Why Do Sky And The Bbc Treat Ireland Like They're Part Of The Uk ? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why Do Sky And The Bbc Treat Ireland Like They're Part Of The Uk ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell, I see the boards' resident loony has struck again :)

To Rossy I can't say it's ever bothered me. I would say yer point is fair enough until reading that they need to pay for BBC themselves (which I didn't know until now)

Anyway your complaints are irrelevant just now. That mob should be concentrating fully on fair and balanced reporting of us and nothing else........right??!!! :D

Just wondering.

The equal coverage of the RoI is a bit nauseating, considering they're a foreign country and have their own broadcaster(s).

I thought the BBC told us that come independence, we wouldn't get any coverage ?

Fuxsake, we get more coverage of Ireland on the BBC and Sky than we do Scotland.

and when we become independent we will get the same coverage and even East Enders... mores the pity...

you have a weird concept of 'foreign' - I like foreigners...

Well, this is quite the thread!

To answer the original poster's question. I'm pretty sure Sky broadcasts to Great Britain and Ireland so viewers in the Republic pay for and see the same content as viewers in Inverness, Swansea and Norwich.

The BBC is a stranger beast however, technically BBC Northern Ireland is the equivalent of BBC Scotland and there's obviously not a BBC Republic of Ireland. However most folk in the Republic can pick up BBC Northern Ireland and a large minority of the population of Northern Ireland support the Republic rather than Northern Ireland at football.

I have no idea however if a proportion of the Republic's TV licence fee goes towards BBC NI or not- maybe our Irish posters can enlighten us if they haven't been put off by some of the more outlandish posts in this thread.

To answer the original poster's question. I'm pretty sure Sky broadcasts to Great Britain and Ireland so viewers in the Republic pay for and see the same content as viewers in Inverness, Swansea and Norwich.

The BBC is a stranger beast however, technically BBC Northern Ireland is the equivalent of BBC Scotland and there's obviously not a BBC Republic of Ireland. However most folk in the Republic can pick up BBC Northern Ireland and a large minority of the population of Northern Ireland support the Republic rather than Northern Ireland at football.

I have no idea however if a proportion of the Republic's TV licence fee goes towards BBC NI or not- maybe our Irish posters can enlighten us if they haven't been put off by some of the more outlandish posts in this thread.

Outlandish? :lol:

This is sedate for this place. You should have a look at some of the old Rangers threads before Dave King's takeover.

Outlandish? :lol:

This is sedate for this place. You should have a look at some of the old Rangers threads before Dave King's takeover.

I will see your Rangers threads at time of the takeover and raise you the threads in the run up to the Rangers UEFA Cup final!!

Regarding the ROI coverage, I honestly don't give a monkeys one way or another. They will continue to get coverage because the majority of their players play in the UK domestic game.

Actually I didn't read previous posts properly, it was Sky some others were referring to. Not sure what the script is with BBC.

A quick google suggests there is a 'memorandum of understanding' in place between the two governments so that Govt. led channels (RTE) in Ireland can be viewed in Northern Ireland and vice versa with the BBC.

The article is a few years old though and it seemed to suggest the switch to digital TV might cause a few problems.

me I must be bored if I felt compelled to look up this sort of pish :)

I will see your Rangers threads at time of the takeover and raise you the threads in the run up to the Rangers UEFA Cup final!!

Ahhhhh, the gold old days.

I miss Tartan Teddy's obscured viewpoint from the Govan Rear.

Actually I didn't read previous posts properly, it was Sky some others were referring to. Not sure what the script is with BBC.

A quick google suggests there is a 'memorandum of understanding' in place between the two governments so that Govt. led channels (RTE) in Ireland can be viewed in Northern Ireland and vice versa with the BBC.

The article is a few years old though and it seemed to suggest the switch to digital TV might cause a few problems.

me I must be bored if I felt compelled to look up this sort of pish :)

But the equal coverage of a foreign nation(specifically ROI) is nauseating nauseating.

Edited by phart

But the equal coverage of a foreign nation(specifically ROI) is nauseating nauseating.

Haha this has me chuckling. Have you ever noticed that some words/phrases were never in your life, until the creation of fitba message boards? 'Nauseating' is certainly of that ilk. You can add that to 'cretin', 'subservient' and 'cockwomble'.

Ahhhhh, the gold old days.

I miss Tartan Teddy's obscured viewpoint from the Govan Rear.

Probably even before the UEFA Cup final there was a Rangers fan who used to end every post with "Still smiling", can't quite remember in relation to what. It was a little grating. I often thought of him when Rangers were on their deathbed.....

Probably even before the UEFA Cup final there was a Rangers fan who used to end every post with "Still smiling", can't quite remember in relation to what. It was a little grating. I often thought of him when Rangers were on their deathbed.....

I'll guess at Sleepy Boy, he's the kind of fanny that'd do that :lol:

Yep... some of the Irish license fee goes to pay for the BBC's channels. I think i get pretty much everything (apart from the red button stuff, and iPlayer) from my Irish cable providers basic package.

Have a read - http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-price-of-the-bbc/