The Saint & Greavsie - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Saint & Greavsie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discussion with a mate regarding the aforementioned duo.

My mate is 10 years younger than me (Im 50 hes 40).

The subject of this pair came up an he hailed them as icons of his football upbringing. Waited with bated breath for their programme every Saturday. He even said hed often record it while watching it and then immediately watch it again afterwards.

He was a trifle surprised when I suggested that they were two of the biggest khunts ever to present a TV programme. For me Greavsie was a bitter little Englander took every opportunity possible to mock and ridicule the Scottish game (at a time when it was actually pretty good) in a way that went way beyond banter. It was stereotypical, lazy punditry of the highest order. On the other side of the desk was The Saint who for me was the best personification of the typical turncoat, Uncle Tom, moaning faced Anglo-Scot going. He made Alan Hansen look like William Wallace.

I suspect that the reason for the difference of opinion is basically because at their peak my mate was a kid and I wasnt.

Views please?

I am more aging with your mate and I remember watching the show. I can't remember Greaves being particularly dismissive of Scottish football (perhaps due to my tender years at the time) but I do remember a couple of fly digs. To be fair to Saint he often put him right, which was a lot easier then than it is now, as there were a lot more good Scottish players playing in England.

I do, however, remember Greaves being quite sneering about Scottish football ahead of the play off in 99, not that he was alone there. I seem to remember him once saying that Alan Gilzean was the best player he had ever played with, so I think he had a bit of grudging respect there.

Personally, though, I preferred the pish take of them that Badiel and Skinner used to do. :)

I had no issue at all with Jimmy Greaves having a go at Scottish football. At least he was up front about it, as having a rivalry. I far prefer that to the totally bland "Oh we want all the home clubs, nations to do well", shite that we get from all the media guys nowadays.

Same goes for Stuart Pearce and Emlyn Hughes, both hated Scotland (in a football sense) with a passion, and didn't care who knew about it. That is the way it should be.......honest.

I had no issue at all with Jimmy Greaves having a go at Scottish football. At least he was up front about it, as having a rivalry. I far prefer that to the totally bland "Oh we want all the home clubs, nations to do well", shite that we get from all the media guys nowadays.

Same goes for Stuart Pearce and Emlyn Hughes, both hated Scotland (in a football sense) with a passion, and didn't care who knew about it. That is the way it should be.......honest.

I wouldn't have had a problem with a bit of rivalry if the wee khunt had the first ####in clue what he was on about. It was the typical ignorant, lazy jibes I couldn't stand.

Probably my first football TV memories were saint and greaves . Spot on with the talksport comparisons, fond memories though. This and 'the big match' on Sunday with Elton Welsby was TV gold. Didn't matter who was playing you'd be glued to the box on a Sunday afternoon with Brian Moore before those fkers came in and decided to charge you a monthly fee.

Probably my first football TV memories were saint and greaves . Spot on with the talksport comparisons, fond memories though. This and 'the big match' on Sunday with Elton Welsby was TV gold. Didn't matter who was playing you'd be glued to the box on a Sunday afternoon with Brian Moore before those fkers came in and decided to charge you a monthly fee.

Aye, great days. Always loved the theme tune of Midweek Sports Special too. Fair got you in the mood for the fitba!

Hughes got it rammed up his arse backwards and forwards in 1974 for his comments before the England game at Hampden. Always remember Big Jock being interviewed that same day before the game and saying words to the effect that an intelligent person should not be saying that about any opponent.

As for Pearce he is a racist. There's plenty of evidence to that effect.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Saint & Greavsie did put their name to a set of Topps football cards released in 1988 and there was some Scotland players in it. I only have a meagre four of them at the moment but if you want a peek, have a look here; but you will have to scroll down to 1988.

http://scotlandepistles.com/cards-stickers/

great website

unfortunately scrolling through you see the quality of player slowly eroding

:lol:

Only 21 caps and 9 goals, pretty good ratio, but quite a low number of caps for a player of that calibre.

Anybody any insight into why? Was someone better keeping him out? Or perhaps the answer will support Markys case?

He moved to England in 1961 and despite playing for Liverpool until 1971, his last Scotland cap was in 1965.

I rest my case.

There were fewer internationals played when St John was playing for example Dave McKay only had 22, Jim Baxter 34, Pat Crerand 16, Billy McNeil 29 and Jimmy Johnstone 23.

mind my da{ rip} that jimmy greaves was some goal scorer.btw

Aye - mine said the same.

Cruelly robbed of World Cup glory through injury when he was England's number 1 striker

Played all of England's group games in 1966 but in the win against France was injured and replaced by Geoff Hurst

One of the French players drew his studs down Greaves's shin - needed 14 stitches and left a permanent scar

He was fit for the final but Ramsey didnt want to change a winning team

Only the 11 players on the park got a winners medal - he eventually got one in 2009

It was after his playing career that he descended into alcoholism which emphasises the effect amongst other things it had on him

Aye - mine said the same.

Cruelly robbed of World Cup glory through injury when he was England's number 1 striker

Played all of England's group games in 1966 but in the win against France was injured and replaced by Geoff Hurst

One of the French players drew his studs down Greaves's shin - needed 14 stitches and left a permanent scar

He was fit for the final but Ramsey didnt want to change a winning team

Only the 11 players on the park got a winners medal - he eventually got one in 2009

It was after his playing career that he descended into alcoholism which emphasises the effect amongst other things it had on him

good post mate

Had the good fortune to spend some time in Ian St John's company a couple of years ago, then one of my pished up mates asked him if Greavsie ever told him the real story about Bobby Moore and the stolen jewellery. St John just got up and left. :D

great website

unfortunately scrolling through you see the quality of player slowly eroding

Thanks, maybe I should have went with the newest first. Will be adding more cards over the next week, so keep looking again.

http://scotlandepistles.com/cards-stickers/

Also added a pen pics section and a summary of Ian St. John's Scotland career is included among them.

http://scotlandepistles.com/pen-pics/

There were fewer internationals played when St John was playing for example Dave McKay only had 22, Jim Baxter 34, Pat Crerand 16, Billy McNeil 29 and Jimmy Johnstone 23.

Aye, I know that.

Think there might have been one or two tho between 1965 and 1971 when he was still at the top of his game.

Not having lived through the 60s it was hard to believe the old joker in the jumper had been such a lethal marksman in his day...

60's & 70's - the best period for real football, from the fans to the players, it was a game at the time that was kept in perspective .

The Saint & Greavsie show was a must see on a saturday lunchtime, as for Greavsie being anti-scottish [as some have mentioned on here] - Just remember this ,

"Greavsie read the same history book as the Saint did but from a different angle" !!!!!