Does Anyone Actually Realise ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does Anyone Actually Realise ?

Ally Bongo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ColtNY

Our "brand" of football is murder?

We're a technically limited team along the lines as yourselves and I'm sure the other Scottish lads in here would happily accept our 4 points (over the world champions no less) against the best team in the group. You have to play to your strengths and ours is to set ourselves up first and foremost not to get beat. I'd rather our 4 points than a moral 'we took the game to Germany away' victory with no points.

And if we do get to France, I don't think we'll be a pushover and we've certainly gained a lot more respect around Europe with that draw in Germany not just being a fluke.

It's a fantastic achievement if it was yourselves, N.I. or Wales who got those 2 results against Germany.

Edited by irish

@ColtNY

Our "brand" of football is murder?

We're a technically limited team along the lines as yourselves and I'm sure the other Scottish lads in here would happily accept our 4 points (over the world champions no less) against the best team in the group. You have to play to your strengths and ours is to set ourselves up first and foremost not to get beat. I'd rather our 4 points than a moral 'we took the game to Germany away' victory with no points.

And if we do get to France, I don't think we'll be a pushover and we've certainly gained a lot more respect around Europe with that draw in Germany not just being a fluke.

It's a fantastic achievement if it was yourselves, N.I. or Wales who got those 2 results against Germany.

Yep.. That's fair enough... There's no doubt everyone on this board would prefer your results playing the way you have than our results playing the way we have (which isn't much more enterprising). I do think that out of the teams that fanatyk posted though, yours is the only one that may have a gripe with the manager within the next year or so.

Been awake since 5 and feel incredibly depressed and more so because of the fact of whose all going to France from the UK.

s.

On flip side surely getting rid of my one group stage ticket in St Etteinne will be easy but known Scottish luck not one UK country will play in that match I have the ticket for!!!

I personally won't be joining the orange march to the stadium next summer. And maybe it's a good thing to avoid the inevitable Brit fest that the media will cook up for us.

Anyway, Scotland are a better team than both Poland and Ireland and this is backed up both by the head to head results and the fifa rankings. Where we lost out was this sense of belief against Germany. We were always going to lose out in those matches because we have this constant inferiority complex.

Ireland basically strangle the game of football to get their points. Its not pretty and nothing to really be proud of but at this point I'd probably take it.

Who gives a f what the other countries think. We've came into a hard group, and one silly defeat against a team we should be beating has knocked us out. One result coupled with with the Irish grinding out a couple of good results has done it.

Any of the others groups we may have qualified from easier. But so is life.

I work down England and certainly don't care what the others are going to be saying to me today.

Remember how long it took Northern Ireland to get to the finals...our time will come.

Em......

We were drawn in a group with three decent sides and we finished fourth.

That's kind of the end of the story. No need for an over-reaction.

No need for an over-reaction, we have been mince for years and the others have got on with it, and now they are in and we are out, we lack belief and if we do get the odd result it is met with unbridled celebration, what does that tell you. Things have to change and change fast. You won`t be able to turn on your telly next summer.

I personally won't be joining the orange march to the stadium next summer. And maybe it's a good thing to avoid the inevitable Brit fest that the media will cook up for us.

Anyway, Scotland are a better team than both Poland and Ireland and this is backed up both by the head to head results and the fifa rankings. Where we lost out was this sense of belief against Germany. We were always going to lose out in those matches because we have this constant inferiority complex.

Ireland basically strangle the game of football to get their points. Its not pretty and nothing to really be proud of but at this point I'd probably take it.

No we're not a better team than them. They've had a better set of results against the same set if opponents. They're better than us as the table demonstrates.

I'm fed up if this. Not going back again.

Usually I like watching the Euro / World Cup tournaments during the summer however, I don't think I'll be able to bear watching next years one. All other home nations being there and we're sitting at home. Something has to be done immediately on the subject of bringing younger players through because at the moment I cannot see a team of upcoming talented players. Utterly dejected.

Usually I like watching the Euro / World Cup tournaments during the summer however, I don't think I'll be able to bear watching next years one. All other home nations being there and we're sitting at home. Something has to be done immediately on the subject of bringing younger players through because at the moment I cannot see a team of upcoming talented players. Utterly dejected.

But who are we going to rely on to do it? It has to come from government. The Clubs and SFA aren't interested.

We are a set up as a team of shitebags.

We try to play such a contained and structured game and have inferiority complex due to our technical gap in ability.

That doesn't matter to Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland. Those teams just go ahead and roll over oppositions and grind out results.

We play far too contained a game and have no ambition to go and take any game by the scruff of the neck and win it. Even the wins we've had (Ireland & Georgia) have been narrow margins and even Gibraltar wasn't convincing.

Agreed.

Who gives a f what the other countries think. We've came into a hard group, and one silly defeat against a team we should be beating has knocked us out. One result coupled with with the Irish grinding out a couple of good results has done it.

Any of the others groups we may have qualified from easier. But so is life.

I work down England and certainly don't care what the others are going to be saying to me today.

Remember how long it took Northern Ireland to get to the finals...our time will come.

At last a reasonable response to what happened. That flukey goal doesn't make it over the line in the last second, the Irish stop being a jammy shower of c''nts for once, and we are being lauded as heroes, but essentially nothing about our performance would be different. Fickle doesn't even come close. Supporting Scotland sucks beyond belief and that was only compounded by having to witness my 12 year old son in tears at the end of the game. I feel like telling him right now to give it up as no good can ever come from it. Unless the Government can get involved and strive to make us luckier!

What a complete laughing stock we now are ?

Sitting at home next summer when potentially England, Wales, N Ireland & Ireland have all qualified and we havent ?

When the dejection of tonight has worn off can you imagine what thats going to be like as the tournament draws near ?

It's unthinkable of what it's going to be like

Are there enough people within those that run our game, including all the professional clubs, to say enough is enough and have an emergency summit to take drastic action ?

I think we all know the answer to that but they need to convince us that they too find this completely unacceptable and come up with a plan

Getting rid of Regan and Broadfoot would be a good start

Its no good blindly saying after another failure that there has been progress

The Scottish Government have to get involved as well

We have to decide that if football is going to be our National game then it has to be something that can inspire us and give the country pride because for the whole of my lifetime it hasnt been in the main.

Everything about Scottish football at the moment is third rate (including Hampden) and we are paying top dollar for the pleasure

Can't disagree with any of that, thanks to the unionists they made sure that we didn't have a chance at hosting a tournament and all the good stuff that would have come with it. Time people started paying attention, this union is shafting us in more ways than one. Head in the sand ignorance.

Edited by Bzzzz

Apart from the misery approaching next summer when we will have to everything we can to ignore all the media and flags on cars etc etc...is there anything we can learn from the smaller nations who are now streets ahead of us ?

Our near neighbours Iceland are probably the biggest success of all. They have a population less than maybe Aberdeen or Dundee and yet TOP their group which included Holland.

They used to be a lowly team so what steps did they take to launch up to being a group winner ?

Iceland have bred a once in a lifetime set of players there. Be interesting to see how they managed it!