Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

Thanks for the reply, one would have thought that the "hard to reach" areas would have been the prime candidates for the installation of remote monitoring as the cynic in me can't help thinking that "hard to reach" is simply code for "not done often enough".

A very valid point. These areas are only likely to be accessible via roped access which limits the times when you can get in, ie out with periods of high winds for example. I'm only guessing as I'm not familiar with the layout or inspection plan but fatigue fractures, which I suspect these are, are not always easy to oredict unless you have monitoring in place. The forthcoming investigation will be asking the very question you just have.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha well it looks like you will get a good while out of it m8 so enjoy. I'm delighted I only work a mile from the house, feck doing that every day. Mrs Angus Young goes back to work in the New Year and needs to use the Clackmannanshire Bridge. Already thinking she might be better off looking at trains.

Were you affected by any of the flooding over your way at the weekend?

Nah, a couple of roads were shut near by but i didn't encounter any major issues. :)

If only Edinburgh had the foresight to build a tunnel under the 'river' like Glasgow did.

Used to love going through the tunnel as a lad, the concept just blew my tiny little mind. Took my kids through it a few months ago and they thought it was a bit shite! Their generation sucks!

Used to love going through the tunnel as a lad, the concept just blew my tiny little mind. Took my kids through it a few months ago and they thought it was a bit shite! Their generation sucks!

There is pedestrian and cycle path that runs under the road going through the tunnel. River above you cyclists below you. I've never been through it myself, not sure why.

6294060194_0293e26f30_b.jpg

clyde_tunnel_cross_section_by_phooney.jp

Edited by thplinth

Aye mate, sorry I meant I was working there. I thought you lived near-ish to that, is the reason I asked.

I'm in Larbert. Near-ish but far enough away at the same time. Cheers.

I have no idea how people think you can fix something that isn't broken. And replacing the current broken part would still involve the bridge closing as that part not being there/ being defective makes it structurally unsafe.

I think that is quite an important question and it might be answered during the investigation. If they had decided to do these repairs earlier, would the bridge have had to be closed anyway to do them? If the answer to that is "YES" then it was probably worth taking the chance that the new bridge would be open before the repairs became absolutely essential.

I not sure the answer to that question would definitely be "YES" though.

I think that is quite an important question and it might be answered during the investigation. If they had decided to do these repairs earlier, would the bridge have had to be closed anyway to do them? If the answer to that is "YES" then it was probably worth taking the chance that the new bridge would be open before the repairs became absolutely essential.

I not sure the answer to that question would definitely be "YES" though.

I read recently that transport Scotland intended to do exactly that, wait until the new bridge was open then close the old one for repairs.

Ha ha well it looks like you will get a good while out of it m8 so enjoy. I'm delighted I only work a mile from the house, feck doing that every day. Mrs Angus Young goes back to work in the New Year and needs to use the Clackmannanshire Bridge. Already thinking she might be better off looking at trains.

Were you affected by any of the flooding over your way at the weekend?

Any idea what the traffic is like approaching the Clacks Bridge Northbound? Either my wife or myself will need to drive up to Sauchie & Tillicoultry on Friday afternoon & back again on Saturday afternoon - the Saturday should hopefully be OK, but I can see the Friday afternoon being a complete pain.

The thing is I am no Civil Engineer so would need to rely on one that had actually been involved and seen the issues if there were any to give their analysis of whether it was lack of funding or some other reason. If the Scottish Government have a part to play in this then they clearly have to answer to it but I don't feel particularly qualified to speculate :unsure:

If only you knew a Civil Engineer that could comment.