him to win this one in straight sets.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28 October 2016 at 1:08 AM, Grantyboy1983 said:

Murray wins again, hopefully he will keep this winning run going. It will be a hard ask to better the 20+ match winning run he had earlier in the year but it isn't impossible. I think he plays John Isner next in Vienna, and despite losing a set in each of his last 2 matches I would expect him to win this one in straight sets.

Murray into final, 

So here's a question - who is the you d guy who is going to some through and make a big impact?

There aren't many players under 25 in the top order, and if you think Nadal won th French at 19, Federer won Wimbledon at 21, Djokovic won the Oz open when he was 20, Murray was 25 when he won Wimbledon, even guys like Cilic and Del Potro, were 25 or under.  So who's next?

Kyrgios is only 21 but I think he'd too much of a twat to be able to concentrate for long enough. Could mature, but he seems to be going in the other direction.

Thiem is 23, decent, but hasn't looked like threatening even in a Masters tournament.

Pouille is 22, and one of the guys I think could come to the fore. Quarter finals of Winbledon and the US Open last year, I think he might push on.

But I think the guy who might really come into contention is Alexander Zverev. Only 19, was the youngest player ever to get into the top 20.

Any others?

16 hours ago, biffer said:

So here's a question - who is the you d guy who is going to some through and make a big impact?

There aren't many players under 25 in the top order, and if you think Nadal won th French at 19, Federer won Wimbledon at 21, Djokovic won the Oz open when he was 20, Murray was 25 when he won Wimbledon, even guys like Cilic and Del Potro, were 25 or under.  So who's next?

Kyrgios is only 21 but I think he'd too much of a twat to be able to concentrate for long enough. Could mature, but he seems to be going in the other direction.

Thiem is 23, decent, but hasn't looked like threatening even in a Masters tournament.

Pouille is 22, and one of the guys I think could come to the fore. Quarter finals of Winbledon and the US Open last year, I think he might push on.

But I think the guy who might really come into contention is Alexander Zverev. Only 19, was the youngest player ever to get into the top 20.

Any others?

I think Zverev could become the dominant player in tennis, he's got real talent and is already starting to compete with top ten players. Kyrgios has got some serious growing up to do, he is entertaining to watch and it would be a loss to Tennis and himself if he didn't realise his own talent and grow the feck up.

Murray can take the number one spot n the next month if he performs well in Paris or London, Djokovic would need to have get knocked out before each final though. If its going to happen I want it to happen in London but thats me being selfish since I will be there.

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Just needs to reach the final and he's numero uno! :ok: 

That would be an amazing achievement. I wonder if he would regard that as bigger than winning Wimbledon or the US open? I think I would, if it was me. Imagine being able to say that you are the best player in the world at any particular sport.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

That's what I thought I heard last weekend but tonight it said reaching the final would suffice.

It all depended how far Djokovic got in the tournament. Because he lost in the quarters then Murray only needs to get past the semis.

3 minutes ago, min said:

First set to Andy in the final.

If he wins today, yet another record will be broken as he's never won three masters titles in a single year before.

It could be crucial to determining how long Andy stays at No 1. A win today and he heads to the WTF with a 405 point lead but lose today and it will be a mere 5 point lead.

A lead of 405 would be very handy as 200 points are awarded to each round robin match won in the WTF.

On 04/11/2016 at 7:11 PM, Orraloon said:

That would be an amazing achievement. I wonder if he would regard that as bigger than winning Wimbledon or the US open? I think I would, if it was me. Imagine being able to say that you are the best player in the world at any particular sport.

I don't think he would. He's a competitor beating folk in actual play will probably be the source of most joy for him, if he follows the trend for most elite athletes I've read about.

Of course i have no personal experience so i might be talking shite !

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Murray wins 6-3 6-7 6-4. Not at his best today but Isner did play very well. His 8th title of the year and he will lead Djokovic in the rankings by 405 points tomorrow when the rankings are released.

After the Davis cup final is played Murray will lose 275 points 

18 minutes ago, phart said:

I don't think he would. He's a competitor beating folk in actual play will probably be the source of most joy for him, if he follows the trend for most elite athletes I've read about.

Of course i have no personal experience so i might be talking shite !

Aye, having thought about it again, you might be right. The fact that he has already won 3 Slams, getting to number one might feel a wee bit more important than winning another slam. Maybe? But if he had never won a slam he would want to win one of them more than getting the no. 1 spot. I'll ask him next time I see him doon the pub.

Thinking about golfers - both Luke Donald and Lee Westwood have been number one in the rankings but neither have won a major. I'm pretty sure both of them would swap that number one spot for a major.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, having thought about it again, you might be right. The fact that he has already won 3 Slams, getting to number one might feel a wee bit more important than winning another slam. Maybe? But if he had never won a slam he would want to win one of them more than getting the no. 1 spot. I'll ask him next time I see him doon the pub.

Thinking about golfers - both Luke Donald and Lee Westwood have been number one in the rankings but neither have won a major. I'm pretty sure both of them would swap that number one spot for a major.

yeah now that he has won slams etc, number 1 is pretty much the last thing, bar wins in all 4 slams.

He is coming into the best form of his life, with basically 2 slams to win for the complete set. A really complete career already and he's had to work like a beast to get there, no easy options considering the players in his era.

He's up there with Ricky Burns as my favourite athletes.