The Saint & Greavsie - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Saint & Greavsie

I remember Jas Greaves saying that after the game he used to go into the local where fans would buy him a few jars, then get the bus up the road.

Compare that to today's aresholes.

Yeah. Today's arseholes would buy their own beer.

Tightarsed wee khunt :-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ally Bongo may know what the reason for Greavsie's infatuation with the Accies was?

The Saint became a bit of an Aberdeen gloryhunter. Used to refer to them as "my team" when they did their Scottish section.

I think it's him you hear cheering in the background when Hewitt scored in Gothenburg. He certainly did it on other occasions when co-commentating on games featuring the Dons...

The Saint became a bit of an Aberdeen gloryhunter. Used to refer to them as "my team" when they did their Scottish section.

I think it's him you hear cheering in the background when Hewitt scored in Gothenburg. He certainly did it on other occasions when co-commentating on games featuring the Dons...

Yes, he was doing the full ITV commentary with Bryan Moore (while in Scotland we got Jock Brown, and Billy McNeil) for the final.

Ally Bongo may know what the reason for Greavsie's infatuation with the Accies was?

Aye, the Saint knew class when he saw it :wink2:

I remember Jas Greaves saying that after the game he used to go into the local where fans would buy him a few jars, then get the bus up the road.

Compare that to today's aresholes.

A guy down this way called Ted Phillips was a local suffolk guy who played for Ipswich Town in the early sixties, he used to travel to and from games on the local bus.

If he had a good game one week the next week a guy on the bus would give him a couple of rabbits , he said the boss [Alf Ramsey] could not understand why there would be 2 dead rabbits hanging up in the changing room prior to a game !!!

Yes, he was doing the full ITV commentary with Bryan Moore (while in Scotland we got Jock Brown, and Billy McNeil) for the final.

Cheers. Thought it was Billy McNeill which confused me a bit.

For me “Greavsie” was a bitter little Englander took every opportunity possible to mock and ridicule the Scottish game (at a time when it was actually pretty good) in a way that went way beyond banter. It was stereotypical, lazy punditry of the highest order.

To be fair we gave him plenty of ammo with some of the clips we sent down there. Anyone mind this? (Need to fast forward to 10 mins 10)...

Edited by Toepoke

Cheers. Thought it was Billy McNeill which confused me a bit.

Aye, for years only the full ITV version was available to buy off collectors, and is ruined somewhat by Bryan Moore spending the whole of extra-time apologising to people tuning in to watch some movie that ITV had listed for showing.

It was more of a patronising fondness than an infatuation

Great bit about it here - an interview with Ian St John

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2475

You started in Scotland with Hamilton Academicals ...

Motherwell - Hamilton Academicals… First question - first mistake [st John pretends to shoot me with his finger].

Motherwell were the big rival to Hamilton. I was at Motherwell for 5 years. I was playing for Scotland in the Scottish league and under 23-team. I was a high-profile player, getting 16 pounds a week. Got married when I was 20. The club got us an apartment near the ground.

So altogether a brilliant start to the improvised interview… in Scottish football terms it was probably the equivalent of confusing Liverpool with Everton… God forbid.

There was just a mile from the centre of Motherwell to Hamilton.

Hamilton would never be a good team even go back to when I was a kid. Motherwell were a big team. My friend, Jimmy Greaves, is the vice president of the Accies.

On TV [The Saint and Greavsie Show] we were talking about Liverpool one day and I said 'You'll never walk alone' and Greavsie said: 'Unless you're a Hamilton Accies fan.' The Hamilton Accies wrote to us and said 'Why don't you come up?' So we took the car and went up and did a great piece on Hamilton Accies. Gave them great coverage. And then they said: 'We'll make Jimmy a vice president.' I couldn't because of my links with Motherwell. So he's the vice president. That was all fun and that's the Accies.

I revise my previous criticisms. The were all right.

Watched them again on Skinner and Baddiel show (Football Fantasy s) and compared to those pair of cocksuckers they came across very well.

In a way they were old school football humour while Baddiel and Skinner were that that like wee shitebag Ben Elton doing his sneering whank act. Not humour in its own right just attacking other acts.