Mark Burchills Xenophobia On Clyde 1 Regarding Oduwa - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark Burchills Xenophobia On Clyde 1 Regarding Oduwa

Burchill, in trying to justify the actions of his players in the Petrofac Cup tie against Rangers last night and Kieron Gibbons in particular, stated that:

"Kieron Gibbons is a young, talented Scottish footballer who has signed for a Scottish club. Nathan Oduwa is an English footballer who has not signed for a Scottish club. So we are dragging someone over the coals who is one of our own - who is a player who could possibly play for Scotland in the future."

His comments are at best xenophobic and at worst casual racism.

The idea that Scottish players should be able to get away with serious foul play if their target is of another nationality is quite incredible.

I'm hearing the SFA have been emailed copies of the statement and transmission this evening.

I'm hearing the SFA have been emailed copies of the statement and transmission this evening.

:lol:

I'd be amazed if they hadn't!

I agree with your point btw, just can't ever imagine making a recording to send to the SFA.

:shocked:

If I was a posty in Livi, I'd be getting a sick line in!

Agree with Burchill, a foreign player coming up here for a short period of time to play which deters the opportunity of a young Scottish player coming through and developing further. Pretty pish situation and i firmly agree with Burchill.

Hmmm, so you'd have been happy with folk piling in to Denayer when he was at Celtic?

Don't be so stupid and insular.

Loan players from down south are going to be a bigger and bigger part of our game and anyone that thinks it's ok to kick foreigners is a total dick in my opinion.

Ranks alongside the casual racism being pursued by our lovely Tory government.

Was Oduwa injured by these challenges? how many Livi players were sent off for these shocking challenges?

Yes he was.

Needed lengthy treatment after first challenge 10secs into game. & didn't appear second half due to serious of knocks he suffered in first half.

I think that's the point.

Gibbons ought to have been.

What a fanny

Although it does look like Radio Clyde set him up a bit

To be honest, they didn't. I listened to the show on the way home last night and it was his opening statement where Gerry McCulloch basically gave him the opportunity to give his version of events before any of the callers phoned in and Burchill rather clumsily came out with that nonsense.

For what it's worth, I think it's just another example of a (former) footballer inadvertently saying something more sinister than he initially intended. The difference with this is, he obviously knew he was going to be on the show and therefore had time to 'practice' his statement and seemingly chose not to and instead started rambling on about nationality for some bizarre reason.

Is the one that has caused the Burchill controversy the one at the start?

It looks nowhere near as bad on video as it does in the freeze frame.

I think I'd be going yellow.

Was any action taken?

I can accept Deecie talking mince but I expected better of you :wink2: Regardless it is Burchill's post match comments that will land him in trouble,

Edited by EddardStark

Is the one that has caused the Burchill controversy the one at the start?

It looks nowhere near as bad on video as it does in the freeze frame.

I think I'd be going yellow.

Was any action taken?

the challenge is on the i player link further up. Just thought I would add another example of what Oduwa endured in the game.

Edited by EddardStark

the challenge is on the i player link further up. Just thought I would add another example of what Oduwa endured in the game.

Looking at your wee gif of the other stuff, that would certainly make it look like the players were acting on the instructions of their manager.

So, I'd perhaps wonder if Burchill's 'clumsy' comments are more of an attempt to defend himself rather than his players...