Have The Wheels Come Off - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have The Wheels Come Off

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel better after reading that.Neilly my mate was out and about cambuslang and it was the most deflated ive heard him, and he is a positive kind of bloke. I have to get off my arse and do something but don't have answers for folk if I go round doors, will go to nearest yes shop next to hampden and ask if I can help. This HAS to happen for us

Cambuslang can be like that! Sometimes you can get 15-3 in favour of YES then sometimes hit a street where a fair few loyal brethren live, but there's always gems in that street too. Just little pockets of them but they are severely rattled at the moment which tells its own story. When Prescott was in Rutherglen main st his only local cheerleaders were members of the Rutherglen Bluebells flute band. Better Together may officially want nothing to do with the oo but they are there best and more or less only campaigners around here. Polling day in halfway may be interesting ;) we are still polling majority Yessers most nights we canvass in this area so tell your pal to keep his chin up nawrat. The momentum and movement is unstoppable.

Incidentally, most groups have stopped canvassing anyway, but if u were out you'd likely be paired with someone experienced anyway. Your local group will still need folk for leafleting, and reminding YES voters to get out and vote. Polling station duty is important too if you can manage a couple of hours. Don't worry about what to say, conversations never tend to get that in depth anyway, just answer from the heart and don't worry about it. It's all everyone else does, it's just important hat we have cover at the polling stations.

Edited by neilly71

Incidentally, most groups have stopped canvassing anyway, but if u were out you'd likely be paired with someone experienced anyway. Your local group will still need folk for leafleting, and reminding YES voters to get out and vote. Polling station duty is important too if you can manage a couple of hours. Don't worry about what to say, conversations never tend to get that in depth anyway, just answer from the heart and don't worry about it. It's all everyone else does, it's just important hat we have cover at the polling stations.

I'm on polling station duty, had the impression you arent allowed to canvass anyone? I take it if someone asks you, you can say whatever?

It seriously depends whereabouts u are, there's plenty of normal unbigoted folk too of all religious (and non) living in Cambuslang. I'm used to canvassing this area and have done a bit of polling station duty too, its also labour central but its a totally different vibe this time round, places like Blantyre are, in general, YES heaven. Westburn is good too. The reception we got on Saturday on the Main St in Ruggie was amazing, so plenty positives. Remember the orange nuggets wouldn't be bothering with us if they hadn't just realised they were going to lose. They've only recently started to do stuff.

I'm on polling station duty, had the impression you arent allowed to canvass anyone? I take it if someone asks you, you can say whatever?

No, you're right, you don't ask people what they intend to vote, don't gt me wrong, Plenty

of folk will tell you anyway but some people ( vety much a minority) will want to ask you about this and that before they go in to vote. It's unlikely you'll change anyone's mind but in the case of undecideds its important we are there to try and get their vote if given th chance to do so, if thy engage you in conversation.

Edited by neilly71

Feel better after reading that.Neilly my mate was out and about cambuslang and it was the most deflated ive heard him, and he is a positive kind of bloke. I have to get off my arse and do something but don't have answers for folk if I go round doors, will go to nearest yes shop next to hampden and ask if I can help. This HAS to happen for us

Plenty stuff still to be delivered round the doors if you don't feel confident enough to speak to folk. Just get in touch with your local YES office. They will give you a pile of stuff and tell you where to deliver it. Plenty of work needs done that doesn't involve you trying to persuade folk face to face. I would say most folk helping out don't like doing that sort of stuff.

My dad who was always a absolute No had changed to a rabid Yes, mainly due to the lies from the media, especially the BBC. So now every member on my family are Yes but sadly I still truly believe it'll be a no vote. I believe the undecided will predominantly vote no. I believe Yes voters are loud and proud so we hear so much from them whilst no voters are slightly shameful so keep quiet. Not all of them of course, but the ones who are voting no because they're alright (so feck anyone else) or through religious bigotry or just plain ignorance because they can't be arsed to look further than from page of paper in newsagent shop, there keeping quiet.

I pray every day I'm wrong.

I've tried to be cautious at all times, thought it would be tight from the very beginning... but I do think we have every chance if we can get the vote out.

The thing that makes me really nervous is the people (on here and elsewhere) who are convinced beyond doubt... How can you be?

Yes vote probably can't be any less than 47 or 48 on the day, and it will take a revolutionary surge to push it above 55. So both results are still possible.

Keep going...

I think you only had to look at Cameron's face today as he was making that speech. He is one truly desperate man, practically begging us to vote NO.

He knows a lot more than we do and you can just detect that all the BT bunch have been seriously caught out with the way in which the polls have tightened. They are shitting enough bricks to build another Hampden.

Just over a week ago it was all but over so they thought, in just over 2 days it looks like their beloved Union could be over.

From the off I have supported Yes but have never been that confident of the end result however I have witnessed many No's being converted to Yes in recent weeks as the 18th draws nearer. A lot of folk in my experience are drawn in far too much by what media has been forcing upon us & many have admitted there is the fear factor as there is a margin of uncertainty. Another feature that has been apparent (only speaking from my social circles) the undecided are feeling intimidated into voting no.

Most frustrating for me are the ones that when you try to have a reasonable discussion just accuse you of lying, hating the English & being brainwashed by Salmond. Nothing you say is correct as you have no 'facts'. Only time will tell with the result but I reckon it may just be down to nerves & not wanting to get carried away as it is such a massive decision & point in our history.

Edited by Rory

Well that is an attempt to introduce Devomax onto the ballot at the last minute in an attempt to spit the Yes vote.

This is not a fair vote, this is too much.

They have broken every rule in book.

If it is a No they can go fukk themselves.

The campaign has been unbelievably sure-footed throughout, but my one really nagging concern is why, right from when Devo something or other surfaced last Sunday, Yes didn't respond by turning this into a referendum not on independence, but on _democracy_. Maybe that's the last big emotive push, saved for Wednesday, but it should have been jumped on sooner. Democracy, for or against.

If the official campaign isn't doing it, we should. Twitters and FBers get a 48-hour deluge going: Vote for Scotland, Vote for Democracy, Vote Yes... Or just Scotland-Democracy-Yes... That's all that needs to be said from now to the close of polls.

[p.s. If it's a narrow No after this, we're straight into constitutional crisis.]

So maybe you are seeing lots of Yes people and banners on the streets, but have a horrible nagging feeling that there are a lot of silent invisible Nos out there.

But would you rather that you were seeing lots of No people and banners on the streets, and had to hope that there are lots of silent invisible Yeses?

I think you only had to look at Cameron's face today as he was making that speech. He is one truly desperate man, practically begging us to vote NO.

He did look distinctly queasy

The declaration has almost 1.5m signatories and the predicted turnout is 3.5-3.8m voters. A shite way to predict a political referendum result I know, but No would have to produce monumental results from the remaining 2-2.3m voters to win based on these figures. Take from that what you will.

Edited by BremnerLorimerGray

The declaration has almost 1.5m signatories and the predicted turnout is 3.5-3.8m voters. A shite way to predict a political referendum result I know, but No would have to produce monumental results from the remaining 2-2.3m voters to win based on these figures. Take from that what you will.

Are signatories all people who can vote?

Are signatories all people who can vote?

Most definitely yes. The signatories are checked against the electoral role to weed out duplication and the Mickey mouse/Donald Duck people.

YES have learned their lesson from the 1979(?) petition which raised around 2 million signatures. Unfortunately a lot of duplication and names from Walt Disney characters gave the UK Government the excuse they wanted and they merely binned the petition.