Scottish Music Venues - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Music Venues

King Tuts is a classic venue but the space is pretty shit.

Barrowlands is good but can be a torture getting a beer. Loved it in teens and twenties. Must have been 20+ times.

Only been once but new Glasgow Art School is very good. Brilliant sound. Good size, between King Tuts & Barrowlands size and good Drygate beers in tap.

I do like Hydro too for big gigs and Armadillo very good for more relaxed gigs. Glasgow is spoilt for choice.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you are going to I suppose. Barras is my favourite although I've had some memorable nights in The Corn Exchange, The Arches, ABC and Usher Hall.

Granted I've only been to Usher Hall once but I thought it was a cracking venue.

Oasis at the Barras 2001 is the best gig I've ever been to anywhere in the UK.

Edit - would also add I've been quite impressed with the Hydro this far. I've only ever been down on the floor for gigs there mind you.

Edited by Angus_Young

I only ever saw inside the Apollo when they were demolishing it. They knocked the back of it down first, so you could stare at the seats and balconies as if you were on the stage. There were guys taking photos on the verge of greetin'.

The Academy is good if you're upstairs. The sound always seemed to escape up to the high ceiling when you were on thr floor. Been a few years since I was down there, maybe they've improved the acoustics though?

Edited by Toepoke

Seen Johnny Marr in garage (moshulu) and going to see the complete stone roses there in December.

The lemon tree can be a wild venue.

Love the closeness you get to a good gig there,most recent ones that I can recall seeing there is the who's who and into the jam.

Seen the pigeon detectives in a place in Edinburgh,which name escapes me,that was a decent venue.

It hosts madchester at the end of every month,or did anyway,that was a good night out.

The Apollo was fantastic

Aye loved the apollo was there 7 or 8 times between 79 and it closing in the upper circle once for the jam honestly thought it was going to cave in and there was definitely nae messing wae the bouncers they took absolutely nae sh1t

Aye - Apollo was my introduction to live music. Fab though the stage was ludicrously high and they had glitter on the walls. Remember being up in the balcony and feeling the whole thing moving freakly with everyone stamping their feet. Still freaks me out when that happens.

I love King Tut's and the ABC. Barrowland is fab - but as others have said can be a nightmare getting a drink. Quite like the Hydro but not really a fan of big gigs.

Glasgow -

The Apollo was probably the daddy of all Scottish gig venues. Today, I like King Tuts, and Ivory Blacks takes some beating when it's packed and jumping. The Hug and Pint's basement (Grt Western Rd) is great when full, as it only holds about 80 people.

Edinburgh -

Used to have some great venues in the 70s/80s - Clouds, Valentinos, La Sorbonne, Jailhouse (Venue), Tiffanys, Astoria, Wee Red Bar, Nite Club. Nowadays it's really just the Citrus Club and Liquid Rooms. The Safari Lounge is Edin's version of the Hug and Pint - only slightly smaller, and much better.

Had a few great nights in the Dreadnought in Bathgate as well.

Glasgow -

The Apollo was probably the daddy of all Scottish gig venues. Today, I like King Tuts, and Ivory Blacks takes some beating when it's packed and jumping. The Hug and Pint's basement (Grt Western Rd) is great when full, as it only holds about 80 people.

Before my time, but its status is legendary. Was there not a famous AC/DC concert at the apollo?

Before my time, but its status is legendary. Was there not a famous AC/DC concert at the apollo?

Most of the "if you want blood you got it" album was recorded there and the full concert was filmed (that's the one where they come out for their encore in full Scotland 78 kits).

AC/DC played the Apollo almost every year in the late 70's and early 80's.... One gig they had to be taken off stage after fans went nuts and trashed the place.

Edited by wanderer

The Barras is fantastic. Saw Steve Earle there in 1990 and it was the best gig I've ever been to. The crowd kept singing Here We Go and twice he had to stop the show because the crowd singing was so loud. There was also a point where they were singing Get Yer Tits Out to his sister.

The next best venue was ... The Venue in Edinburgh, and Earle was again the best of the shows I saw there, this time in 1987. So many people packed in that I watched part of the show standing at an angle, held up by other bodies.

Most of the "if you want blood you got it" album was recorded there and the full concert was filmed (that's the one where they come out for their encore in full Scotland 78 kits).

AC/DC played the Apollo almost every year in the late 70's and early 80's.... One gig they had to be taken off stage after fans went nuts and trashed the place.

was bonn scott the singer then wanderer?