Scotthis Team Mystery - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One for the older TAMBers

On the GotNotGot blog, they are looking to find out about a team group featuring a star-studded line up of 70s Scottish League players. https://gotnotgot.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/scots-mash-up-team-group-mystery/

scot-team-grp.jpg?w=640&h=946

They originally thought it might be a promo pic for the launch of the Premier League, but there are many teams missing - Hearts, Aberdeen etc- -though they mistakenly thought the goalie might be Bobby Clarke - I think it looks more like Gordon Marshall.

My other thoughts were Writers Team of the Year/Footballer of the Year shortlist, or Scottish League XI, but can't find anything to back this up. Anyone any idea?

Most of the players are pretty famous and easy to identify, but I couldn't work out the Dundee or Motherwell players.

I think the keeper is the great Jim Cruickshank. My pal is his son, I'm sure I have seen that picture before.

Think you are right

season-19751976-hearts-jim-cruickshank-B

And it's deffo Joe Wark

joe-wark-1352794.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

I thought it was Hansen at first glance then zoomed in a little more and now I'm not 100% certain.

Didn't his brother also play with him at Partick ?

Either way I'd put money on that it's one of the Hansens.

Aye, it's Alan Hansen alright. His signature is even on the top of the photo!

My first reaction was the keeper was wearing East Fife top. Ernie McGarr? I think he was capped for Scotland

That's why I thought it was Roddie McKenzie. I remember him being sent back to the dressing-room to change his shirt during the warm-up at Bayview once in the 70's as his shirt was too similar to East Fife's. Funny the weird things that stick in your memory!

Aye, it's Alan Hansen alright. His signature is even on the top of the photo!

:-)) Google image search confirms it.

The autographs are Jardine, Johnstone, Hansen, Stanton and McLean.

Bizarre personal trivia, the first time I heard Alan Hansen speak was on the car radio coming home from the 1979 League Cup final (he'd scored for Liverpool that day) where I had just met and got autographs of the other 4 players above!

Edited by Toepoke