Barrowlands - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best pre-gig hostelry (imo) is The Cabin. Literally the next door up from the Barras' entrance. Looks a right dive from the outside (and in fairness, the inside), but what a welcoming wee boozer. Typical weeji 'characters'. The last time I was there, in the space of half an hour, I was offered 2 steaks, a lawnmower, a BT phone and a parrot.

The best pre-gig hostelry (imo) is The Cabin. Literally the next door up from the Barras' entrance. Looks a right dive from the outside (and in fairness, the inside), but what a welcoming wee boozer. Typical weeji 'characters'. The last time I was there, in the space of half an hour, I was offered 2 steaks, a lawnmower, a BT phone and a parrot.

Didn't know you could get 'lawnmower' eckies?

Out of that lot I am guessing that you ended up going home with the parrot?

Am I getting mixed up or was there a small stage near the cloakroom area called The Revue at Barrowlands ? This would have been the mid 80's to 90's.

When you walk doon the corridor?we just called it the wee barras seen a couple of bands in there

First gig at the Barras was Gomez around 1999.

Best gig there was undoubtedly Oasis when they did their "Ten Years of Noise and Confusion" tour. Think that one was on Sky Box Office.

The only band that I really want to see there, but didn't manage was the Foo Fighters. I went to get tickets for them playing there in Tower Records (I think) and they had just sold out, but they had tickets for the Corn Exchange and were running a bus so did that instead.

Was at all the gigs in the mid 80`s where the capacity was [ahem] flexible [simple Minds, The Pogues, Bunnymen, Runrig etc etc] was strange to be back there for a sold out gigfor The Twilight Sad at the weekend and able to freely walk from side to side............

Yeah I can mind going to see Big Country & you could hardly get to the dance floor from the stairs.

Nick Cave there on Halloween a couple of years ago was a tremendous night :ok:

Few others that spring to mind just now.....DJ Shadow in 2002. Super Furry Animals in 99. Several times seeing Primal Scream there. Also, i`m not big into hip-hop but Jurassic 5 in 2003ish was an unexpected great night.

Was at all the gigs in the mid 80`s where the capacity was [ahem] flexible

I saw the Pixies there in 1990 and the place was absolutely rammed. Years later at other "sold out" gigs it was nowhere near as busy.

I wonder what the capacity used to be and when it was restricted?...

• 2 weeks later...