Scott Brown To Call It Quits? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown To Call It Quits?

Shaun

Hope he doesn't pack it in as he is still a good player even if not the best and I think it should be up to the manager to retire a player. That being said he was a better player when he was at Hibs 10 years ago - full of tricks but still athletic but used it to drive forward and attack rather than 'run around getting in people's faces' (of course he did that too). Celtic manager of the time seemed obsessed with buying up the best attacking midfielders in the league (other examples being Hartley and Robson) and turning them into hatchet man. Now what ever happened to that manager…?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of goals Scotland lost this campaign from Scott Brown being dragged out of position was unreal.

He is like a dog chasing a crisp packet in the park, anything that moves he cannot help himself charging after it.

Part of that is Strachans fault in never really having a proper DM that will look at Brown and sit in when he goes chasing. To play Morrison and Brown away to Georgia was insane as neither think defensively.

Only player can really remember doing the job properly was Mulgrew at home to Ireland but that was just a one off.

I fear for your sanity in that case bud :-))

How many times has Scott Allen featured for you since his move out of interest? Asked this the other day and didn't get an answer.

He's been injured to be fair to him.

He was tongue in cheek but Christie and Armstrong def have the potential to play for Scotland anyway.

Allan Christie Armstrong in the centre for Celtic and Scotland.

Champions league games one week, scoring goals v England the next.

as soon as your foes return to the top league you will be dispensing with young Scottish talent and buying foreign anyway

He is not the enigmatic tough man he likes to think he is.he has been found out on more than one occasion.that why he will never play in a better league.he has too much to lose.I'm Scott broon and I'll knock u doon as they say.while I wouldn't like to see him quit.I do think he should be stripped of captaincy.

When he went off last night with Ritchie, while Ritchie got a few pats on the back, the whole bench seemed to be going out of their way to shake Browns hand.

Could be nothing, but impression was he is chucking it (also had the same feeling about Hutton after the game as his body language was that he was done).

Will be a loss in the sense that its a midfielder we cannot select when we have injuries but I didn't feel he offered much at all in this campaign... He should be an understudy to Fletcher and McCarthur in the next campaign or he can take the easy route and just pack it in because he senses what is coming

I've always liked both players for Scotland (Brown and Hutton) would be disappointed to see either of them chuck it.

The early post questioning Browns patriotism seems ridiculous!

I'd be really surprised and slightly disappointed if Brown "retired" from international duty, and I'd think strachan would be urging anyone close to chucking it to take some time before making a rash decision.

Personally I don't agree with players "retiring" from international football anyway, if your country want/need you, you should be available.

Brown doesn't have enough to his game to be an international CM, let alone captaining the side.

I also think Hutton's time should be up.

Yep, Ill disciplined both positionally and mentally. Very little creativity and for all the hustle and bustle (usually) shown very little end product that is beneficial to the team

We could cope in the midfield if Brown retired, unfortunately the same thing can't be said at RB if Hutton walks.

russel martin can play there, who is in fact a right back

judging by martins performces at centre half in last few games greer or mulgrew could play in the middle and wouldn't be much difference

I don't want to see any player retire

I didn't want to see even commons go

but if brown and hutton walk I doubt it would make much impact

what we lost in hutton going forward we might get some actual defending at right back for once

Seems to be a lot of random hate in this thread.. :/

I'm not sure now is the ideal moment for us to lose Brown.

The alternatives:

Darren Fletcher - Looks washed up every time he's wore a shirt lately. Was a liability, giving hte ball away repeatedly against Gibraltar.. which is depressing.

James McArthur - Looks decent for Palace and seems to mix attacking and defending well. Not sure he's reliable enough, diving in again Germany. *shiver*

James Morrison - Tidy with the ball, but not a destroyer. He cam play in the mid, but needs someone along side him to will put tackles in.

Charlie Mulgrew - Probably the most reliable guy we have in this position. Brown looked better with Mulgrew along side him.

Graham Dorrans - Unimpressive against Gibraltar. Nothing he tried came off and I suspect he's not good enough defensively.

Liam Bridcutt - The forgotten man at Sunderland. Haven't see enough of him at top level to know. Needs a loan to get games.

Stuart Armstrong - Generally more of a forward thinking player from what I've seen. Can he do the job of breaking things up or better supporting a striker?

Kevin McDonald - Worth a game to see if he can step up.

Ryan Jack - I'm not convinced his ball retention is good enough for international level. But we need to blood younger players, so would be in the squad.

John Souttar - Seems to have shifted to midfield for Dundee United. Still way too early to involve him tho really.

I don't think it's ideal to lose Brown, given Fletcher's done and Dorrans isn't suited to the role. It'd leave us with only Mulgrew and Morrison with experience there. I'd rather have 2 from the three of Mulgrew, Brown, Morrison and 2 of Bridcutt, McDonald, Jack being involved. Brown's not a vital player, but unless we have better than those in the shirts, we should be using the likes of him, Maloney and Hutton. To drop players in the hope that someone else miraculously comes good is not a sensible way to go about things.

If this is true and he does quit then it's a kick in the teeth for WGS who backed him as captain and first team regular ahead of Darren Fletcher throughout the campaign.

If he's of the mind to quit, then he's not someone I want around the team... Same goes for Hutton. Woy made a big deal about all the English players singing their anthem and I think he's right. Give me 11 players that want to belt out FoS over those that just stand there emotionless any day. Anyone got the stats on the correlation to those that don't sing to those that call off friendlies/ retire early?

I've no idea why so many posters think Fletcher's finished. He may not be at his best, but I still think he's a much better bet than Broon to lead the team in the middle of the park.