Barrowlands - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Pixies there in 1990 and the place was absolutely rammed. Years later at other "sold out" gigs it was nowhere near as busy.

I wonder what the capacity used to be and when it was restricted?...

Yip the Pixies gig was heaving. Capacity was reduced after the boy got stabbed and killed at the Ice T gig.

Yeah I can mind going to see Big Country & you could hardly get to the dance floor from the stairs.

Ha remember it well.

They did an afternoon and evening Hogmanay gig in 83.Runrig supported them along with a group called Second Thoughts who were two English lads with acoustic guitars.

Needless to say they cut their set short...

That was 3rd time I had seen Big Country thst year. Saw them at Ayr Pavilion and The Locarno on Sauchiehall Street earlier.

Off to see them on Wednesday night in PJMolloys in Dunfermline looking forward to it☺

Listened to most of it on Xmas day, didn't realise the role Simple Minds played in reinventing it as a live music venue...

It wasn't only just that, Simple Minds and Bruce Findlay changed the Scottish music scene where London A&R and Press had to come to Glasgow. Bands always had to go to London to make their break. Simple Minds still have a lot of the original Scots Crew/Roadies from the early days.

I've seen some cracking gigs at the Barras - Embrace were on their downers and were blown away by the reception of a Barras gig, the band were blown away as the the Glaswegian/Scots sang every tune, the band were awestruck and grinning all the way through in utter disbelief, Super Furry Animals also gobsmacked - great party atmosphere (the way I used to remember T in the Park) so my fave gig spot ever, perfect size, great acoustics, terrific buzz.