January Transfer News - Page 25 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

January Transfer News

I didn't say it was, although it would seem to be another indicator of a shortage of transfer funds

Or reluctance to pay over the odds.

If we're still making this kind of signing in the summer (assuming we go up) I'll start to worry. The type of player that would put us in a position to challenge for top 6 in the Premiership etc is probably reluctant to come to the Scottish 1st division. Should we go up we'll be in a much better position to attract better quality than we can at the moment. If we're still scrabbling around with cheap loans and the likes then the warning signs will be in overdrive!

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised we let him go on loan to be honest but with Nicholson and Walker back on the squad for the weekend and a couple more attacking players maybe arriving before Monday he would have been back on the bench.

What's your thoughts on him. Must admit I don't know much about the guy.

Or reluctance to pay over the odds.

If we're still making this kind of signing in the summer (assuming we go up) I'll start to worry. The type of player that would put us in a position to challenge for top 6 in the Premiership etc is probably reluctant to come to the Scottish 1st division. Should we go up we'll be in a much better position to attract better quality than we can at the moment. If we're still scrabbling around with cheap loans and the likes then the warning signs will be in overdrive!

which is fair enough FB. If the club doesnt have the funds then they shouldnt be spending rediculous transfer fees - much better approach than previously.

its just that King said he would spend millions on the team - and did he not say he would put up half of it? he quoted 10's of millions. now would be the time to start doing that if he was genuine. did I mention i think hes lied to you? :)

which is fair enough FB. If the club doesnt have the funds then they shouldnt be spending rediculous transfer fees - much better approach than previously.

its just that King said he would spend millions on the team - and did he not say he would put up half of it? he quoted 10's of millions. now would be the time to start doing that if he was genuine. did I mention i think hes lied to you? :)

I don't think he put a timescale on it. I believe the quote was it would take £30M to get the club back to a position to be challenging with Celtic. A lot of people seem to think that meant he was going to spunk £30M on players the first chance he got. There was a helluva lot wrong with the club when arrived though and not just the playing squad. Both Ibrox and Auchenhowie were in states of disrepair and require millions to get them up to scratch. We've had to build a new coaching set up from scratch. There's been various loans that have needed to be paid back and contracts bought out of. All of this racks up to multiple millions.

I also believe that King's comments were along the lines of if none of the other directors would invest then he would do it all from his own money but the plan was that he would match their investment which so far he (through Oasis) has done. I know we've discussed this to death here and we'll never see eye to eye. I might be being naive but I think people are so desperate to see King (and in turn Rangers) fail that they are taking everything that he says way too literally.

What's your thoughts on him. Must admit I don't know much about the guy.

He is a bit like templeton with a good attitude and a far better work rate ?

Like running at people and shooting from outside the box, was very good last season but hasn't adjusted to the premier as well as walker and Nicholson which is why he is down the pecking order when they are fit.

Think he will do very well for you during his loan period anyway.

Edited by hannibal smith

He is a bit like templeton with a good attitude and a far better work rate

Like running at people and shooting from outside the box, was very good last season but hasn't adjusted to the premier as well as walker and Nicholson which is why he is down the pecking order when they are fit.

I'm a lot more encouraged with the last sentence of your post than the first 6 words!!

I don't think he put a timescale on it. I believe the quote was it would take £30M to get the club back to a position to be challenging with Celtic. A lot of people seem to think that meant he was going to spunk £30M on players the first chance he got. There was a helluva lot wrong with the club when arrived though and not just the playing squad. Both Ibrox and Auchenhowie were in states of disrepair and require millions to get them up to scratch. We've had to build a new coaching set up from scratch. There's been various loans that have needed to be paid back and contracts bought out of. All of this racks up to multiple millions.

I also believe that King's comments were along the lines of if none of the other directors would invest then he would do it all from his own money but the plan was that he would match their investment which so far he (through Oasis) has done. I know we've discussed this to death here and we'll never see eye to eye. I might be being naive but I think people are so desperate to see King (and in turn Rangers) fail that they are taking everything that he says way too literally.

This. Sick and tired of explaining that we have spent millions since King came in rebuilding the club but not on players. All anyone ever thinks is the money had to go on players. Of course then they'd moan we were over spending on players etc.

It's just the usual suspects making sure they have something to criticise Rangers for. It's their favourite hobby.

This. Sick and tired of explaining that we have spent millions since King came in rebuilding the club but not on players. All anyone ever thinks is the money had to go on players. Of course then they'd moan we were over spending on players etc.

It's just the usual suspects making sure they have something to criticise Rangers for. It's their favourite hobby.

So is the stadium fixed then? Genuine question

Don't know if all repairs have been carried out but some significant work has already been done.

Also work has been started at Murray Park on the repairs there.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

ok im another who didnt realise this, i thought the millions to be spent on the infrastructure was still to come. last i heard the wifi was still not working. I am not desperate to see anyone fail, but i think king is a spiv. i may be proved wrong in time on that though - we shall see. however he has spun a few big ones so far that just haven't happened despite the daily record printing them all as gospel.

look if you come out with pish about spending £30m to get rangers back in the champs league and then struggle to pay £200k plus you are going to get the piss taken. pretty simple.

ok im another who didnt realise this, i thought the millions to be spent on the infrastructure was still to come. last i heard the wifi was still not working. I am not desperate to see anyone fail, but i think king is a spiv. i may be proved wrong in time on that though - we shall see. however he has spun a few big ones so far that just haven't happened despite the daily record printing them all as gospel.

look if you come out with pish about spending £30m to get rangers back in the champs league and then struggle to pay £200k plus you are going to get the piss taken. pretty simple.

Should be quite easy to check what has been carried out- building warrants for the larger stuff will be available on line. Cant be bothered to check myself.

The wifi wont be touched until the result of the court case.

Edited by Stu101

He is a bit like templeton with a good attitude and a far better work rate ?

Cheers sir.

Certainly sounds like he has done well at Championship level, so he should enhance the squad and push for a Starting place.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the season is still going. It might be better to wait for a free couple of months to carry out some of the infrastructure repairs such as, oh I don't know, the summer? In any event, it's quite a large undertaking so any repairs would be phased, such as the tarting up of the turnstiles which has happened in the last couple of months and the drainage works adjacent to the John Greig statue which has been similarly upgraded.

And the stadium isn't "broken" in any event.

The wifi has been discontinued because it was rubbish. It's not so much "not working" as "removed from use". You criticise away though. It's like criticising someone for their gas central heating not working when they have electric.

Did you honestly expect King to spend millions to get us out of the Championship? Seriously.

You also need to take heed of Fairbairn's points rather than simply dismiss them because it doesn't suit your agenda re King. If you are so entrenched with your views, you need to try and listen to the other side's opinions and make an informed judgement. You, however, choose to bang on with the same boring rhetoric despite being presented with other information which may be more pertinent. It's somewhat narrow minded. And dull. By f^ck, it's dull.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the season is still going. It might be better to wait for a free couple of months to carry out some of the infrastructure repairs such as, oh I don't know, the summer? In any event, it's quite a large undertaking so any repairs would be phased, such as the tarting up of the turnstiles which has happened in the last couple of months and the drainage works adjacent to the John Greig statue which has been similarly upgraded.

And the stadium isn't "broken" in any event.

The wifi has been discontinued because it was rubbish. It's not so much "not working" as "removed from use". You criticise away though. It's like criticising someone for their gas central heating not working when they have electric.

Did you honestly expect King to spend millions to get us out of the Championship? Seriously.

You also need to take heed of Fairbairn's points rather than simply dismiss them because it doesn't suit your agenda re King. If you are so entrenched with your views, you need to try and listen to the other side's opinions and make an informed judgement. You, however, choose to bang on with the same boring rhetoric despite being presented with other information which may be more pertinent. It's somewhat narrow minded. And dull. By f^ck, it's dull.

I wouldn't waste your time mate. I tried to explain to him about 12 pages ago that we have spent £200k already. More than once. Conveniently ignored of course.

I'm pretty happy with what we are spending. Or NOT spending should I say. We still have loads to sort out in terms of cost cutting and spunking millions on.players we don't need would be absolute lunacy.

Edited by Angus_Young

I don't know all the details as I don't work for Rangers or their contractors.

Ah, you see, when someone makes a claim that work has been done, I'd expect them to be able to tell me what work has been done. Otherwise they look like they're talking shite.